Need a basic desktop for 15k

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
That just means its going to be a bit less efficient. I remember the figure being 75%. Not a huge difference. Still, I asked the seller to replace it with Antec. Will post pics and review later.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
[MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION] VS400, 500 and 600 are in the link shared by you (80+ certified).
Also, the company claims guaranteed 80+ efficiency, which is more than enough to rely upon (because its Corsair):

VS Series™ VS350 — 350 Watt Power Supply
[MENTION=22157]Chetan1991[/MENTION] I am using VS450 myself for a much power-consuming system than yours. No instances of any issues (not even bigger noise or heat). Plus there is no proof where VS failed to deliver what its meant for (at least I couldn't find any, also asked others but no evidence yet)

My discussion thread: *forum.digit.in/pc-components-confi...nvidia-driver-issue-newly-build-system-2.html

You can get better PSU (additional power fail circuitry or much better capacitors quality) for extra price but it would be just waste of money. If you already bought it, no problem at all. Otherwise, you may want to buy one with bigger wattage (450+) if you have any plans of adding a graphics card in future. Otherwise 350w is alright.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
That just means its going to be a bit less efficient. I remember the figure being 75%. Not a huge difference. Still, I asked the seller to replace it with Antec. Will post pics and review later.

Is that antec BP series ? don't bother then .. VS is slightly better then Antec BP series

VS 350 is fine for your system , as long as you don't live in area where the power is bad/voltage fluctuations ( stresses the components esp primary cap ) and don't use it for gaming.. it is a decent PSU for basic builds..

But if you want to get something better , get VP350p only if you can get that around 2k or else directly go for Cx430 at 3k , skip antec VP450p

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
[MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION] VS400, 500 and 600 are in the link shared by you (80+ certified).
Also, the company claims guaranteed 80+ efficiency, which is more than enough to rely upon (because its Corsair):

[MENTION=22157]Chetan1991[/MENTION] I am using VS450 myself for a much power-consuming system than yours. No instances of any issues (not even bigger noise or heat). Plus there is no proof where VS failed to deliver what its meant for (at least I couldn't find any, also asked others but no evidence yet)

My discussion thread: *forum.digit.in/pc-components-confi...nvidia-driver-issue-newly-build-system-2.html

You can get better PSU (additional power fail circuitry or much better capacitors quality) for extra price but it would be just waste of money. If you already bought it, no problem at all. Otherwise, you may want to buy one with bigger wattage (450+) if you have any plans of adding a graphics card in future. Otherwise 350w is alright.
It's just 80+ Standard Certification.

It's not yet certified to function for good components using assembled systems where components are from different vendors.

The main component that gets damaged is the GPU because it draws power according to the load of the application.

Next will be HDD which will get bad sectors if proper power doesn't get provided.

Because of cheap Chinese Primary and Secondary capacitors that provide differential current when the unit is getting aged. It wont stay on by providing the same amount of power.
The quality decreases overtime. OK.

That is why I said it's made for Asian markets. Even HP OEM PSU is much better than Corsair VS Series PSUs.

Ultimately it's your monies and your components that will get fried eh.

My suggestion is either
Antec VP550P or Seasonic S12II 520w.

Best for medium and high end builds also.

Corsair good PSUs start with CX up till RM Series but they are costly compared with the above recommended.

All top tier PSUs to the medium end are made by Seasonic as such.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
@bssunilreddy VS400, 500 and 600 are in the link shared by you (80+ certified).

@Chetan1991 I am using VS450 myself for a much power-consuming system than yours. No instances of any issues (not even bigger noise or heat). Plus there is no proof where VS failed to deliver what its meant for (at least I couldn't find any, also asked others but no evidence yet)

I myself had a VS450 which went kaput after 2 and a half years
Good thing it didnt take any other component with it

So yea VS series does fail

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
[MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION] 2 out of 3 of them are bronze certified, one is standard. Even that is not bad though.
HP OEM PSU much better than VS series? I seriously doubt on that! Can you please tell why did you write so?
[MENTION=163350]ZTR[/MENTION] I see, what was your system configuration when it happened? Did it happen due to voltage fluctuations?

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
@bssunilreddy 2 out of 3 of them are bronze certified, one is standard. Even that is not bad though.
HP OEM PSU much better than VS series? I seriously doubt on that! Can you please tell why did you write so?
@ZTR I see, what was your system configuration when it happened? Did it happen due to voltage fluctuations?

Same config as it is in my signature (no ssd back then)
And no , no voltage fluctuations

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
[MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION] 2 out of 3 of them are bronze certified, one is standard. Even that is not bad though.
[MENTION=163350]ZTR[/MENTION] I see, what was your system configuration when it happened? Did it happen due to voltage fluctuations?
Vineet if you want to test those Corsair VS Series then buy them and use for your system eh.

Later you can enlighten others eh based on your experience eh.

Just my 2 cents...

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
[MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION] I am actually using it, with configuration mentioned in my specs. Its been only 3 months though. However, the good, almost 8 years old system at my home (rocking pentium dual core E5200 and Palit 9800GT) is having the same VS series PSU and it never given any problem, even in multiple electricity failures (no UPS). Please don't think that I am promoting it only because I have it, its just that I think it is good and does well what its supposed to, in terms of value of money.
[MENTION=163350]ZTR[/MENTION] That is sad to know. Do you overclock? I can see in your config. that your RAM is overclocked, hence the question.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Corsair VS series is ok for a non-gfx card/below 7770(or gfx cards that don't require a power connector) systems but above that is a matter of luck.For your older system VS series was fine but for your current system I recommend start saving to upgrade psu later.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
@whitestar_99 9800GT is 105w (maximum) card, requiring direct 6-pin power connector from PSU. On the other hand, 1060GTX is 120w (maximum) requiring same 6 pin power connector. The recommended PSU wattage for both cards are same (400w). Both of the cards run on variable power (hence, requiring varying electric power) to work.
Also, the TDP of both the processors (E5200 and i5 6600) is same i.e. 65w. Hence, the operating environment for both PSU's of mine are almost similar.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't go by TDP alone,by that criterion E5200 is same as i5 6600 which is completely incorrect.Same is the case for 9800GT & 1060GTX.PSU is not just about delivering power but also quality of power(aka ripples etc). Consider it like this,the old nokia N series phones with weight range of 160-170g & today's smartphones of same range.If you drop them it won't affect them in same way though force of impact which is dependent on gravity alone is same in both cases as weight of both devices are same.Today's smartphones are more delicate because of the internal components design.Same is the case with PC hardware.Today's PC components are much more complex though with same TDP as much older generations.

My point is don't just assume things like VS series is fine when general consensus is opposite(talking about technical reviews by pros),they can be fine if you are lucky but that is not something in your hand.What is in your hand is buying a better psu.If you think you can take the risk then no issues,you may find it true too.However in case you are wrong,you also might regret it(assuming bad psu took your mobo with it).If you can afford buying a better psu then there is no reason not to go for it.In case you can not afford then there is no other way except to rely on your luck,as simple as that.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] I agree, the quality of output matters. Here is one detailed review I could find:

Corsair VS450 Revie

The verdict finds it to have good quality output (performance under heavy load), but use of CapXon capacitors could be a concern for long term reliability (cheap quality!)
What are some good quality PSU's in indian market (450-550w), which can be bought without making big hole in one's pocket (Rs.5-6k max)? I would like to see their reviews for my knowledge.

Thanks!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] I agree, the quality of output matters. Here is one detailed review I could find:

Corsair VS450 Revie

The verdict finds it to have good quality output (performance under heavy load), but use of CapXon capacitors could be a concern for long term reliability (cheap quality!)
What are some good quality PSU's in indian market (450-550w), which can be bought without making big hole in one's pocket (Rs.5-6k max)? I would like to see their reviews for my knowledge.

Thanks!
Seasonic S12II 520w -5500.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
9800GT is 105w (maximum) card, requiring direct 6-pin power connector from PSU. On the other hand, 1060GTX is 120w (maximum) requiring same 6 pin power connector. The recommended PSU wattage for both cards are same (400w). Both of the cards run on variable power (hence, requiring varying electric power) to work.
Also, the TDP of both the processors (E5200 and i5 6600) is same i.e. 65w. Hence, the operating environment for both PSU's of mine are almost similar.

It's more complicated than that.
*forum.digit.in/power-supply-cabine...y-blacklist-thread-newbies-6.html#post2307390

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
@chimera201 didn't get your point

Even though power consumption has decreased due to efficient new architectures, power consumption in context for PSUs has actually gotten worse due to some 'tricks' being employed by GPU manufacturers.
To better understand it you will have to read the 9 page article at tomsHardware:
The Math Behind GPU Power Consumption And PSU

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
@whitestar_999 I agree, the quality of output matters. Here is one detailed review I could find:

Corsair VS450 Revie

Thanks!

Antec VP450P Rs.2600
*www.primeabgb.com/online-price-reviews-india/antec-vp450p-450w-power-supply/

- - - Updated - - -

@bssunilreddy I am actually using it, with configuration mentioned in my specs. Its been only 3 months though. However, the good, almost 8 years old system at my home (rocking pentium dual core E5200 and Palit 9800GT) is having the same VS series PSU and it never given any problem, even in multiple electricity failures (no UPS). Please don't think that I am promoting it only because I have it, its just that I think it is good and does well what its supposed to, in terms of value of money.
@ZTR That is sad to know. Do you overclock? I can see in your config. that your RAM is overclocked, hence the question.

I have OC'ed and Undervolted my CPU and as for RAM that is just overclocked a bit with no voltage increase

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Thank you @Chimera21, that was helpful!

I just checked my home's system. Its having VX450, and not VS450! I think VX is discontinued now (its 8 years old), but was it good? I couldn't find it in any of the tier lists. Should I consider switching it with VS450 for my new system?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thank you @Chimera21, that was helpful!

I just checked my home's system. Its having VX450, and not VS450! I think VX is discontinued now (its 8 years old), but was it good? I couldn't find it in any of the tier lists. Should I consider switching it with VS450 for my new system?
VX series was legendary where as VS series is crappy PSU.

Better go with Seasonic S12II 520w @ 5.5k
Or
Antec VP550P @ 4K
Since VP450P has short cables.