Need advice..Buying my 3rd laptop. High End

desijoker

Broken In
Hello Friends,
I am a proud owner of HP dv5t laptop which is still working fine after 4 long years. I was a hardcore gamer(now a days i dont get much time to sit and play :( ). My present lappy has Nvidia 9600 which can even play all the latest games at medium settings :)
So recently i thought its time to buy a new lappy. I thought to get a laptop from Canada as my sister is coming to India next month. I am even open for buying a nice lappy in India too.
I have shortlisted few laptops and i need your suggestions on deciding which one to go for. I am really confused whether to go for an powerhouse or an ultrabook. Both the prices are nearly same. Its true that i wont be playing games as i used to play before as i dont get time.
-If i would like to go for a normal laptop then i would not prefer gfx card below nvidia 660(as i know the power of this series gfx card).
-Screen should be atleast 900p...But i really prefer 1080p.

Anyways here is my shortlisted laptops:
Asus Zenbook UX31A-DB51
Intel Core i5-3317U 1.7GHz
13.3"
4GB DDR3
128GB SSD
Intel HD Graphics 4000
1080p IPS Display

HP spectre XT ultrabook
Intel Core i5-3317U 1.7GHz
13.3"
4GB DDR3
128GB SSD
Intel HD Graphics 4000
768p
But awesome built and finish

Lenovo Y580 ( no sure about lenovo quality though)
Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz
8GB Memory
1TB HDD +32GB cache
1080p display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
Blu-ray RAMBO (Re-writeable)
Price $1100( Around 61K INR)

Asus G75
Intel Core i7 2.3GHz
17.3"
8GB DDR3
1TB
1080p
Double-layer DVD+/-RW( no blu-ray:-( )
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660M
Price around 66k INR

My budget is 60K. If i go for ultrabooks i need to compromise on gaming, video rendering, heavy photoshoping. But i really love Asus Zenbook :)
So i need your help guys who can think out of the box and help me chose and advice on which one to go for. IF you guys know any model around my budget in india then pls let me know.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thank You.

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
No "mainstream" laptop has GTX 660M, and 660M is by no standards "normal". It would alone cost excess of 60k barring the 900p/1080p screen.

Dell Inspiron 15r with 7730M (~20% slower than 650M) combined with 1080p should be your perfect choice.

About choices from abroad, I'll take time to look and report back.

PS: even 7730M is more than 2x faster than your archaic 9600M so it should suffice IMO.

OP
D

desijoker

Broken In
Thanks for replying. Well i got my lappy 4 yrs ago for 70K...it is obv outdated...
Well lenovo Y580 has really nice Config (updated on post #1)and really nice price but i dont know how are the lenovo laptops. and it is around 62K INR ..
I dont think i need to say about Asus Zenbook...Wat do you guys think.. is it worth?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I know about Y580 but is it available in India yet? About zenbook, its surely a beauty, but which specific model of Zenbook are you looking at ?

PS: Forget gaming if you want to get ultrabooks.

OP
D

desijoker

Broken In
Y580 is not yet available in india..Even if they are released, price wont be less than 70k for sure. Asus zenbook 's price in india is way too much but you can say it was "love at first sight" :razz:
I have updated config and model number in the first post. Kindly see and comment.

I am also considering Asus G75 which is around 66K INR
Intel Core i7 2.3GHz
17.3" 1080p
8GB DDR3
1TB
Double-layer DVD+/-RW/CD-RW( no blu-ray :-()
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660M

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
17"3 is too heavy.

I can't pin point exact any ultrabook as I don't have any personal experience with them. Why don't you get Y580 from Canada? I think international warranty is available, but get sure if you proceed.

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
Isn't the G75 1.2lac. Couldn't find it at 60k. Any links please.

HS18: Asus G75-VW ( Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor - 16GB DDR3 - 1.5 TB - Windows 7 Home Premium - 17.3 Inch ) Laptop . Buy Best Asus G75-VW ( Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor - 16GB DDR3 - 1.5 TB - Windows 7 Home Premium - 17.3 Inch ) Laptop at Lowest Price

eBay: asus g75 | eBay

OP
D

desijoker

Broken In
Isn't the G75 1.2lac. Couldn't find it at 60k. Any links please.

I am getting it from Canada...all the prices mentioned in the post are in converted currency.
Do you guys think it is wise to spend so much on ultrabook? my main aim is to get a laptop which will be with me for next 3 to 4 yrs.
Could you guys suggest me some models available in india which are good for gaming and having nice gfx card.
Even high clock speed i5 processor are also fine (need to compromise on video rendering and processor related stuffs :-( )

Lalit Kishore

Broken In
The one you short listed I would say that Lenovo Y580 is the best choice basis on the configuration, else you can also try HP Pavilion G6-2016TX it's near around 45k.
And don't be confused for Lenovo laptops performance my brother is using Lenovo G470 from last 15 months and its working perfect never had any issue, even battery life is also better.

OP
D

desijoker

Broken In
The one you short listed I would say that Lenovo Y580 is the best choice basis on the configuration, else you can also try HP Pavilion G6-2016TX it's near around 45k.
And don't be confused for Lenovo laptops performance my brother is using Lenovo G470 from last 15 months and its working perfect never had any issue, even battery life is also better.

hmm..never used lenovo but i have seen that the build quality is not that good..well dont know about the built quality on latest models..but it wasnt that good some 2 yrs ago...they make good business laptops..but dont know about entertainment and high end laptops..Well Y580 is damn cheap compared to what they are giving at that price.

Does anyone own a Asus zenbook here in this forum?

OP
D

desijoker

Broken In
ok i saw samsung n550p with i5...looks like good deal...I am getting it for 47K in India :D
and i also saw one sony laptop 15.5 inch S series with following config:

3rd gen Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor (2.50GHz / 3.10GHz with Turbo Boost)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE (1GB) hybrid graphics with Intel® Wireless Display technology
4GB (4GB fixed onboard + 1 open slot) DDR3-1333Mhz
500GB (5400rpm) hard drive
Microsoft Windows® 7 Home Premium
English only with Backlight
15.5" LED backlit Full HD IPS display (1920 x 1080)
Blu-ray Disc™ player

cost is around 55K... now i need to decide whether to go for 900p with nvidia 650 or 1080p IPS display with nvidia 640....can anyone help me here?

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
AFAIK the 640M LE is class 2 vs 650M which is a class 1. It basically means that if gaming is a priority better go for the 650M.

640M LE: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE - Notebookcheck.net Tech

650M: *www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

OP
D

desijoker

Broken In
Where are you getting the vaio for 55k ? Are you sure its FHD ?

from canada..it also carries international warranty..In india they dont have FHD at that price..
If you guys had money which one would you go for? :p
HP is waste..they dont provide good gfx card at reasonable price.
Dell is over priced now!
Lenovo havent launched Y580 in India yet :(
Samsung 550p has nice config at nice price...but having double thoughts about samsung about the overall life of the laptop:-(:-x:cry:
looking at wat users are posting temp during gaming.
Sony canada laptop looks good but again need to compromise somewhere...either gaming or good display :(

Top Bottom