Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

hot zubs

live life king like...
I'm gonna show my complete support to SRK and I'll watch d movie MNIS for sure...
MNIS wil surely not fail...

Xmen360

Broken In
Is it practically possible? I'd too like to do so.

Yes it is but will take some time.
First I searched the net for how to dothis.. then came to a solution.

Solution:
Click on Thread Tools > click on show printable version.
Then click on "show 50 posts on this thread.."
Thats the maximum one can do with this forum.So in all one will need to click 157 times ... (with 50 posts per page) and save those files individually.

But I actaully wanted to find a better version like "keeping all the images and all intact"

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
^i suggest just save the last 100 pages of this thread since the first 150 or so are plagued by movies reco'ed by n00bs like American Pie and very obvious hollywood blockbusters from imdb's top 100

Fantastic Mr.Fox 3.25/5
A well made film with many all too much known situations.if only this could be compared to the first 30mins of Up.Up still remains this years best animated hollywood movie

Sin Novemre 4/5
There is so much to like about this film despite it seeming like a immigration documentary and a love story during struggle.Entertaining foreign cinema for even typical "english" movie buffs

A Christmas Tale 4.5/5
It's as long as most hindi movies but has so much ambiguity.A weird and dysfunctional family with a cliche'd christmas theme but very real family interactions.a few "WTF" moments maybe due to the lack of universality of the script but brilliantly done ntl.A must watch this

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
Up in the Air 3/5

Despite its predictable story and suspicious timing( during the economic crisis), the powerful performances by the 2 females are really refreshing compared to mr.predictable G.Clooney.All other "american" emotions and scenarios here draw no sympathy from the viewer.Apart from the acting there isnt much to love about this.Maybe i'm a bit harsh due to its popularity but this one isnt worthy of a "best film" award

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

btw i cant figure whats wrong with the TOI oldie.he rates MNIK 5/5 Harichandrachi... 4/5 and Valentine's day 3/5 :mad: V-day is the hollywood equivalent of veer i'm sure :-| somebody's gotta fire him

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Failan 7.5/10

Love possible!!!

Good movie with very good acting by lead actors. Story is a bit in league of "Christmas in August".

Check out if r looking for some emotional stuff.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
My Name is Khan - 3.5/5

I couldnt understand why TOI gave 5 star rating to this film..Media is creating unnecessary brouhaha over it ...

SRK and Kajol looking good back together...Film gets very slow in the middle..Episodes like Georgia flood etc stop the flow of the film..

Overall a one time watch only

PS: For all CWO fanboys like me , in film MNIK.. when two Indian reporters ask younger bro (Jimmy Shergill) of SRK whereabouts, in background wall there is CWO poster on the wall :D

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@rhitwick
Ending is just so unpredictable and emotionally terrifying. Even without meeting that woman the male lead was deeply connected to her. ;(

Only recommended for serious cinema buffs.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@rhitwick
Ending is just so unpredictable and emotionally terrifying. Even without
Only recommended for serious cinema buffs.

Yes, its different.
Thats why I wrote Love possible.

Initially I felt boring, as the transition of past and present were so thin that I was loosing the track of the story. But later its seriously moving story.

And, seriously a few frames are so beautiful I just paused and stared at it for some times.
This is one of them,
*www.imgx.org/files/56717_jnwc4/Failan.JPG

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Couple's Retreat - Enjoyed the movie except for the sloppy ending. I always love Vince Vaughn's comic timing. Kristen Bell was smoking hot. Plus the Island on which the movie was shot was unbelievable. It's a good afternoon snack flick.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
My Name is Khan 8/10
Clarification: I’m a SRK fanboy (ya, the big one) and this is a biased review. If you want an unbiased one look at the bottom section for a few words on that.
A few years or decades ago the movies used to be on themes like Muslims and Hindus, their clash, pain of clash, fear of being dragged into it. But for some years now the human species seems to be divided into two sections, one is human and another is muslims. Classification of human on religion is dangerous and disgrace to humanity itself.
For years and quite recently movies are being made to portray the message that Rizwan’s mother teaches him at early years there are only two kinds of people in this world good and bad. But movies have their own style and language of telling this and My Name Is Khan has its own.
After a long time I saw SRK did a character role. Those of you hate him for being repetitive, watch this, its sure a breather for u guys. And, those of u liked his Swades and Chak De, then add this one too in ur list. For those of fans like me, it was a treat to watch him exploring a totally different ground, we were tired of convincing that he can do it, those other two movies are not from fluke.
Best thing in this movie is (SRK obviously) the dialog. SRK is given such beautiful dialogs, totally unmatched comments in some serious scenes puts u in dilemma, should u think over the serious matter or laugh on SRK’s innocent comment.
Songs, when heard in audio only format, are just average, nothing special. BUT, surprisingly they are so so appropriate for the scenes they are used that u don’t feel them un-necessary at all. The songs just blend with the scenes, a true use of song in a movie. Movie and songs both are incomplete without each other.
To all, watch this, there are something for all of us.
TO SH1TSENA, yes his name is KHAN and he’s not a terrorist!!!

A few words for those who came directly here, please read above one too!!!
Rating 7.5/10
Story: Good with a very strong message to deliver. Hats off to Karan for the bold theme.
Cinematography: Good.
Screenplay: Good. I felt at some conclusive parts the finishing dialogs were not so impactful as they should have been.
Editing: Could have been much better. The mid-part sure slows down a bit and if u r too observant, it may bore u. A shorter version would have been much appealing.
Acting: SRK good in a very different role and does very well. But a few scenes I felt are just out of tune. Kajol pre-marriage scenes are very loveable and charming, later her role was not in focus. Basically these two persons are who the movie made of; rest could have been done by any-one. Both the child artists are worth mentionable.
Overall a good movie with a good message, with its share of loopholes. Do give it a try, u may end up loving it.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
The Box - I regret watching this late at night yesterday. I should have popped in The Collector instead. I thought it would be a good horror flick, but it was a rather slow and lousy movie. I suppose people who like to explore deep into movies whose end leaves you open to interpret, would like this movie. Else for casual movie watchers, stay off.

The Collector - Now this is my kinda movie. I watched it this afternoon and cursed myself for not watching it last night in a proper ambience. It was better than I expected. For gore and torture fans, this film is a treat. Splendid traps and good presentation. Don't miss it.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The Informant! 7/10

A very different tale of corporate con (or this is how its done).

Watch Matt Damon totally new avatar!. Boy, he did a very good job in the first 70% of the movie then it seemed he's in the character of Bourne again. Suddenly his character no longer matching with its age, walks faster, talks faster, behavior changes.
Then at climax, he restores it again. Watch half bald Matt Damon to believe it.

The movie starts slow, and if u r not too willing, it may just bore u for the first 40 mins.
Then it starts opening up. And the last half an hour is marvelous. He sure had a twisted brain and greed (and didn't know about long arm of law ;-) )

Watch for Matt Damon and Matt Damon only, liked the work of his wife (Ginger).
A bit slow but climax makes up for it.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Law Abiding Citizen 7/10

It seems to be Death Sentence+SAW+Die Hard3 (and many, many other thrillers)
Lets not discus about which part of this movie is similar to which other movie, lets take it on its face value, i.e. its the most original idea.

~~~~~~~~~~ Contains Spoiler - Highlight to read ~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few goons storms into our hero's home and kills his wife (remember Ghajini?) and daughter. Though one of the attackers got death penalty, another got away by pleading guilty. Hero doesn't like it, and decides to take revenge. After 10 yrs, he manages to kill the other person, gets caught (why in nude, I could not get), later proves a point on how imperfect and fragile the law is.
Till this part the movie is commendable and thoughtful.
And from this part the decline starts, he somehow gets addicted with killing people. The criminal lawyer of the convict, the judge (as same as Dark Knight), even a whole law farm. The kind of sympathy the character was able to generate, starts fading (for me at least). The rest is insane and climax is sh1t.
If from the beginning of the movie he was shown as a psycho killer, I would not have hated so much. I hated it only because it had spoiled my fun.
Why I still rate it? Good points raised, good death scenes, cliche but good traps.

~~~~~~~~~~~ End of Spoiler ~~~~~~~~~~~

Top Bottom