Need a software to stop apps going to internet

bibinjohn

Journeyman
hello..

i need a software that can make the applications to go to internet at specific times. i don't want my installed applications to go online and check for updates or anything even if my internet is on. i had a software called Home guard activity monitor but i lost the serial number. please help. i have BSNL 600combo plan. most of the time it only last the 1st 20 days. and i have to pay for extra usage. i don't want to gave up the plan because of the night unlimited thing.
many thanks in advance

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
what you need is a firewall, Try Zonealarm. You can even disable certain programs from accessing the internet by blocking them in default windows firewall.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
i have BSNL 600combo plan. most of the time it only last the 1st 20 days.

Install Networx (freeware) that can help you monitor your bandwidth. Various usage stats shall also help you understand where and how your net bandwidth is getting consumed. It shall also enable usage analysis at Application level.

Dark Core

Freak Beta 1
I doubt, Firewalls blocking the Applications for specific intervals of time.
You can however turn off the Firewall from your timings of 2-8 AM.
Firewall Applications are of personal choices. Windows default firewall would suffice in most cases though IMO.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*netbalancer.com/download
The unregistered version is limited to a maximum of 3 process priorities/limits and 3 rules at a time. Since version 6.0 all other limits have been removed.
For a full list of NetBalancer's features click on the link below:
*netbalancer.com/download#features

novice001

Right off the assembly line
hello..

i need a software that can make the applications to go to internet at specific times. i don't want my installed applications to go online and check for updates or anything even if my internet is on. i had a software called Home guard activity monitor but i lost the serial number. please help. i have BSNL 600combo plan. most of the time it only last the 1st 20 days. and i have to pay for extra usage. i don't want to gave up the plan because of the night unlimited thing.
many thanks in advance

I assume that you are willing to pay for quality software as you have already used Home guard whose serial no. you lost. The best option for you would be Netlimiter Pro. It comes with an inbuilt firewall. It allows you to limit the bandwidth for your internet connection(both incoming and outgoing). So you can block apps from accessing the internet without your explicit permission(using the firewall) and if at all they do connect to the internet you can limit the bandwidth they consume. There are a couple of other things you could try out. First, turn off Windows automatic updates and do the same for most other software that you use while browsing. Keep in mind that some browsers and browser plugins also do automatic updating. Also, I remember using a Firefox addon that acts as a bandwidth limiter only for BSNL connections. You could search for it and try it out. Good luck!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^it is much better for rules.e.g.on limited bsnl plans when usage is near limit even accidentally/unknowingly opening some web page having streaming videos or heavy graphics result in much data usage as on a 2mbps connection it just takes a minute to download ~15mb data.you can set a rule that once usage crosses 1200mb reduce speed for all processes to 256kbps(kinda like FUP) so after crossing limit during daytime using this rule you won't accidentally lose data.if you do need speed during daytime disable rule temporarily & when going to sleep so it does not affect night free download(or maybe you can set another rule for this time only).

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
^^it is much better for rules.e.g.on limited bsnl plans when usage is near limit even accidentally/unknowingly opening some web page having streaming videos or heavy graphics result in much data usage as on a 2mbps connection it just takes a minute to download ~15mb data.you can set a rule that once usage crosses 1200mb reduce speed for all processes to 256kbps(kinda like FUP) so after crossing limit during daytime using this rule you won't accidentally lose data.if you do need speed during daytime disable rule temporarily & when going to sleep so it does not affect night free download(or maybe you can set another rule for this time only).

thanks for the feedback. i think now it is the time to test the software on my idea 3G plan. ;-)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
do post your experience here & if it is good then this software may become a must have for those having limited data plans.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
do post your experience here & if it is good then this software may become a must have for those having limited data plans.

spent little time with this software. solid software but limited in free edition. Upto 3 softwares can be blocked/limited(together) from accessing internet. it works well too.the interface is not very attractive. but the graphs looks cool. i dont really need this software as whenever i want to make my internet speed low, i will just switch from 3G to 2G and 2G just sucks here and that is what i do whenever i am not in home :p

Top Bottom