Need new monitor, multimedia usage, around 15k, more than 24"

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I messed up. The crooked computer table I was using reared its ugly side leading to the fall of my beautiful monitor HP 22XW which I bought about 3 years ago. The display cracked and now I am trying to salvage something of it by going to Nehru Place as I am drafting this thread. So help me out to get a bigger, better, and more possibly more beautiful monitor than before. Maybe I would buy something from current Amazon sale which is ongoing.

1. Budget?
Around 15k. Can push to even 20k since I don't want to compromise on quality. But under 15 would be nice to achieve.

2. Display type and size?
Since last monitor was 22" now I want bigger. Maybe 24". Maybe even 27".

3. What will the TV/monitor be used for primarily?
Multimedia since I have a huge list of movies and series to binge with now a bigger audience, my wifu. Secondary usage would be programming. But I think occasional gaming is on the table too. Although I dont need 144hz or freesync that's for sure. I am not anymore a gamer.

4. Types and number of ports required?
The usual, HDMI, VGA. Possibility of AUX if it has inbuilt speaker too, but that's not a must. Does todays monitors come with USB ports too?

5. Preferred choice of brand?
None. I just want a sleek, least bezel, good color reproduction etc.

6. Any TV/monitor in consideration?
I am going in blind my man.

7. Any other info that you want to share.
Can I go for a wider screen monitors? Are there any good options? What about those curved monitors? Worth it?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
There are ultrawides in this range, even some curved ones from Samsung.
Honestly I've never used a curved monitor, so I don't know how good they are..
Get a proper IPS or VA monitor though, Samsung, LG would be prime choice

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Problem with IPS panels are that they are very costly to repair. As I am currently finding out, new display for my cracked HP 22XW is coming out to be more than 6k. Needless to say I cant repair that now.
Also came to CostToCost in Nehru place to see a demo of monitors to get an idea. Its impossible. I think its easier to sort through monitors online and trusting reviews of the same then looking at an array of monitors in person. So now I trust you guys.

Need some models for shortlisting.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.amazon.in/LG-23-8-Borderless-Monitor-Built/dp/B01BGI6GZC

*www.amazon.in/BenQ-inch-Bezel-Monitor-Built/dp/B073NTCT4R/

Nerevarine

Incarnate
You should not buy a monitor with the intention of repairing it in the future man. That is definitely not the "problem" with IPS..
The real issues with IPS panel is IPS Glow, Backlight bleeding.. and not so deep blacks... (and response times if you are hArDcOrE gaEmeR)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Resolution ?

*www.amazon.in/LG-29UM69G-Ultrawide...EDTFT9SZXP9&psc=1&refRID=NKX2TQEEBEDTFT9SZXP9

*www.amazon.in/LG-inch-63-5-Ultrawi...RMVW7F078ST&psc=1&refRID=BQT95H6S3RMVW7F078ST

*www.amazon.in/HP-Z4N75AA-27-inch-C...RMVW7F078ST&psc=1&refRID=BQT95H6S3RMVW7F078ST

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The suggestions by you are good! That wide screen monitor looks amazing!
I have a tough decision to make today.

Zangetsu

Just Rank your priorities and it will be easy to select.
1. Movies (IPS)
2. Programming (IPS/VA)
3. Gaming (VA)

27" will be a better choice if you are into Movies stuff.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't forget that wide monitor screen aspect ratio is not 16:9 which is the common aspect ration for lots of multimedia(especially downloaded material like tv series & anime).

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Just looked at some youtube reviews. And one thing is clear. Wide angle monitors will have low height. So even in 29" untra wide I wont get much height. So to an ultra wide maybe best for productivity, but it will kill multimedia experience. And I can always increase the number of monitor if I need productivity. Hence I have decided that I will be leaving ultra wide in favor of a larger but normal 16:9 monitors.

Also the HP Z4N75AA 27-inch which was suggested seems to be real beauty, but I am not sure if I am ready to pay a premium for this curved monitor yet (more than 20k). Don't know how much the curve benefits, I would think much less so, when the main objective is viewing multimedia from a distance. So that is out too.

So till now I am gravitating towards, BenQ GW2780, 27 inch. But it's IPS. And that's one thing I want to discuss about.
As @Nerevarine mentioned, IPS panels are great, but they can't produce true blacks. I am worried about that now. Since I have experienced that in the HP 22XW which I had. So what you guys think? Should I go for VA panel if my main objective here is multimedia consumption?

If VA panel is preferred, I think this curved monitor from Samsung is cutting the sweet deal: *www.amazon.in/Samsung-inch-68-6-Curved-Monitor/dp/B01GFPGHVE. A 27" curved monitor at less than Rs 14k!

@Zangetsu : Are you sure for movies IPS is best?

Edit: HOW ABOUT THIS BEHEMOTH OF THE MONITOR AT JUST Rs 18K!
*www.amazon.in/Acer-ED322Q-31-5-inch-Computer-Speakers/dp/B07GYZDYK7

Last edited:

Zangetsu

VA panel is mainly suggested for Gaming and faster refresh rate.
True that they have perfect blacks & excellent contrast ratio but the color reproduction is much better in IPS.
So, for photo enthusiasts who do lots of photo editing color accuracy and wider color gamut is what they look most and prefer IPS.
Plus, for Movie viewers IPS has got the best color accuracy including the viewing angles.

Don't forget to look into the brightness (cd/m²) as you don't want a dull experience in movies.

You can buy a curved monitor and you won't have any complaints with it.

Conclusion: If you have dark room & you will be sitting straight to the monitor for movies etc...then VA would be better

if you have more people watching movies then IPS is a no brainer.

Go through this video:

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Make sure to see a curved monitor in action before buying as it is quite subjective.I have seen some in showrooms & couldn't adjust to "curve" while watching. Also it is not that IPS can't produce true blacks but rather VA panels produce deeper blacks & even then it only affects certain situations.
IPS vs VA: Comparing LCD types found in TVs
VA technology is far beyond IPS panels when it comes to contrast. Blacks are far darker, and it shows. When in a dark environment, blacks will appear gray on IPS TVs, substantially diminishing the experience. VA contrast ratios usually range from 3000:1 to 6000:1, IPS typically have contrast ratios closer to 1000:1. Because of this, VA LCDs will always top our Movie ratings, only surpassed by OLEDs. This only impairs the dark room performance, though, since the difference is far less visible in a bright environment.

*www.amazon.in/BenQ-EW277HDR-27-inch-Monitor-Speaker/dp/B074Z4CNFX/

Btw I suggest getting a LED TV which would be far better for multimedia
*www.amazon.in/Samsung-108cm-Inches-UA43N5010ARXXL-Black/dp/B07QZQZTSV/
*www.amazon.in/Sony-inches-Bravia-Smart-KLV-32W672F/dp/B07C9L4GB5/

*www.amazon.in/Dell-Ultra-Wide-IPS-Monitor-D3218HN/dp/B07767YLNC/
*www.amazon.in/LG-27MP38VQ-27inch-Full-Monitor/dp/B01ID7M9TQ/

I can tell you this,a good larger IPS screen beats a smaller VA screen with deeper blacks any day for multimedia consumption.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Alright. So I think I have shortlisted two monitors. I don't really mind a VA panel monitor, since I would mostly be watching it straight and not through an angle. I also like watching my multimedia content in dark environment, so that's why I am still considering VA panel.

So for IPS, as @whitestar_999 have suggested:
*www.amazon.in/Dell-Ultra-Wide-IPS-Monitor-D3218HN/dp/B07767YLNC/

For VA I think this is a stunning model:
*www.amazon.in/Acer-ED322Q-31-5-inch-Computer-Speakers/dp/B07GYZDYK7

Since the Acer one is slightly curved, it also negates some of the negative aspects of it being a VA panel. Isn't it? Does the Acer one looks good??

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yes. The dipping price might have been the result of them trying to clear the stocks.
Well, how about the Acer one then? Reviews are very generous about the same!

Nerevarine

Incarnate
32 inch is very bad choice if you are going to be doing stuff at 1080p. Unless you plan to use the monitor solely as a TV.

Sweetspot ->
24 inch 1080p
27 inch 1440p
32 inch 2160p

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks good but like I said,curved screen is subjective.Have you seen curved monitors/TVs playing multimedia content before,if yes & you felt fine then acer one looks good.

32 inch is very bad choice if you are going to be doing stuff at 1080p. Unless you plan to use the monitor solely as a TV.

Sweetspot ->
24 inch 1080p
27 inch 1440p
32 inch 2160p
It is ok for casual surfing etc.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yes. I have now finally decided. I was trying to mix my love for movies with a PC monitor. Which was not quite right. I think 27" is the sweet spot for now.
Since I plan to get a >32" TV in near future anyway. So I would then would like to have a not so large monitor for primary PC usage.

Hence This is the monitor I am going to buy now: *www.amazon.in/BenQ-inch-Bezel-Monitor-Built/dp/B073NTCT4R/
Which is beautiful as well as not so hard on wallet. 27", very slim bezel and still IPS.

Any FINAL after thoughts?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Yes. I have now finally decided. I was trying to mix my love for movies with a PC monitor. Which was not quite right. I think 27" is the sweet spot for now.
Since I plan to get a >32" TV in near future anyway. So I would then would like to have a not so large monitor for primary PC usage.

Hence This is the monitor I am going to buy now: *www.amazon.in/BenQ-inch-Bezel-Monitor-Built/dp/B073NTCT4R/
Which is beautiful as well as not so hard on wallet. 27", very slim bezel and still IPS.

Any FINAL after thoughts?
It doesnt have freesync, you have a RX580 which could benefit from freesync.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It doesnt have freesync, you have a RX580 which could benefit from freesync.
I dont have RX 580, I just have RX 480. Also I am not much of a gamer right now. My priorities have changed. Really focusing on other things at the moment, which is career. So I think I don't need free sync right now.

Considering all the above, is the monitor good enough now?

Top Bottom