Need a new PC for ML/AI and data analytics

vyamoham

Broken In
What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
I am currently learning (attending a course) on AI/ML. Would like to work on some Kaggle problems. My XBox Gold Live got converted to Xbox Ultimate pass, which can be used to play games in PC as well. Might play some games. Not sure, what I will play. I have played FIFA 17 before and enjoyed it.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:
My budget is 1 lakhs. Can be extended to 1.2 lakhs, if really required

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:
No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:
Ubuntu and Windows 10 dual boot

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:
2 TB HDD and 500GB SSD. If possible, I would like 1 TB SSD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans:
Already have a 1080p monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:
I have an old PC with -
i7 4770K
MSI Motherboard
MSI Rx 270X GPU
8 GB DDR3 RAM

Dell S2440L monitor, Keyboard, Mouse and Speaker would be reused.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:
In 2-3 weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:
Assembler. From Bangalore SP road.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:
I am from Bangalore. Would buy from SP Road. Online also would have been fine, only if I knew how to assemble. My bad..

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Would like to try Ryzen 3600X and Nvidia 2060 SUPER or higher. 32GB RAM would help when working with big datasets.

How does this look?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never buy any pre-assembled pc especially in India.

Go through this thread & then tell us which processor you would prefer(intel or amd) as AI/ML is not your typical usage scenario & it looks like performance depends on gpu more than cpu.
[D] Is AMD's RYZEN CPUs good choice for machine learning study/projects : MachineLearning

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Typical usage is for AI/ML workflows and practising on Kaggle problems.

Looks like there are issues with AMD Ryzen 3xxx to boot Ubuntu 19.04? But LTS version boots fine. Hope these issues will be rectified soon.

I am leaning towards Ryzen 3700X and GTX 2060/70 SUPER GPU with ample amount of RAM 32/64 GB.

2070 seems a good option for deep learning.
Which GPU(s) to Get for Deep Learning

Now SUPER cards are out, I guess 2070 SUPER would be the way to go.

Not planning to go for multi GPU setup.
I am not sure about the motherboard. Do I need X570 motherboard? PCI-Express 4.0 is useful somehow? The new AMD cards support PCIe 4. If we go with NVidia, few NVMe SSDs can utilize it. Would it be worth? X470 motherboard with a firmware update would be enough?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You will have to wait as current B450/X470 mobos bios updates are reportedly not working smoothly with Ryzen 3xxx processors.Going with a X570 mobo seems to be the only option as I doubt bios issues will be resolved before 2-3 months. Btw what do you mean by NVMe ssd utilizing nvidia,NVMe are preferred over ssd anyway for such workload & especially where you will have to work with large data sets.You can get a good 512gb NVMe ssd(Adata sx8200 pro) for 9k.

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
If we go with AMD 5700XT, PCIe 4 might help. Nvidia cards are not PCIe 4.0. Only place, we might be able to use PCIe 4 is for few newer SSDs.

Is there any other benefit by going for X570?

AMD Ryzen 3900X & 3700X Tested on X470 says BIOS updates just works with x470 motherboard

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^I am not sure but a short testing should not be enough to declare a bios stable else there would't be so many negative comments regarding bios update.Logically also it should take at least 1-2 months before bios gets stable enough for demanding regular usage(past experience of Ryzen 1st gen launch is an example). Most important point is that for a processor like 3700x/3900x you should get a good mobo with good VRMs & under 15k budget(cheapest X570 currently) only such options are from MSI(mainly B450 Tomahawk which costs ~9.5k & B450 gaming pro carbon ac which costs ~12k) & it is MSI mobos having most issues with bios updates for ryzen 3xxx processors so unless you absolutely can't spend more than 10-12k on mobo I see no point in getting a B450/X470 mobo under 15k now.

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Hello everyone,

Last time I was not able to complete the purchase because of other emergencies in family.
I would like to resume my studies and would require the PC to do so. My budget is reduced and can spend upto 1.2 lakhs for the CPU. I am updating the thread to reflect the same.

Would you all be kind enough to give a new set of configuration, so I can get the PC in 1 or 2 weeks from now.

My initial thoughts are:

AMD 3700X - 28K
ASRock X570 TAICHI Motherboard - 25K
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB X 2 - 9k
NVIDIA 8 GB RTX 2070 Super - 45K
1 TB SSD
2 TB HDD (can buy later, if the budget exceeds)
PSU?
Cabinet?

Thanks

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Processor & mobo are fine,make sure ram is 3200MHz corsair vengeance. As for graphics card @SaiyanGoku should know more. Buy ssd fast as its prices are going to increase this year. Buy Online Crucial MX500 2.5 Inch 1TB SATA III 3D NAND SSD CT1000MX500SSD1 In India ; Buy Online Silicon Power 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 2280 SSD SP001TBP34A80M28 In India ; Buy Online GIGABYTE 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD GP-GSM2NE3100TNTD In India

For psu:
Buy CORSAIR TX650M 80 PLUS GOLD SEMI MODULAR Best Price in India mdcomputers.in
CORSAIR SMPS TX750M - 750 WATT 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFICATION SEMI MODULAR PSU WITH ACTIVE PFC

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Thanks Whitestar.

AMD 3700X
ASRock X570 TAICHI Motherboard
3200MHz Corsair Vengeance 16 GB X 2
NVIDIA 8 GB RTX 2070 Super -Which one?
Crucial MX500 1 TB SSD
Corsair TX650M

Which cabinet would be better for keeping temperature down?

In pcpartpicker, I got a note saying below.
The ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

Do you see any problems with the Corsair TX650M?
Would it make sense to change SSD to Samsung EVO Plus 500 GB NVMe SSD? Are there any perceivable advantage of going with an NVMe drive?
Crucial P1 NVMe SSD similarly priced to Crucial MX500.
*www.amazon.in/Crucial-1TB-NAND-NVM...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PAKZP1248V29G4ZGA5H8

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
For deep learning, don't you think going with 2080 Super would be better (replacing 3700X with R5 3600 to adjust total cost) ?
Would it make sense to change SSD to Samsung EVO Plus 500 GB NVMe SSD? Are there any perceivable advantage of going with an NVMe drive?
There is an advantage only when your use case requires file read/write operations in GB/s. Samsung drives are overpriced and if you want nvme on a x570 board, there are PCIe gen 4 drives which are much faster than publicly available current samsung drives.

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Thanks @SaiyanGoku for your inputs.

How much of a difference would it make to go from 2070 Super to 2080 Super? Could you please provide me some model and make of the graphics card which are considered good (in both 2070 and 2080)?

@whitestar_999 has suggested another SSD which is NVMe based Buy Online Silicon Power 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 2280 SSD SP001TBP34A80M28 In India
Would this be better? There is not much price difference with Crucial MX500.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In pcpartpicker, I got a note saying below.
The ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.
That extra 4 pin connector is for extreme overclocking using LN2(liquid nitrogen) etc so irrelevant for 99.9% of the users.

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Hi,

AMD 3700X
ASRock X570 TAICHI Motherboard
3200MHz Corsair Vengeance 16 GB X 2
NVIDIA 8 GB RTX 2070 Super -Which one? Zotac RTX 2070 Super AMP Extreme 8GB is good?
Silicon Power 1TB NVMe SSD
Corsair TX650M
Cabinet ?

Please suggest a graphics card and cabinet. I am not into RGB lighting and those sort of stuff. A good cabinet with good airflow and cable management would suffice.

If possible, could you also please provide the links from where I can buy these with best price? Can I expect any offer around republic day in any of these online sites?

Thanks,
Paul

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check on these sites:
www.mdcomputers.in.....An IT Arsenal....
www.vedantcomputers.com
Buy Online Computer Hardware | Gaming PC & Accessories | Gaming Laptops & more
Buy SSD in India | Online Laptop SSD Drives | SSD Drive Price ssd selling division of primeabgb,prefer this for ssd buying
Computer Parts, Gaming accessories,Gaming Laptops, Electronics, and More - theitdepot.com

Buy from amazon only if you get price similar to or less than above sites or if you prefer amazon for any other reason.

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Thanks @whitestar_999

I checked the prices and looks the config is going much beyond my budget. I have revised the configuration to below. Please review and let me know, if I need to make anymore changes.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 16490
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX - 9775
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory - 12500
Silicon Power 1TB NVMe SSD - 10995
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB 7200 RPM HDD - 4950
Zotac GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 44700
Corsair TXM Gold 650 - 7350
NZXT H510 COMPACT MID-TOWER CASE BLACK & WHITE - 6100

Total - 112860

I have 7k more flexibility in budget. Do I need to buy a CPU Cooler, case fans etc? Or can I use that money to better any components? Maybe Ryzen 3600X or a better motherboard or PSU?

Thanks

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything seems fine but change mobo to Buy Online ASUS PRIME X570-P/CSM AMD X570 ATX Gaming Motherboard - in India OR Buy Online ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS AMD X570 ATX Gaming Motherboard - in India as MSI after sales support is currently poor. Also the cabinet you selected is good with good reviews on global sites but it has tempered glass front panel & I don't suggest such cabinets for hot climate like here as most global reviews are for cold climates like US & EU. Take a look at this cabinet which has a mashed front panel Buy Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB at Best Price in India - mdcomputers.in

toofan

Technomancer
There is a sale on amazon offering 10% instant discount + unlimited 5% cashback if you purchase through yono app.
If you have a sbi debit/credit card the processor may cost you around 14k.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a sale on amazon offering 10% instant discount + unlimited 5% cashback if you purchase through yono app.
If you have a sbi debit/credit card the processor may cost you around 14k.
Yes but that 5% YONO cashback offer is not so easy to get.I didn't get that cashback for oct sale so lodged a complaint & the case is still ongoing.

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Hi All,

I got my machine. I installed windows 10 alright.

But I facing issue when trying to install ubuntu as dual boot.

I tried installing Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS bootable USB made using rufus. It failed.

I also tried installing 19.10 bootable made using etcher. That also failed.

The GRUB menu shows option for installing/trying out Ubuntu. But in the step the screen just freezes and can't read characters in the screen. CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work after that and did hard shutdown.

Windows 10 works well now also.

Top Bottom