Moto g3 for battery life?

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello guys

I need a mobile phone with best battery life in low budget segment. I need atleast 1.5 days with moderate use. I read many reviews of moto g3 and even Gsmarena states that battery life is phenomenal. So
What do you guys tell?

1. Budget?
A: 15k

2. Display type and size?
A: Any type, about 4.5" to 5"

3. Dual sim?
A: Yes ,maybe.

4. Preferred choice of brand?
A: Any

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
A: Back camera with AF

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).
A: Android, WP

7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).
A: The more future proof, the better.

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
A: calling, casual gaming, WhatsApp and Internet.

I want a future proof mobile with consistency in performance. I don't particularly like Xiaomi and other Chinese brands because they lack consistency even though their specs are great.

So what do you guys suggest?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
For battery life, nothing will beat the Lumia 730, 640 and 535
even for camera 730 is the best in that range

G3 is ok at best in terms of display,camera and battery life, 730 beats it in nearly every way except ram (doesnt matter because WP runs wayy better than android) and the water resistant casing

Going by my own personal experience of the 720 whose successor is the 730, my 720 lasts 1.5 - 2 days of extreme usage and whatever issues I have with the 720 are all fixed in the 730 like ram etc so I guess 730 will be a better option than G3
another good phone is the 640XL but its larger display may not be for everyone

H2O

Journeyman
I just bought Moto G3. Received it yesterday.

I know the time sample isn't a lot but my initial impressions till now is that, I am very impressed with it. The battery life has been quite good and the build quality is ace as well. Like you, I needed phone for basic usage like calling, browsing the internet, whatsapp, listening to music etc and probably play a few games here and there. Ideally, a Lumia would have covered those as well and probably the best at providing the basic features. But, I had been using a Lumia 520 before this for almost two years and was very satisfied with it as well. However, wanted to get an Android phone to experience it. So, went for Moto G3. I guess simply put, if you don't care about apps and new games a lot, go for Lumia but if you're into apps and all, go for Moto G3.

However, if you haven't used a Windows Phone before, I would suggest you to try out the Windows Phone of some friend or at the Microsoft Store in your city before buying Lumia just to get a feel of how it works. Thats what I did as well because some people simply don't like the Windows Phone experience.

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
For battery life, nothing will beat the Lumia 730, 640 and 535
even for camera 730 is the best in that range

G3 is ok at best in terms of display,camera and battery life, 730 beats it in nearly every way except ram (doesnt matter because WP runs wayy better than android) and the water resistant casing

Going by my own personal experience of the 720 whose successor is the 730, my 720 lasts 1.5 - 2 days of extreme usage and whatever issues I have with the 720 are all fixed in the 730 like ram etc so I guess 730 will be a better option than G3
another good phone is the 640XL but its larger display may not be for everyone
I thought of buying lumia 640. But by judging the review of each one from gsmarena, I can tell that g3 and 640 have the same amount of endurance time.

I am a power user and I use tablet for satisfying my needs. However, this time, I need mobile for basic use but I might root it and do tinkering stuff later on.

Hence I am sticking with android.

Lumia 730 is out of my budget and Iam very skeptical about Windows phones and their apps.

Thanks for replying

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
I just bought Moto G3. Received it yesterday.

I know the time sample isn't a lot but my initial impressions till now is that, I am very impressed with it. The battery life has been quite good and the build quality is ace as well. Like you, I needed phone for basic usage like calling, browsing the internet, whatsapp, listening to music etc and probably play a few games here and there. Ideally, a Lumia would have covered those as well and probably the best at providing the basic features. But, I had been using a Lumia 520 before this for almost two years and was very satisfied with it as well. However, wanted to get an Android phone to experience it. So, went for Moto G3. I guess simply put, if you don't care about apps and new games a lot, go for Lumia but if you're into apps and all, go for Moto G3.

However, if you haven't used a Windows Phone before, I would suggest you to try out the Windows Phone of some friend or at the Microsoft Store in your city before buying Lumia just to get a feel of how it works. Thats what I did as well because some people simply don't like the Windows Phone experience.
Can you tell me how much time did you get for one charge? That is for basic usage? And how many apps did you install?

I know this question is little absurd as you have only got initial impressions. However, can you let me know the battery experience In detail?

H2O

Journeyman
Can you tell me how much time did you get for one charge? That is for basic usage? And how many apps did you install?

I know this question is little absurd as you have only got initial impressions. However, can you let me know the battery experience In detail?

Check your PM.

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
dont worry about that !! :)
Windows 10 Mobile Gets an Unofficial Google Play Store and Other Google Apps - Neurogadget.com
Wouldn't that apps be not well optimized? Even blackberry can let us sideload apps but the problem is that they are not well optimized or they don't work well.

I fear this will be the same with Windows because native apps are the best.

Except in the camera department, 730 is well inferior to moto g3. Right?

Minion

Conversation Architect
I am a power user and I use tablet for satisfying my needs. However, this time, I need mobile for basic use but I might root it and do tinkering stuff later on.

If you want to install custom rom I suggest get moto G3.Moto G series phones have very good developer support Else get redmi mi4i.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Wouldn't that apps be not well optimized? Even blackberry can let us sideload apps but the problem is that they are not well optimized or they don't work well.
Right?

No thats not true
Android apps run fine on BB10
I own a Z10 too
optimisation isnt an issue at all because it has an android runtime as does Windows 10 Mobile
The issue was Google Play but now thats resolved in BB10 and soon WP too

Also the Candy Crush app in WP store is actually an ios app not native,runs fine
it was ported within 5 mins from ios and runs exactly like a native WP app...
this was done wayy before the Project Astoria announcement to take everyone by shock when they came to know the truth

- - - Updated - - -

Except in the camera department, 730 is well inferior to moto g3. Right?

Not really
other than ram and water resistance , theres nothing "inferior" about 730

Look at the displays itself too, 730 has amoled,best amoled ive seen in that range
produces natural colours and blacks too , something I find samsung amoled phones to lack in that range

- - - Updated - - -

If you still want android G3 is a no brainer

WP is an intermediate between Android & iOS

Its a bit restricted like iOS, still some freedom is there....

But some people won't like it. Do use a WP before buying one because like MIUI(android), you can't put a launcher to get a different feel

There are people who will support WP & iOS, no matter what, but everyone has their right to choose...
I personally will never use nor recommend Apple & WP devices to anyone. But I think WP has the potential to overtake iOS

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Not really
other than ram and water resistance , theres nothing "inferior" about 730

Look at the displays itself too, 730 has amoled,best amoled ive seen in that range
produces natural colours and blacks too , something I find samsung amoled phones to lack in that range

Lumia 730 supports 1.2 snapdragon 400 whereas moto g3 supports 64bit snapdragon 410 clocked at 1.4ghz. Specs don't matter that much but g3 gains a point here.

According to gsmarena, lumia 730 has endurance rating of 59h whereas moto g3 has 76h. I think these numbers atleast show a little difference in real life.

Moto g3 is well built and handles well when compared to and I think it arguably has better oem support.

Don't amoled displays produce saturated colours? And they generally tend to look better due to their saturation?

AFAIK, IPS lcd displays generate accurate colors whereas amoled produce darker blacks.

Regarding android sideload in Windows, converting android apps to Windows can't be done by the normal consumer. The developer needs to do it and so the consumers should have to wait for the app to be available in order to use. We can't just install apk as far as I know.

However, time will tell how exactly android sideloading will pan out for Microsoft.

Iam not against lumia mobile but just comparing the both mobiles.

Last edited:

$hadow

Geek in making
Why the heck MS hasn't yet showed us any SD 600 based phone. 400 series is still a lower end mid ranger processor.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Why the heck MS hasn't yet showed us any SD 600 based phone. 400 series is still a lower end mid ranger processor.

because SD6xx overheats
same with the 64bit chips

also WP doesnt need high end specs, same with BB10 and iOS
Only android needs high end specs to run actually

- - - Updated - - -

Lumia 730 supports 1.2 snapdragon 400 whereas moto g3 supports 64bit snapdragon 410 clocked at 1.4ghz. Specs don't matter that much but g3 gains a point here.

According to gsmarena, lumia 730 has endurance rating of 59h whereas moto g3 has 76h. I think these numbers atleast show a little difference in real life.

Moto g3 is well built and handles well when compared to and I think it arguably has better oem support.

Don't amoled displays produce saturated colours? And they generally tend to look better due to their saturation?

AFAIK, IPS lcd displays generate accurate colors whereas amoled produce darker blacks.

Regarding android sideload in Windows, converting android apps to Windows can't be done by the normal consumer. The developer needs to do it and so the consumers should have to wait for the app to be available in order to use. We can't just install apk as far as I know.

However, time will tell how exactly android sideloading will pan out for Microsoft.

Iam not against lumia mobile but just comparing the both mobiles.

Android requires high end specs to function
WP is light hence the spec difference is cancelled out
Also OEM support is wayy better with Microsoft than Moto
Nokia/MS still holds #1 in that aspect
amoleds usually display saturated colours but Microsoft/nokia did a great job with the 730's display
it doesnt feel unnatural unlike Samsung amoleds and displays natural colours
also sideloading apks can be done by anyone, not just devs, its a proper tool
I tried sideloading Snapchat on my 820 and it worked well
couldnt login due to lack of play services but that will change soon thanks to the recent Play Store hack

Also Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 play extremely well with each other,it works in perfect sync

I know you arent against WP :)
Its just not many people have actually used the platform and it gets alot of unnecessary hate
Its good to weigh pros and cons before spending money on anything

$hadow

Geek in making
But still man they have to live in the specs race. If they launched l830 successor with sd 410 many potential buyers will surely move away. [MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION]

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
But still man they have to live in the specs race. If they launched l830 successor with sd 410 many potential buyers will surely move away. [MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION]

maybe but only android created this specs race and is dying in it
No other os has issues with other hardware
even the most bottlenecked Lumia (hardware-wise) , the 1020 will still beats the socks off most androids

Top Bottom