My First Buy

N73AB

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys i've ordered a Radeon HD4870 512mb GDDR5 graphics card from ebay.in and the seller told me that i'll be needing a 2 molex to 6 pin PCI-e connector as it doesn't comes inside the box. I have a standard 450W Zebronics power supply and i know i'll surely be needing that connector cable? The seller itself is selling it for Rs.500. Is there any other place to buy it inside delhi?

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Not only the cable. You will need a power supply unit as well unless you want to blow up your pc.

Read these 2 threads:-

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-supply-cabinets-mods/147389-power-supply-blacklist-thread-newbies.html

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-supply-cabinets-mods/104472-basic-guide-right-power-supply.html

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
@OP - Can you please let us know other components of your PC like CPU, Mobo, RAM, ect and on what was the factor behind you deciding on to buy HD4870? How much did it cost you?

Thetrueblueviking

No highs, No lows = Bose.
OP why didnt you consult the forum members before ordering the 4870 ?
How much did u have to pay for it ?
Can u still cancel the order ?

OP
N

N73AB

I Saw it on ebay.in for Rs. 4500 and its a 512mb version so i booked it. but after i came to know about the power supply requirements i was pale face. I have:-
AMD FX4100
4GB RAM
MSI 760GM-P21 Mother Board
I saw a Zebronics Gold PSU 450W for about 1k, is that a safe choice? also.... what are the things that can potentially "blow up a machine". I want to run every game on medium load, is that fine?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
that HD4870 is now ancient history ( though holds some serious power under the hood ) - at 4.5k this must be second hand or out of warranty and powering it with Zebronics 450W PSU - don't even think that be it gold/platinum or even diamond - cancel the order Asap - grab a HD6670 at the same price but if you still want to stick with HD4870 prepare to get a Corsair CX500Wv2 PSU @ 3.3k.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
@OP Do what topgear has suggested. Its the best option for you. Doesn't make sense paying 4.5k for a 4870. And you will have to buy a new psu as well.

OP
N

N73AB

The seller is also selling a 9800GTX,8800GTX,HD4850,HD4830 and many more graph. cards. The seller is also top rated and ebay has put all of his products in the featured category plus,no negative reviews about that seller in the past year out of 250 items sold. Seller has stated the product as "New" or "unused". That's y i bought it from there...... if he doesn't ships my item within 5 days my amt. will b refunded.

My friend is using a HYTECH power supply for almost a month and recently he installed a Radeon HD6670 1GB GDDR5. His machine is working fine without any prob. also i saw on youtube that HD4870 could potentially be run on a 305 W PSU.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
potentially

dont try that. you wouldnt want your whole rig to brick just coz you decided to go cheap on the PSU.

OP
N

N73AB

Guys, the ebay seller has just called me up and said that he has ran out of stock for the HD4870(Rs 4500 without 6 pin pci-e cable) but is instead giving me 3 Choices for same amount of money: HD4830 512mb 256bit GDDR3(with pci-e cable and 1 Year extended warranty), 9800GTX+(with pci-e cable),8800GTX+(with pci-e cable) also he has given me a choice to refund my money. What should i do now?

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
you are fortunate.. get a full refund and go for HD7750. you wont need a PSU for now, but in the long run, you may want to change it.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Don't opt for any of the gpu's he is offering. Ask for a full refund and buy a new gpu. The ones he is offering are outdated.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
DO NOT GET THAT CARD!!!

that is out dated it takes 150 w from psu.power hungry card.

refund your whole money thats all.

you are getting 4870 card at 4500 + you need new psu so +2700

total= 7100

at that price you can go with new hd 7750 at 6.7k and is low powered card of 55w.you can run hd 7750 with your current psu
second hand gpu are not better as gpu not have long life.even if you buy that 4870 card that will not run for long.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - did you ever wondered why the ebay seller is selling all the EOLed gfx cards ? you should avoid him ... and talking about your friends running HD6670 on a cheap generic PSU well, there's ~100-120W power consumption difference between HD6670 and HD4870 and ~20W between 9800GTX+ ( or GTS 250 ) and HD4870.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@OP refund your money and avoid the seller. All the cards he is offering you are obsolete and I wont recommend you to get any of them.

Thetrueblueviking

No highs, No lows = Bose.
OP - it was a blessing in disguise that the seller ran out of stock - save your money. Get a better gpu - 6670/7750/7770 - which ever suits your budget.

And please replace your psu for your components sake.

Top Bottom