MOTO G Mini-Review with camera sample and comparison

Ill keep it AS BRIEF as possible.
Review from around 2 days use.
Pros
1) Great screen, really really good, no kidding seriously its even better than Xperia ZR
2) Price, which probably account to 75% of the weight age to of your decision making
3) KitKat 4.4 though i'm not that impressed as of now.
4) Price, cuz you simple cant mention it once
5) Nailed majority of camera shots and performs better than what most people say.

Cons
1) The limited 11Gb something storage with no scope for future expansion. Guess all my Dota video collection (above 300MB each) will have to stay in my Xperia M
2) I still prefer my Xperia UI and the mini Apps thingie and proprietary goodies like the awesome Walkman Player
3) Bare bones stock camera features (but i use Camera 360 so not a big issue)
4) Lags a bit when u switch between camera and other apps (didnt expect it from this phone though its not as laggy as Xperia M)

I was never fond of Stock Android UI since the Micromax days. Sure its "speedy and snappy" blah blah but every Android lags, stock or not, it all depends on your Mood and Mindset to notice it and be bothered by it...and personally I've had crappy experience on both Stock and Non-Stock UI...they are both good and bad on an equal level.

U cant organize your App drawer (even Series40 dumb phones allowed that), u can use folders but why omit a feature 10 year old phones had? U need an additional tap to see your Toggle buttons in the notification bar...And the amount of Google bloatware..Play this Play that..do you guys ever use Play Games??? Now that most manufacturers are reducing the bloatwares on their phones, Google is like-Ok, we need to fill up their app drawer lets give them our own version of Bloatwares!!

There is a dedicated app for Google+ and another dedicated app for Google+ settings. (i need sm1 to explain me this)...The Gallery and Music App is just...so ordinary like circa 2010 generation....a 3 year old HTC/Sony/LG/SAMSUNG does it better(but with more LAG heheh)
The camera, trying to be all barebones, is irritating to use. There is a reason camera shutter buttons are placed closed to the right thumb, someone tell Google a thing or two about "software ergonomics". A visual slider to measure the exposure levels would also have been welcome. Google, plz dont try hard to be "plain-and-simple" like Apple. If you wanna APE camera UI, go check out the Lumias and copy them instead. However, camera performed better than expected. I hope the modding community can provide a way to get the older Jellybean camera interface.

In terms of usability, it just feels like a smaller Micromax Turbo. Still doesn't beat Xperia phones with Android 4.1 which still offers a lot more out of the package. I guess ill have to use some nice Launcher on my Moto G which offers more customization.

Maybe i'm spoiled by features, and my expectations from a Rs14,000 phone was too high. Anyways, i get a gorgeous screen and a upgraded SoC. The phone feels great to touch and hold. Most of the my gripes are from the plain and featureless Kitkat rather than the phone.

I've been rather critical about the phone. But that's me, i criticize and highlight the negatives on every phone i've owned in this forum. Why? because 90% user reviews i read on the internet are shrouded by biased opinions. IF You spent a fortune on a gadget, you wouldn't want to say bad things about it right? Human nature 101.

Currently using 3 SIMs (2 on MotoG and 1 on Xperia M). Battery has yet to go down since i am continuously plugging it in every 2-3 hours so cant comment on it yet.
The following are some camera samples, comparing to Xperia M which has a sub par camera.
All pictures in (4:3) 5 mpx mode, no HDR this and that, jst stock normal mode on stock camera App

My overweight Doge' (much eat very tired)
MOTO G
*i57.tinypic.com/24ayele.jpg

Xperia M
*i59.tinypic.com/2z8xoxg.jpg

Outside, 10AM morning
Moto G
*i61.tinypic.com/2eelxj7.jpg

Xperia M
*i58.tinypic.com/qp2qz7.jpg

Indoor Artificial Light
Moto G
*i60.tinypic.com/zioyt1.jpg

Xperia M
*i59.tinypic.com/29m7oy9.jpg

blackpearl

The Devil
About the pictures, the first one (your dog) turned out poor and yellowish in Xperia M. But the second one (cityscape) came out with bright colors while Moto G one was dull. Any thoughts on this one? Did lighting changed between shots?

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
no, i shot them with 2-3 sec time gap. Probably my Xperia M messed up in that shot. I should have reviewed the photo before uploading :p

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
About the pictures, the first one (your dog) turned out poor and yellowish in Xperia M. But the second one (cityscape) came out with bright colors while Moto G one was dull. Any thoughts on this one? Did lighting changed between shots?

Xperia M landscape image is over saturated. So Moto G is clear winner and i am not saying Moto G images are excellent, but at least not over saturated like Samsung and Sony.

Xperia M landscape image is over saturated. So Moto G is clear winner and i am not saying Moto G images are excellent, but at least not over saturated like Samsung and Sony.

It looks better for most people..........i.e over saturation is a good thing & many people love it. Still its a personal choice

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Crispy and short; nicely written buddy. :thumbs:

X:M has clear issue of yellow tint.

PS: Your dog is really cute, please post more pics of him/her. I too have a similar one :)

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
Here are two pictures i took of Mr.FattyLazee . In our living room, at 7 pm, with light coming from Tv and 2 low power tubelight.

Moto G
*i58.tinypic.com/20tl4y1.jpg
I am very impressed, seriously. Despite the Xperia M's screen set at max brightness, it doesnt blow out or glow like the way the Moto G glowed in Xperia's M's snapped picture (sorry this sentence is really complicated). There is really low level of graininess and if someone said this picture was taken in a brightly lit room during daytime, i would believe it.

Xperia M
*i57.tinypic.com/jrpq8g.jpg
Trust me guys, i took like 10 pictures to get a decent quality picture worth posting. This phone has serious issues with bright light in a low lit background, and the dreaded yellowness creeps in low lit photos too. Xperia SP and L had problems with over saturated Reds and Greens, this Xperia M has problems with yellow tinge.

Both are set at default settings, although i feel Moto G did a bit of ISO manipulation behind the scene.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Wow i really liked the outdoor pics awesome location.
Imo moto g has crisp and sharper image indoor with less lighting but xperia m has better quality and colour for outdoors/with more light ,so i guess its clear.

Top Bottom