My Lab Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
This post is not a review as the components I have in my new workstation are already reviewed on several web sites.. This thread is about my Rig, how to benchmark it & what are the safe temperature limits etc.

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2263/2309998529_e83a9775af.jpg

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2353/2395402907_a98477f898.jpg

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2307/2527080499_8796b99258.jpg

The configuration is...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel DG31PR Motherboard
2X1 GB Kingston ValueRAM KVR667D2N5/1G DDR2 667 RAM
Zebronics Lava Cabinet with Zebronics Platinum 400W SMPS
Western Digital WD1600AAJS 160 GB SATA 2 Hard disk with 8 MB Buffer.
Samsung SH-SH203D DVD Writer
Sapphire Radeon HD 3650 with 256 MB DDR2 RAM
XBOX 360 Wireless Controller with XBOX 360 Wireless gaming receiver for Windows.
Philips HiFi SHP8900 headphones
Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000
Zebronics Desktop Commander Keyboard
Microsoft Lifecam VX-3000
LG L206WTQ 20" LCD Monitor

Windows Experience Index Score.

*img266.imageshack.us/img266/6784/experienceindexop0.jpg

Cinebench R10 CB Score = 4145

*img134.imageshack.us/img134/9418/runningcinebenchns5.th.jpg

Everest system stability test result for stress test of 2 hrs

*img407.imageshack.us/img407/6060/systemstabilityti6.jpg

With Orthos 30 mins "Stress CPU" Test, the CPU reached a maximum of 59C

*img187.imageshack.us/img187/594/orthosvr9.th.jpg

This is the temperature of my system after 1 hour of normal usage.

*img155.imageshack.us/img155/5046/tempratureed9.jpg

Stuff that I still need to buy in Delhi in order of Priority

APC 500VA UPS

Creative GigaWorks T40 speakers

Cooler Master iGreen Power 430W or any other Cooler Master SMPS within 2k. My System needs 250W in peak mode

Western Digital 120 GB External Passport Hard disk

Leadtek Winfast DTV1800 H Media Center Edition TV Tuner card

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Nice rig :D contrags on the system :)

I ran the Everest system stability test for about 2 hrs, & here are the temperature results. Are they under safe limits?

To test processor Temps, run Core Temp while Orthos will get the hell out of the processor :lol:

Bellow 65c is what you should stay with your Core2 system :D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I don't know what the safe limits are but your CPU is getting quite hot.
Also 58 C seems to be a very high min temp for your mobo.
Plus there is too much fluctuation in the voltage. Not a very good sign.

Since there isn't any dust or cable clutter in your case, I assume that either your temp sensor or Everest is busted or there isn't proper contact between the processor surface and the heatsink. If nothing works then use some Arctic Silver paste to get the temps under control.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

*www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/...essor/processors/core2extreme/tech/203838.htm

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I'm not talking of the fluctuation in the CPU core. That is completely normal.

It's the crucial 12V rail that seems messed up. 13.74 on a 12V rail is bad.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I would have choosen XFX 630i 7150 as my mother board if staying onboard !!!

Even I would have chosen that motherboard if I was to stay with onboard graphics. I will be buying a 8600GT soon so bought Intel motherboard.

I assume that either your temp sensor or Everest is busted

Even I am assuming that as I checked & installed the CPU myself, so it has proper contact. Also, the sensor is showing Aux temprature as 124 degress celcius which is imposible.

SMPS is temporary, I will buy a new one within one month. What power SMPS will I need for this sytem? 400W or higher?

Core 2 CPU shuts down at 65C to prevent from damage. The maximum I reached was 64C. Now going to run orthos to stress test.

Choto, how to run orthos properly?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
SMPS is temporary, I will buy a new one within one month. What power SMPS will I need for this sytem? 400W or higher?

GX, when thinking of adding 8600 GT and doing long and demanding processecing, do try at-least Zebronics Platinum 500 watts which is Rs. 1500/- + TAX in Kolkata :)

problem is these local brands at Rs. 400 really cant give you a 450 watts PSU, at max out put comes 350 watts or so :(

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Core 2 CPU shuts down at 65C to prevent from damage. The maximum I reached was 64C. Now going to run orthos to stress test.

Choto, how to run orthos properly?

orthos will push 4/5 C higher for sure than any other CPU test... its almost baap of them all :lol:

Before orthos get your self the Core Temp

Run it with admin access, it will show the CPU and each of its core temps :D

now download, extract the CAB file, double click :D and strees the CPU only :)

for example this is a test I ran at my Over clocked E6600 (u have a better Over Clocker than me :lol:)

*img502.imageshack.us/img502/4076/untitledfv7.jpg

If you don't mind spending a bit extra then get a Cooler Master eXtreme Power 500W for Rs. 2800-3000

It will be a over kill for this System :lol:

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Think of it as insurance for the brand new PC you just bought. And atleast the voltages will be stable. Plus you get the option of adding virtually any graphics card in the future without upgrading the PSU.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Think of it as insurance for the brand new PC you just bought. And atleast the voltages will be stable. Plus you get the option of adding virtually any graphics card in the future without upgrading the PSU.

Zebronics 500 watts Platium is fine for 8800 GT :) and once again personal opinion spending 3k on a 500 watts its Over priced :(

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Check this site to see how much power you require
*www.extreme.outervision.com/

It may seem overpriced when you compare it to a local brand but it's the bare minimum used in any half-decent rig abroad. I can't understand why we tend to skimp on the PSU in India.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
I can't understand why we tend to skimp on the PSU in India.

Tell me, why would I need Cooler Master over Zebronics ?? in real world what problem I would face with Zebronics or even a Power Safe or ColorSit 450 watts running Over Clocked C2D with 120 nm ThermalRight ultra eXterem, 8800 GTS (single) 4 GB DDR-II 4 SATA HDD 2 IDE DVD RW ??

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
CM extreme 460W costs 2900bucks..a 500 w would even be more costly.. + he aint using some 8800GTX so its a total insane waste of money (for this rig)
for him zebby is good.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Tell me, why would I need Cooler Master over Zebronics ?? in real world what problem I would face with Zebronics or even a Power Safe or ColorSit 450 watts running Over Clocked C2D with 120 nm ThermalRight ultra eXterem, 8800 GTS (single) 4 GB DDR-II 4 SATA HDD 2 IDE DVD RW ??
To avoid the kind of problem that gx_saurav is facing.

Even a local brand can provide enough power but it can't maintain the voltage at a steady level when under load.
Just ask the guys on the forum who own a branded PSU why they bought it.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
^ i m one of those guys *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/4.gif thats why telling him not to go for so much pricey PSU.he currenly owns Iball psu-which is poor quality-but i never expected it to be so poor..zebby's good for his config--there's never gonna be a load that it cant handle.majority low-med-end pc owners go for it \powersafe.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
To avoid the kind of problem that gx_saurav is facing.

I seems to be missing the problem ??? what is the problem what GX is facing ??

for information I am running my C2D E6600 @ 3.6 GHz 24/7 with all those accessories woth just 450 watts LOCAL made ColorSiT Rs. 900/- for last 1.5 years...

thats just my personal PC, where as in cafe I an running many systems with local 400 watts (default cheapest PSU with Cabinet @ Rs. 650 total) with 8600 GT and some as X2 some C2D some older power hingry P4 :lol: No issue till date...

I am even running few C2Q at those local cheast 450 watts with 8400 :lol: and even some little OC at 2.8 too :| till date no issue there also

However I updated those C2Q PSU to Zebronics as those local PSU cant OC higher than 2.8 and I wanted to add some more HDD too...

By just for so many words "get better PSU" I bought one Cooler Master eXtereme 600 watts @ Rs. 3500/- + TAX !! and after these months I see its complete waste of money :(

So i trust I results I am getting from my own end !!!

Till date no Real world problem... so please do let me know what real world problem I would face ??

Hey GX, some result and screeny from the TEST of Orthos :D please

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom