Need a CPU for 50000

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, you can just run your 1600Mhz RAM at 1333Mhz. There will not be any problem. :) Anyways, there is not much of a performance difference between 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz, imho.

No, there won't be any problem while using an nVidia card on your AMD chipset motherboard. It won't really matter whether your on-board graphics supports DirectX 10.1 or 11 as the graphic card which you will buy already supports DirectX 11.

Yes, the motherboard doesn't have a FireWire port but the question is, who uses it? Hardly anyone. USB is universally used. The motherboard which you have chosen MSI 890GXM-G65 is actually the best for future-proofing as it supports both SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0.

I also saw that most reviews of the zotac graphics card loved it, although they said that it wasnt much of an performance improvement over the 768mb version. What do you suggest?
2GB isn't needed. Just get Zotac GeForce GTX460 1GB. Its available for 13,000 over I also saw that most reviews of the zotac graphics card loved it, although they said that it wasnt much of an performance improvement over the 768mb version. What do you suggest?[/QUOTE] 2GB isn't needed. Just get Zotac GeForce GTX460 1GB. Its available for 13,000 over here. [url=*www.theitwares.com/zotac-geforce-fermi-256bit-gddr5-express-hdcp-ready-support-video-card-p-909.html]TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!ZOTAC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card"]here.[/URL]

Last edited:
J

Joker

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz @ 9.6k
MSI 890GXM-G65 @ 7k
2*2GB Kingston/G.skill/Transcend 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM @ 5.2k
Zotac GTX460 1GB GDDR5 @ 13k
WD Caviar Black 500GB Hard Disk @ 3.1k
Corsair VX550W @ 4.8k
Cooler Master Elite 430 cabinet @ 2.6k
DVD Writer @ 1k

Total - 46.3k

u still hv a some money left. u can squeeze in a good UPS or go for any of Ati HD 5850 or phenom x6 1090t. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Thanks for the solid advice guys. Two things i noticed about the motherboard-
it supports only 1333 mhz for ddr3 ram (more if it is overclocked) i am not sure what this means, considering i would be buying the recommended 1600 mhz ram.

1333Mhz is the official ram speed supported by AMD & Intel (1066Mhz for X58). install 1600 or 2400Mhz will only result in clocking down the ram to 1333Mhz speed. it can be made to run at 1600Mhz by fiddling a bit in BIOS like upping the memory multiplier, if the board gives that option. or you can always overclock your processor to make the ram run at 1600Mhz.

Any native DirectX11 boards in a similar budget out there?

no DX11 board launched yet. maybe Sandy Bridges or Fusion will bring DX11 board to market. but as you getting a discrete graphics so you shouldn't give any care to it.

Some of the reviews for the motherboard suggested that this series was good only if one intended to have a crossfire setup

don't follow a review by hard. follow reviews only to:

1. know OC potential of a board/processor/graphics card.
2. build quality of the parts. or if they have heating issue or makes sound.
3. features the board carries.

don't go by their words like "best for Xfire". cause its personal choice. some reviewers may like having Xfire in the AMD flagship 890FX from Asus Crosshair IV Formula/Extreme. some maybe interested in going for MSI 870X Fusion, coupling an AMD + Nvidia card. whereas some will go with cheapest Xfire solution available in market. also do note, the temperature noted by reviewers are done in open table top + ~20degree C (AC cooled) so when you buy parts take it 10degree higher, considering Indian condition. well i went too far away from topic in discuss :grin:

Any cross fire alternatives in terms of the graphics card mentioned?

2 * HD5670 512Mb. but you'll be in big loss. stick to 1 card. either GTX460 1Gb or HD5850.

One last thing- this is a micro atx form factor board, any full form factor equivalent of this?

stick to mATX. Full ATX looks good but hardly any added feature. or any feature that you can't find in this mATX board.

I apologize beforehand if i am asking too many questions, i guess i am trying to find the best possible setup with futureproofing, stability and raw power as the main concerns. In that regard if by increasing my budget by 4-5000 might allow me some more range, i would rather do that.

best is to research well before buying. as you done the discussion well, so don't go by shopkeepers word. many members here fallen prey to those maniacs. get the parts you decided, even if they cost a bit more than similar or better looking parts.

I also saw that most reviews of the zotac graphics card loved it, although they said that it wasnt much of an performance improvement over the 768mb version. What do you suggest?

check price difference between 1Gb GTX460 & HD5850 (cheapest one, avoid XFX). than make the decision.

OP
T

tamalsen

Broken In
hey guys,
again, many thanks for the great suggestions- i read in an article that intel would be slashing prices and releasing their 6 core equivalent in october end? If that is the case, would it make sense to wait out for an intel setup? One small question- i was looking into individual cpu benchmark scores, and saw that inspite of being 6 cores, the amds were getting lower scores than some i7 processors, one of which is similarly priced to the 1090t. Is this because the benchmarks couldnt properly gauge a 6 core system or actual performance issues?

Would i see any major improvements if i used more than 4 gbs of ram? If so, would it make sense to use 4 x 2 gb or 2x 4 gb models? Keep in mind, i would be using the system for edit true hd editing without downconversion, among other things. One request- could you guys just humor me and suggest an atx motherboard as an alternative to the micro atx? Many thanks in advance..

Out of curiosity, has anyone here tried setting up their own homemade render farm?

On a lighter note, i thought of looking into mac pros cause the great setup would not only give me windows and mac, but Final Cut suite..Alas, it is insanely expensive. around 3 lakh for a good pro setup. Anyone want my kidneys?

Last edited:

Death_Knight

True Evil Never Dies
stick to mATX. Full ATX looks good but hardly any added feature. or any feature that you can't find in this mATX board.
Yes feature wise they are almost same. But I like ATX because of their array of expansion slots. An extra PCI card on a mATX board chokes the free air supply to the Graphx card cooler, but no such problem in ATX since you can maintain a large gap between them.

Anyone want my kidneys?
Yup, I need both of them, that too for free! I am in need of some hard cash myself for my system and in no mood for selling mine.:grin:

OP
T

tamalsen

Broken In
Unfortunately, I cant give out my kidneys for free! Okay guys, please suggest me an atx motherboard and suggestions about the pros and cons of 8 gb ram. And of course if anyone could explain to me about the i7 scores being better inspite of amd having more cores, i would be very grateful.

OP
T

tamalsen

Broken In
guys please suggest an atx motherboard and the ram issue...i am willing to increase my budget...my old system conked off..i need to buy it right now.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
And of course if anyone could explain to me about the i7 scores being better inspite of amd having more cores, i would be very grateful.
Please check out this and this for more information. You have to compare the Phenom II X6 1090t with the Core i7 920/930 as they are the ones which are priced approximately the same. Core i7 975 and 980X are priced around 50k.

OP
T

tamalsen

Broken In
so what motherboard should i get if i go for 5850? msi 890 is for nvidia, and what motherboard for ati 5850?? & any suggestions about getting more ram?
3x2gb
or
4x2gb
or
2x4gb?? please suggest asap...on the way to the shop right now.

Last edited:

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
so what motherboard should i get if i go for 5850? msi 890 is for nvidia, and what motherboard for ati 5850?? & any suggestions about getting more ram?
3x2gb
or
4x2gb
or
2*2GB is enough.

For single graphic card, you don't have to characterize motherboards. They work in every motherboard having a PCIe slot. It only matters when you are looking for SLi or Crossfire.

Piyush

Lanaya
3x2gb
or
4x2gb
or

as ico already said
its nothing like that "this mobo" suits ati/nvidia

u can happily go for this mobo and add any gfx card

OP
T

tamalsen

Broken In
hi guys, i got the system...everything is the same, except i got a 6 gb(3x2gb) gskill ripjaws ram kit, powercolor ati radeon 5850 card, and a 750w corsair smps(i will be adding some more stuff later so the extra power will be used). many thanks to you guys. i am facing a very odd problem- when i try to install any os, the system just keeps going into a reboot loop. have tried win xp, win7 & ubuntu with the same results. i have tried removing the graphics card, and using only one ram stick & each time i got the same reboot loop. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!

OP
T

tamalsen

Broken In
Ok problem solved. The issue was because the motherboard bios was unable to recognize the processor. A bios update was necessary. Guys, beware of this. MSI discourages people from trying m flash to update the bios because it fries motherboards. And you will need to update the bios to 1.7. Read up about making a pen drive bootable and then using it to update the bios!

Top Bottom