My Phenom II X4 940 died..what to do?

twinik

Broken In
Hi,
After 5-6 years of heavy usage my CPU died yesterday. I took out the mobo and CPU and took it to the service center they declared the CPU DOA. So my question is whether I buy a new CPU for my same aged mobo Gigabyte GAMA790GP UD4H or should I buy a new pair of mobo and CPU. In the latter case what would you suggest me to buy? For the past few yrs I could not track the progress in this area so I'm bit confused for which one to buy, or rather I do not have enough idea? In the second case if Ive to buy both the components then I cant go beyond 20K by any means. Please suggest the best 20 K can buy. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I do a lot of video and music editing plus Corel and Photoshop, Flash etc.
Please help me out asap coz its very difficult for me to survive without my PC...:-(

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
[MENTION=105611]bavusani[/MENTION]:AMD FX 8350 is quite a power hungry cpu-the op hasn't specified what psu he currently owns and so I'm assuming that it isn't a very good one.Therefore if he wishes to go for this cpu+motherboard combo,I think he'll have to upgrade his psu as well for which he'll have to spend atleast Rs 4000-5000 more and that will exceed his budget by a considerable margin.Also you haven't factored in the cost of a new stick of DDR3 RAM which will set him back by atleast Rs 2000 more(for a 2GB module).And as he's not a hardcore gamer,he won't be needing such a powerful cpu either.So it will be a better idea for him to go for a fx-6300 cpu instead which is a lot cheaper and will suffice for his current needs-besides,with the cash that he'll be able to save he can easily get new a psu and RAM for his rig without having to spend more money.

Cilus

laborare est orare
OP is a power editor, check the list of applications he has mentioned. All of them requires a powerful CPU and Gaming is not the only thing for which powerful CPU is required.
[MENTION=134559]twinik[/MENTION], please post the Power supply or SMPS you are currently having. You won't get a new CPU supported by your motherboard as Phenom II CPUs have been discontinued.

Here is my suggestion:-
AMD FX-8320 @ 10.5K
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P @ 5.6K
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz @ 4.8K (Snapdeal.com, currently the cheapest 8GB Ram available from a reputed brand)

OP
T

twinik

Broken In
OP is a power editor, check the list of applications he has mentioned. All of them requires a powerful CPU and Gaming is not the only thing for which powerful CPU is required.
[MENTION=134559]twinik[/MENTION], please post the Power supply or SMPS you are currently having. You won't get a new CPU supported by your motherboard as Phenom II CPUs have been discontinued.

Here is my suggestion:-
AMD FX-8320 @ 10.5K
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P @ 5.6K
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz @ 4.8K (Snapdeal.com, currently the cheapest 8GB Ram available from a reputed brand)

Corsair GS600

- - - Updated - - -

the gigabyte board you suggested has no HDMI/VGA/DVI ports...how to connect the Display then!!! Do Ive to go for a Graphics card??

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Corsair GS600

- - - Updated - - -

the gigabyte board you suggested has no HDMI/VGA/DVI ports...how to connect the Display then!!! Do Ive to go for a Graphics card??

if 20k is the maximum budget, then consider the following.
i5 4440- 12k
gigabyte h81m s2pv - 4.2k
Kingston HyperX 8GB x 1 - 4.8K .
if you can extend a little bit for the gpu, then add that gpu with the configuration mentioned by [MENTION=68896]Cilus[/MENTION] . fx 8320 should perform better with your work loads .

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
fx series does not comes with iGPU. So either go for the i5 suggested or get a cheap GPU ~ 2K if you go with the fx.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
AMD FX 6300 -7500,
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P -5800,
Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB -5600,
Zotac GT610 Synergy Edition 2GB -2700.
TOTAL -21,600.

OP
T

twinik

Broken In
8320 looks better to me...
how is this mobo by Asrock...hows its after sales service etc...In India who takes care of AsRock?
*www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A85X%20Extreme6/

- - - Updated - - -

And hows this combo???
*www.theitdepot.com/details-Asrock%20FM2A85X%20Extreme6%20+%20AMD%20A8%206600K%20+%20G.skill%20Ripjaws-X%208GB_C58P21633.html

- - - Updated - - -

I think I've really lost it..whats this APU? Whats the difference between A series and FX series?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
8320 looks better to me... how is this mobo by Asrock...hows its after sales service etc...In India who takes care of AsRock? *www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A85X%20Extreme6/ - - - Updated - - - And hows this combo??? *www.theitdepot.com/details-Asrock%20FM2A85X%20Extreme6%20+%20AMD%20A8%206600K%20+%20G.skill%20Ripjaws-X%208GB_C58P21633.html - - - Updated - - - I think I've really lost it..whats this APU? Whats the difference between A series and FX series?

hey the mobo chosen is not compatible with any of the FX series cpus. APU stands for accelerated processing unit and has a cpu and built in gpu on to the same die.fx serie cpu does not have igpu. means you have to use a dedicated gpu or a mobo with on board graphics to get display out.. these are no powerful compared to fx 8320/8350/6300 as at max you get a quad core only. get the i5 config or fx 8320+a dedicated gpu

OP
T

twinik

Broken In
[MENTION=68896]Cilus[/MENTION]
Ok so it seems that for FX8320, Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard is better. Please do recommend the RAMs and the minimum possible compatible Graphic card.

Cilus

laborare est orare
I just wanted to say one thing, if you are not planning to go for SLI or Crssfire Dual GPU solution in future, yo can opt for a good quality AMD 970 chipset based motherboard around 8K. Ram is the same as I suggested earlier, HyperX 8GB. For GPU, you can get a cheap GPU like HD 6450.

OP
T

twinik

Broken In
^ I'm confused now.
Please suggest me the total config which includes the proc, mobo, RAM and GPU if required. There is no question of Dual GPU etc...as I said earlier I'm no gamer and not by any chance i'll get into it...
My only needs are Corel, Photoshop, video ed. Music ed and web graphics, a few CAD softwares like UG, AutoCAD, Solidworks etc (that too occasionally)...give me the specs now and I can extend my budget upto 25K

Cilus

laborare est orare
I have already suggested you Processor, Motherboard and ram. Just add a Graphics card like Sapphire HD 5450 1GB DDR3 @ 2K.

OP
T

twinik

Broken In
OK so I've bought the following:
FX8320 @ 9K
ASUS M5A97 Evo 2.0 @ 7K
Sapphire R7 250 @5.2K
Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 1600 MHz @4.8K
Total Budget - 26K
Well its around 4k over my budget but I guess I won't be needing another up gradation in the coming 3-5 years!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
FX8320 @ 9K
ASUS M5A97 Evo 2.0 @ 7K
Sapphire R7 250 @5.2K
Total Budget - 26K
Well its around 4k over my budget but I guess I won't be needing another up gradation in the coming 3-5 years!

Congrats.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
FX8320 @ 9K
ASUS M5A97 Evo 2.0 @ 7K
Sapphire R7 250 @5.2K
Total Budget - 26K

Congrats .. BTW, can you share the where from you got vengeance for so cheap ?

Top Bottom