National Encryption Policy- Another joke or India wants to be NSA ?

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
My another rant..

So, India's National Encryption Policy Draft is out and is seeking suggestions from general public before implementing it. There is whole lot of story in it, however, I will go through some basic stuff in short:

1. They want every citizen to be aware of encryption system and expect everyone tech savvy enough to understand it too.
2. They want everyone including business, citizens to have copy of all their encrypted communication in plain text format for atleast 90 days and should present if asked by law, if you can't, face legal action.
3. They want all worldwide app / web provider using encryption to register with Govt. of India (there are millions of websites using encryption and being accessed in India).. else all will illegal.
4. They want to have plain text version of all information, it may implies that all ecommerce and other institution also store un-encrypted version of user data so that in case of hack.. hacker gets to know everything without trouble .. ? So your password on digit forum will be stored in plain text format..

In short, they don't want to hide anything from Govt.. technically making encryption useless.. since you can't really use it for your privacy..

There is even more.. however, I could be wrong in interpreting it but ..this doesn't make sense at all, what kind of policy it is, I wonder who are those experts drafted this policy ? Or it is intentionally made this way to become NSA of India ? I don't see how these policy are practical , moreover if they are implemented the way Govt. suggested in draft, will it not be an abuse of democracy ?

Apparently all citizens can send their comments on the draft policy to akrishnan@deity.gov.in by October 16 and give suggestions.

Rant source: National Encryption Policy Draft of India inviting suggestions - are you serious ?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Plain stupidity. Storing that much information without encryption will lead to personal as well as commercial loss. Indian Govt has gone retarded. This will make the entire economy vulnerable to hacking.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
eh support it just to see what happens
we should start supporting this noble cause by sending all our communication in hard copy to this DeitY
they also have a fax number Contact Us | Government of India, Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY)
hmmm

tkin

Back to school!!
Some big issue is coming up or has come up, possibly Bihar polls and Netaji files, the govt wants to direct our views away from that, hence this ruckus. This thing will never get implemented, can't wonder Airtel or Ambani storing business data in text format, this is just some noise to hide something more sinister.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Dep withdrawn
It is not withdrawn as such. It was purposefully presented like this in the first place so that the slightly reworded policy which will be presented again would be acceptable for the public as a good compromise. All the while that is the original intention of government.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I like their spin. They are scared of public having access to easy encryption, and they are saying, we will give you encryption as long as you show us everything as and when required.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
someone get a RTI to disclose last 90 day communication official email id of the guy who proposed it.

Top Bottom