Need a gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

royal

Padawan
Hi friends, I would like to build a gaming rig and so need the following info ...

<1> GFX card :-
Suggest a mid range card. 9600GT will be good enough for me. However I could also go for 8800GT but will it be good enough for the extra couple of thousand bucks ? :confused:

<2> LCD :-
I must admit that I am a noob regarding LCDs. Initially I was thinking of going for 19" but maybe 22" will be just right. From what I gathered from the forum, DELL is the brand to go for though Viewsonic, I feel, should also be a strong contender. Please suggest models and prices for what you feel should be good for gaming and movies.

<3> Speaker :-
Initially I was inclined towards X-540. However I have read good reviews of Artis S6600. Has anyone used it personally ? Also if I go for G-51/Z5300 will there be significant boost in listening experience ?

<4> SMPS :-
Suggest any good brand with price :)

<5> Cabinet :-
Suggest any good Indian brand with price :)

That is all for now...hope to see some replies soon :p

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
1>get the 8800GT 512Mb.its worth the xtra 2k.

2>better get DELL or Samsung.

3>cant suggest anything without knowing wat other h/w u hav.also wats ur budget.

quadroplex780

Maximum Fame
I hope this info might be helpful that on the 8600GT and the 9600GT the fan spins down to 30% when temperatures reach 60c and greater so it basically will fry the card if not solved it is a driver issue and nVidia is informed and is working on it.

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
Thx ppl for ur replies...:p

My current rig consists of P4 3Ghz Prescott processor, MSI 915g Neo2 Platinum with inbuilt gfx and Kingston 512 MB 533 Mhz DDR2 RAM along with Navtech cabinet with 450 W PSU.

I am aware that I need to upgrade Processor/ Mobo combi as well but I will do that some time later :(

As of now , I think I will go for 8800GT. Any particular brand on your mind ? (I read somewhere that XFX gfx cards generate too much heat )

Any idea about price of DELL Ultrasharp model (19"/22") ?

And I have a budget of 10000-12000 for speakers , but if I find X-540 suits my purpose then thats no issue. I just wanted to know whether it will be ok to invest almost twice the money in G-51/Z-5300 ?

As for SMPS, Cooler Master is definitely good, but any idea about powersafe/VIP ?

Again , I do not really need CoolerMaster/Tagan cabinets, any good local brands will do :D

Last edited:
OP
royal

royal

Padawan
BTW, how's AOC ? :confused:

And regarding cabinets, how's this ? It has a top fan for cooling which I think is a good option. Any idea about the price ?

Last edited:

nil1982

Getting DELL products in Kolkata (because your location is Kolkata I am saying this) is a pain for the road permit issue. I also decided for this brand but now looking for something else. If you can arrange for it, contact Satya Kusum of DELL who offered me good price

Fax: 080-25068555
Satya_Kusum@dell.com

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
I am aware that I need to upgrade Processor/ Mobo combi as well but I will do that some time later :(
Btw, with that processor and mobo u cant call it a Gaming rig then! :p I suggest, if u are really spending then spend it well on right set of hardwares. Try confirming the prices of E8400 and MSI P35 Platinum at ur region. If it fits, then go for it. And ofcourse a DDR-II RAM!

As of now , I think I will go for 8800GT. Any particular brand on your mind ? (I read somewhere that XFX gfx cards generate too much heat)
Ok, ur system would bottleneck a 8800GT. Thats for sure. Anyways, regarding brand. Well, lemme clear few things: Not all XFX models generate too much heat! This is just another unnecessary talk about it. So, dont go by that. Look, if i say both MSI/XFX cards are good. XFX being costly on the part. As you are in Kolkata, XFX availability would be excellent! I suggest look for Alpha Dog XXX edition. The extra bucks u are paying for that card is good. Coz, the model comes with increased Vcore and Vmem. That means, u can overclock the card well in future, if necessary! Ok, coming to cooling. Look, unless u dont want to overclock at all, u dont worry about temps then. But, if u do no matter its XFX or MSI, the temps will shoot up for sure. Incase u have good budget, u can go for a CM Cool Viva pro for 1.5-1.7K ! The price u pay is worth the performance.
Nuff' said...

ny idea about price of DELL Ultrasharp model (19"/22") ?
IMO, L226WTY-BF from LG & Viewsonic VX 2235WM should be the choices in 22" category! For, 19", look no further than Viewsonic VX922. Even, kalpik has the same model.
Correct me if em wrong..:D

And I have a budget of 10000-12000 for speakers , but if I find X-540 suits my purpose then thats no issue. I just wanted to know whether it will be ok to invest almost twice the money in G-51/Z-5300 ?
Logitech Z5300 is indeed better than a X-540 unit. But, adding just few to that budget, u can go for a Giga Works G500! In N.P., the speaker costs around 13K ! Look, increasing the budget wouldnt hurt much, when u'll experience the music through a G500. And if u cant, go with Z-5300.

Again , I do not really need CoolerMaster/Tagan cabinets, any good local brands will do :D
Cabinets really play vital role in maintaining good temps. CM Elite series is priced good. Hence, choose well. If, money was no bar, i would've definitely suggested a Lian Li V2000B. :D
Anyways, Zebronics and I-ball are good too.
The pic u showed is "Antibiotic" from Zebronics. I have "Peace" model from the same. To tell u truly, i wish, i would've gone with CM instead. Dont let those top fan, LED fans and transparent sidecase fool u !! :p

Last edited:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
I am using AOC 24" lcd. It has got samsung BTN III panel. Performance is excellent. Got it for 19k.

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
contact Satya Kusum of DELL who offered me good price
Fax: 080-25068555
Satya_Kusum@dell.com
Thx for the info :p

Btw, with that processor and mobo u cant call it a Gaming rig then!
I know man...was thinking of taking one step at a time ;)

IMO, L226WTY-BF from LG & Viewsonic VX 2235WM should be the choices in 22" category! For, 19", look no further than Viewsonic VX922. Even, kalpik has the same model.
Any idea about the price ?

Logitech Z5300 is indeed better than a X-540 unit.
I am aware of the fact...just wanted to know is it worth double the price ?:confused:

To tell u truly, i wish, i would've gone with CM instead. Dont let those top fan, LED fans and transparent sidecase fool u !!
Does that mean ur cabby is not performing well ?:cry:

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
Any idea about the price ?
Well, that 19" from Viewsonic should be around 11-12K. Regarding, 22", both are priced quite high ~ around 22-25K! One more thing, that 19" Viewsonic TFT's max resolution is 1280x1024! Looks gr8 though.

I am aware of the fact...just wanted to know is it worth double the price ?:confused:
Yep it is.

Does that mean ur cabby is not performing well ?:cry:
Well, i didnt say that! :p
Look, i was trying to point u towards the right product. Look, the cabinet lacks space seriously. And that means everything inside it is tightly packed. Plus, wiring adds more to the mess! That relates to less room for hardwares and air movement. Increase in heat is significant. Ok, as for me, spacing is really a problem, as i said. Though, you get load of options to install fans. Mine has 2x120mm LED fans, Two 80mm fans. Both, 120mm and 80mm fans are blowing air from outside over processor and GPU respectively. While, one 120mm fan at the back is throwing the hot air outside from cabby and one 80mm at the top....which i really dont know what the hell does!!! :D :p Pretty useless in most cases! And yeah, not to mention the AS5 paste on both my Quad and 8600GT surface. Still, my processor idles between 50-52 degrees! Thanks to that s****y P5N-E SLI! Though, the processor is clocked @2.8Ghz!! :p
And my GPU idles at 52-53 degrees. Thanks to that gr8 UDF3 XFX model!! :x Though, clocked pretty high @710/1850 too! :p
Look, what i meant to say that, u have to make such adjustments even after purchasing that Zebby Cabinets. So, just avoid these hassles and why dont go for a CM cabinets which provide more room and better ventilation.

Last edited:
OP
royal

royal

Padawan
Well, that 19" from Viewsonic should be around 11-12K. Regarding, 22", both are priced quite high ~ around 22-25K! One more thing, that 19" Viewsonic TFT's max resolution is 1280x1024!.

That's daylight robbery, if you ask me :mad:. BTW how is Viewsonic after sales service ?

Yep it is. .
Ok I'll go for Z5300 then :D

Look, what i meant to say that, u have to make such adjustments even after purchasing that Zebby Cabinets. So, just avoid these hassles and why dont go for a CM cabinets which provide more room and better ventilation.
Amen...truer words were never spoken. CoolerMaster/Antec it is then. :p
Can you tell me the price of CM 690 ?

And thx once again for helping...much appreciated :p

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
That's daylight robbery, if you ask me :mad:. BTW how is Viewsonic after sales service ?
Well, not good, IMO ! :p

Ok I'll go for Z5300 then :D
At last..! :D

Amen...truer words were never spoken. CoolerMaster/Antec it is then. :p
Can you tell me the price of CM 690 ?
And thx once again for helping...much appreciated :p
Were you looking into classifieds for that CM cabinet?? :D :p
CM690, is indeed an excellent choice. Though, price might burn a hole in your pocket. Priced around 4K-5K bucks. :p

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
Ok, i confirmed the price at N.P. for CM690! Price quoted was 3750 bucks!! Now, come on show me some teeth!! :D

:D Think I will go for a Powersafe/VIP 600W PSU instead and use it with my Navtech cabby :D

Regarding the monitor which do you think is better... dell 24" or AOC 24" ? :confused:

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
Guys what do you think of this ? Acc. to this BENQ 24" is way better than DELL :cool: Any idea about its availability or price :confused:?

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
The BENQ is also TN panel and also the price would be higher. First check out the price, if its in the same range then you can go for it. Benq display are also of good quality. Call their toll free number to get more details 1800-22-0808

Status
Not open for further replies.