My RaspberryPi

OP
layzee

layzee

■■■■■■
Does ModMyPi ships to India? Any Customs or Duty I need to pay?

So what you are doing currently with your Pi? :p (Just interested in what various types of uses peoples are putting it to)

Yes they do ship to India (with Royal Mail usually). The best part, however, is that (atleast from my observations) the packages were marked as "gifts" making them exempt from any additional customs duty/taxes.

To be honest I've learnt a lot of things ranging from cross-compilation, building a linux kernel for a ARM cpu from sources, GPIO programming with both Python and C, even churned out some bare metal images using ARM EABI. The sad part, I joined my job about a month after I bought this - apart from a few peripheral interfacing projects and upgrading the firmware, I haven't done much since.

congrats! that's a good price you got it for. and thanks for sharing the link!
even i was contemplating buying one, for the purpose of music-streaming. but will have to read more on the 'whats' and the 'hows'.

I'm planning to buy a Pi to use it as a 24x7 download center..anyone here tried this?

Its more of a development/learning tool than a Torrent box/Streaming device but I've seen people running it 24/7 as a micro-server.

vicedens2002

Broken In
Yes they do ship to India (with Royal Mail usually). The best part, however, is that (atleast from my observations) the packages were marked as "gifts" making them exempt from any additional customs duty/taxes.

To be honest I've learnt a lot of things ranging from cross-compilation, building a linux kernel for a ARM cpu from sources, GPIO programming with both Python and C, even churned out some bare metal images using ARM EABI. The sad part, I joined my job about a month after I bought this - apart from a few peripheral interfacing projects and upgrading the firmware, I haven't done much since.

Its more of a development/learning tool than a Torrent box/Streaming device but I've seen people running it 24/7 as a micro-server.

You bought the raspberry pi from modmypi?? I also have the same.... I also wanted to learn about kernel compiling but dont know where to start. So far don't just basic GPIO programming based on Python... Currently running raspbmc.. And may I ask what kind of job you are into..??

OP
layzee

layzee

■■■■■■
You bought the raspberry pi from modmypi?? I also have the same.... I also wanted to learn about kernel compiling but dont know where to start. So far don't just basic GPIO programming based on Python... Currently running raspbmc.. And may I ask what kind of job you are into..??

If you want to build your own kernel from source this guide will be helpful. As you might have noticed, this guide does not provide the instructions to build the latest kernel. If you desire to do so, the articles here will come in handy.

sharang.d

Youngling
@OP How is everything working?
I am planning on getting this to hook it up to my TV and use it as a media center and a torrenting client.

What all did you have to get extra? Power cables and such?

The cheapest on the modymipi site i can see is 70ish$ for the starter kit.

OP
layzee

layzee

■■■■■■
@OP How is everything working?
I am planning on getting this to hook it up to my TV and use it as a media center and a torrenting client.

What all did you have to get extra? Power cables and such?

The cheapest on the modymipi site i can see is 70ish$ for the starter kit.

Apologies for the late reply.
The ModMyPi starter kit is waaay to expensive.

Stuff that can be sourced from local stores:
A SD card (8GB recommended) that will contain the GNU/Linux distro.
A decent USB high-current (I'd recommend something rated at 1.5A or more) 5V adapter will be able to power it.
A decent HDMI cable and a micro USB cable.
A powered USB hub is necessary if you are plugging in an external HDD, keyboard and mouse together.

Stuff that can be sourced from ModMyPi:
A heatsink kit will add some thermal headroom to the Pi.
A case that can protect the Pi from dust.

Additionals:
An external USB DAC (cause the onboard sound isn't anywhere near good)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I'm planning to buy a Pi to use it as a 24x7 download center..anyone here tried this?

Its a bit late but you could try getting a USB port capable router and install DD-WRT on it.. It could then download torrents/direct links directly on a separate HDD

vicedens2002

Broken In
Apologies for the late reply.
The ModMyPi starter kit is waaay to expensive.

Stuff that can be sourced from local stores:
A SD card (8GB recommended) that will contain the GNU/Linux distro.
A decent USB high-current (I'd recommend something rated at 1.5A or more) 5V adapter will be able to power it.
A decent HDMI cable and a micro USB cable.
A powered USB hub is necessary if you are plugging in an external HDD, keyboard and mouse together.

Stuff that can be sourced from ModMyPi:
A heatsink kit will add some thermal headroom to the Pi.
A case that can protect the Pi from dust.

Additionals:
An external USB DAC (cause the onboard sound isn't anywhere near good)

Am interested in this USB DAC. Is it a multichannel one? Available in India? Price?

OP
layzee

layzee

■■■■■■
Am interested in this USB DAC. Is it a multichannel one? Available in India? Price?

I was, at the most, referring to a stereo DAC like the FiiO's E07K or E17.
But those are primarily for headphones.
A good Multichannel DAC would cost a bomb.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
I recently assemble a Pi for torrent downloading. All components were bought from ebay.in. No need to spend money on pre-configured or full kits. You don't even need a display or keyboard or mouse to configure the pi. All can be done in a headless installation.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
I ordered all components from ebay.in. To start with you will need the following components:

1. Raspberry board
2. 8GB SD card or microSD card with SD card adapter. 4GB can also be used.
3. USB charger preferably 1A or 2A power rated. For installation and testing, laptop usb port can be used.
4. micro USB cable to power the Pi.
5. RJ45 LAN cable
6. A USB card reader to install the OS from Windows onto the SD card.
7. A powered USB hub if you want to use external HDD. I'm using a 32GB pendrive which can be powered directly from the Pi's usb port.
8. A case and heat sinks. These are optional.

The initial step is to download Raspbian OS and burn the ISO image to the SD card using Win32DiskImager. Then insert the sd card into the SD card slot of Pi, connect network cable to router, and power using the microusb cable. After around one minute, you can access the pi command line using Putty from Windows PC connected to the same network.

I basically followed the guide from *www.howtogeek.com/142044/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-an-always-on-bittorrent-box/ to configure deluge torrent client. I also tried transmission, but settled with deluge as it is very easy to use and configure. This works better than uTorrent in Windows.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Thank you for the Explaination, Baiju :goodjob:

1.) How much in total did it cost you in total from ebay.in..?

to all:

Guys, is this Raspberry Pi available to purchase as a full built-in 'complete' unit here in India.??

amjath

Human Spambot

to all:

Guys, is this Raspberry Pi available to purchase as a full built-in 'complete' unit here in India.??

yes, and there is a new raspberry pi unit is also released in same price

Buy Raspberry Pi | Accessories For Raspberry Pi | element14 India

PI HEATSINK KIT - MULTICOMP - HEATSINK KIT, FOR RASPBERRY PI | element14 India

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
yes, and there is a new raspberry pi unit is also released in same price

Buy Raspberry Pi | Accessories For Raspberry Pi | element14 India

PI HEATSINK KIT - MULTICOMP - HEATSINK KIT, FOR RASPBERRY PI | element14 India
Oh Thanx alot for this Info..

IS that an Indian based Company or do they just ship to india (from outside)..?

amjath

Human Spambot
Oh Thanx alot for this Info..

IS that an Indian based Company or do they just ship to india (from outside)..?

Not an Indian based company, its shipped from their warehouse which is not in India. But They are the official distributors of Raspberry pi

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz

to all:

I bought individual components from ebay.in and IIRC the cost was around 3.5K only. Don't go for complete kit offers, they are overly priced.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Thanx a TON! to both of you, Appreciate your replies.. :)
---------------

So, basically..

The setup would be:
Monitor+Raspberry Pi+LAN (RJ45) Cable+MicroSD Card/similar Card (acting as a HDD with OS)+I/O devices (Kybrd+mouse)

Right..??:-?

My Purpose: To use a completely Stand-alone 'Raspberry Pi' based PC (WinXP or Win7 based OS) for 24/7 downloading from :ahem: Sources

So need your inputs on the same...

Cheers n e-peace....

Last edited:
Top Bottom