Need a new bike..

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
Discover or yamaha Gladi is my choice , discover will give a big bike feel wen riding, gladi have an extra gear advantage which is important , u can ride at 60kph in gladi at 5th gear with peace of mind

narangz

Web developer
+1 Honda Shine in 125CC & +1 for Honda Unicorn in 150CC categories. No one can match their engines & handling.

K

krazyfrog

pathiks said:
Wich is low in maintenance costs?? Shine or discover or gladiator?? I m giving the preference to discover as it is a 135cc and has a better mileage than the other two.. Also krazy y is the zeus bad?? Check out the zeus_xcd version.
Discover 135 is the best. But unfortunately it not for 6-foot+ people. I think Zeus is crap because its got nothing special in it. The other bikes in this segment outperform it in every aspect, whether its looks, performance, handling, features, etc. There isn't any good reason to buy it. XCD also looks like a great bike. As far as maintenance is concerned, I've frequently read in Autocar India that Honda switchgear and electricals aren't as reliable as Bajaj. Switches go bad within weeks of purchase.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Honda is well known for their engine technology, till Bajaj came with DTSI. Bigger engines 125cc, giving mileage of 100cc and far better performance. Next year will be the year of the motorcycle. A lot of models are slated for release. TVS flame is one to watch out for, if they overcome legal hurdles.

I own/ride an Avenger. Very good bike. This is my second motorcycle, my first was a Bullet 350; had it for ten years. The Bajaj motorcycle service here in Mangalore is excellent.

aneesh kalra

Mclaren F1 Long tail
The discover 135 would be a smart choice considering that its is a fine blend of performance and fuel efficiency .However you may also look at the unicorn the non electric start version may just fall in ur budget.However one thing to be noted is that the discover is not so comfortable for taller riders I would always recommend the unicorn over the 135 in ur case.

@Kiran tech
Longer wheel base only equates to high speed stability but a short whelbase will be more flickable in congested city traffic.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
s18000rpm said:
ya. but have you taken the Apache on tight twisty roads or on tight traffic?
then you wont critisize its wheelbase.
take the old pulsar (the first model, shorter wheelbase & round head lamps), take a sharp turn or make a zig zag, the rear end becomes really unstable or will just kick out, now thats called instability.
take a Apache & do the same @ same speed or higher, nothing will happen like that, except you wanting to take that corner at even higher speed.
the new pulsar is not as good as Apache in terms of handling in tight places.
TVS didnt spend sooooooo much of money on R&D on its indigenous bike.
about the instability at high speeds, dunno much bout it, 90% its related to handle(streeing)/fork damping.
shorter wheelbase= retarded RAZOR SHARP handling.
Apache RTR is for the performance seekers, not for ppl who love to cruise.

I have tried all the three: Apache, Discover and Pulsar. Among this, I felt Discover the most stable bike. Being in this design field, I have seen why manufacturers put their hardwork for getting that 10mm increase in wheel base.

During the release of TVS Apache, it had 40mm shorter wheel base than the current model. This action was due to many reviewers saying that wheel base is not justifiable for the engine power. Do you think TVS would have done that if shorter wheel base is more efficient as you say?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
not efficient, its more fun.

stable in straight line or corner?

Pulsar takes slightly more wider track ( turn) at corners when compared to Apache.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
aneesh kalra said:
@Kiran tech
Longer wheel base only equates to high speed stability but a short whelbase will be more flickable in congested city traffic.

I agree. I have already said that bike is more stable with longer wheel base at high speeds. When people go for 135-150-180CC engines, it's for speed. And that's where wheelbase criteria comes in. If one is so interested in small bikes for city, stick to 100CC. Why do u need one of higher CC?

s18000rpm said:
not efficient, its more fun.

stable in straight line or corner?

Pulsar takes slightly more wider track ( turn) at corners when compared to Apache.

You are not understanding my point. 150CC--> ??? High speed! stable Apache? NOPE.

Stability comes in picture in straight aswell as turns at high speeds. This is where all shorter wheel base bikes are very vulnerable. They easily skid off the road. I agree that Pulsar needs long turning radius. But this is required, becoz one should not take sharp turns at high speeds. That's one of the reason why wheel base is more for high CC bikes.

Last edited:
K

krazyfrog

Higher wheelbase bikes are more stable but aren't very sharp at handling. Short wheelbase bikes are more flickable at corners but not very stable. High powered bikes can't afford to have all that power concentrated in a short wheelbase. They need to spread the power over a larger area to make it more stable around the corners. The original Pulsar was more like a tool for the expert rider. One needed to be an expert at riding to get the most out of that bike. However the DTS-i model brought an increase in wheelbase and made it much more friendly for the common rider. Now one doesn't need to be an expert to get the most out of that bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom