Motherboard for AMD Phenom ii x4 960t

elbin.p

Broken In
What is a good motherboard for Phenom ii x4 960t. Something not too expensive, but is a good match for this processor. My other specs are ATI Radeon 6770 graphics card, 4GB DDR3, IDE hard disk, FSP Saga II 500 Watts power supply.

I currently have this board MSI Global ? Motherboard - NF725GM-P31. What would I be gaining in real world performance if I upgrade the motherboard?

It would be helpful if you can suggest a board with IDE connector, so that I can keep the hard disk for now and upgrade it later.

TIA.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Please mention the budget 1st. Your current Motherboard is an entry level Motherboard and tweaks like CPU overclocking, Ram overclocking are not recommended here.

If you want quality component then Asus M5A97 R2.0 @ 6.2K is the best choice. It is an AM3+ Motherboard and support all the new FX series Processors (Based on Bulldozer and Piledriver architecture) and the upcoming SteamRoller CPU.

OP
E

elbin.p

Broken In
Let's keep the budget at 5k max. I will never be upgrading the processor or doing any over clocking.

The existing motherboard has a max HT speed of 2000MT/s, while the processor supports a max HT speed of 4000MT/s. Will I not be noticing any performance gains if I upgrade the motherboard?

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Everything You Need to Know About the HyperTransport Bus | Hardware Secrets
considering you have xternal GFX.. You may see a performance bost ;-)

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
my setup is almost identical to yours except that i have phenom 2 x6 1090t and sata hdd

get this one, it perfectly fits your needs
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 4.1)

4+1 phase vrm so it will keep the cpu cooler and stable
vrm heatsink will keep motherboard cool
usb3.0, ht 4400mt/s, ide port, sata port, 4 ddr3 ram slot

south bridge and pcie are connected to cpu via ht bus
so pcie v2.0 will need atleast 4000mt/s ht bus to perform at full pciev2.0 speed
so it means that your hd6770 will not be bottlenecked by ht bus

Cilus

laborare est orare
If the budget is 5K then get Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 @ 5.1K from *smcinternational.in/index.php?route=product/product&path=108_119_133&product_id=292

Cilus

laborare est orare
Does OP needs an IDE port?
And regarding Heatsink, it is still better than Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard based on age old AMD 760G Chipset, originally designed for AM2+ processors. It does have better build quality

Cilus

laborare est orare
Yes, I would like to have an IDE port. To keep the current harddisk I have.

Buddy, since you are getting a 6 Core AM3+ Processor, it is always advised to get a Motherboard with a true AM3+ chipset like 970, 990X and 990FX, especially when you have the budget for it. Getting a cheap and old chipset based Motherboard for FX-6300 isn't a good choice. Get the Motherboard I have suggested and get a SATA to IDE converter Card. They are very cheap now a days. You can get one from ebay at as less as 250 bucks. Use this converter card to connect the IDE HDD of yours to SATA port.
Check here: 2 in 1 IDE to SATA / SATA to IDE Converter Card Adapter | eBay

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
What is a good motherboard for Phenom ii x4 960t. Something not too expensive, but is a good match for this processor. My other specs are ATI Radeon 6770 graphics card, 4GB DDR3, IDE hard disk, FSP Saga II 500 Watts power supply.

I currently have this board MSI Global ? Motherboard - NF725GM-P31. What would I be gaining in real world performance if I upgrade the motherboard?

It would be helpful if you can suggest a board with IDE connector, so that I can keep the hard disk for now and upgrade it later.

TIA.

if you want a new board to get more performance out of your system then a new board will not provide any noticeable performance boost

though you can overclock your cpu to 4ghz with a new board and that will give a good performance boost and it will need a cpu heatsink

so if you want to overclock then you can get new board otherwise keep current board or get a ssd like 90GB kingston ssdnow v200+ for under 5k

OP
E

elbin.p

Broken In
Buddy, since you are getting a 6 Core AM3+ Processor, it is always advised to get a Motherboard with a true AM3+ chipset like 970, 990X and 990FX, especially when you have the budget for it. Getting a cheap and old chipset based Motherboard for FX-6300 isn't a good choice. Get the Motherboard I have suggested and get a SATA to IDE converter Card. They are very cheap now a days. You can get one from ebay at as less as 250 bucks. Use this converter card to connect the IDE HDD of yours to SATA port.
Check here: 2 in 1 IDE to SATA / SATA to IDE Converter Card Adapter | eBay

I think you mistook my thread for some else's'. I have a Phenom II x4.

Also the main reason I would like to upgrade is I thought my current motherboard is not actually the correct one for this processor or the graphics card since the HT speeds don't match.

Would you agree with truegenius that I wouldn't be getting any performance gain (without over clocking) if I upgrade the motherboard? Then I will skip upgrading the motherboard.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Your current Motherboard chipset is based on NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 & nForce 630a which was developed for mainly AM2 and AM2+ Processors and support AM3 processors through BIOS update. You are right about HT bus running at lower speed as all true AM3 and AM3+ chipset support higher HT speed. So there will be a marginal performance improvement if you are not overclocking.

Top Bottom