Need a Lan network

Status
Not open for further replies.

hahahari

In the zone
Hi guys, I have a tata Indicom broadband connection. I am not very familiar with the router and modem thingy. All I can say is there is a white box (Presumed as modem + Router) with TNDSL.

I have a PC and a laptop, I want to buy a router with which I can use the laptop in the wifi mode and the PC in a wired mode at the same time, ie LAN.

My Laptop runs Vista Ultimate
PC runs Xp pro SP3

Please put in all the suggestions.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
1st ask the tata guys if they provide u with a WiFi router in staed of ur current one.if yes then ur prob is solved.

OP
hahahari

hahahari

In the zone
Probably nooobie question, @aytus do you mean to say that such a router can be used in a wifi and ethernet mode simultaneously?

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
yes i have used it simultaneously...before...for wireless router like wrt54g...dlink 524..dlink 624

acewin

Point Blanc
I use BSNL router aka ADSL model, it has 5 RJ45 port and wireless port, works very well.
Had asked in beginning only.

OP
hahahari

hahahari

In the zone
ok I have a budget for 2k.
question 1:

I am trying to use it simultaneously in Ethernet + wifi mode. I need a range of 50 meters. I need the signal to be able to penetrate couple of walls.

WHich router can I opt for?

Question 2:

I will be using Vista in laptop and Xp in PC. Is there anyway I can share the files between them through such an ethernet+wifi arrangement?

acewin

Point Blanc
OMG, 50 meters is too much buddy. I think you are thinking of getting internet for your neighbours. The range of routers generally comes to 10-20 meters

Secondly taking the Wifi router from Tata Indicom customer is not such a good idea. as I do not think there routers such good to have coverage of so much area.

OP
hahahari

hahahari

In the zone
I am sorry I meant only 50 feet. and I am not gonna get TATAs router I asked for a good router suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom