Moser Baer Nursing Big Ambitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Moser Baer has trained sights on the 'nascent' home video market.

First, the company went and acquired over 800 Hindi, and over 100 Gujarati titles from Ultra Video. Now, it is mulling cheap VCD- and DVD- players, priced at around Rs 1,000 and Rs 1,500 respectively.

Moser Baer believes the possibilities would be endless. After all, current prices of VCD- and DVD- players are nothing short of Rs 3,000 and Rs 5,000 per player, respectively.

Add to that Moser Baer's existing price scheme for VCDs and DVDs -- selling for Rs 28 and Rs 38 each, respectively.

The company said it is in talks with major VCD- and DVD- manufacturers, including Philips, LG, Samsung, and Mirc, to jointly launch the low-end VCD- and DVD- players.

Statistically speaking, India has over 26-million DVD/VCD users, yet home video accounts for a measly 7 percent of total film revenues (standing at a whopping Rs 7,900 crores). It's this 'nascent' market that Moser Baer seeks to tap with all it's recent announcements.

Likely, the company will set-up its own branded outlets or tie-up with large format retail stores for distribution purposes. And it's the small, mofussil towns that it is banking upon to drive increase in home video sales.

Meanwhile, among the newly acquired Hindi titles are films yet to be released including: Vikram Bhatt's 'Life Mein Kabhi Kabhi', Quartet Film's 'Ek Chalis Ki Train', and Anil Sharma's 'Apne'. Moser Baer intends to make these films available on VCDs and DVDs within a month from their date of release.

Source

Nav11aug

In the zone
Moser Baer is really clever , if it can counter piracy , this is sure to be a great success... 28/- per VCD and 38/- per DVD is still unattractive ...mayb i'm being unfair but thz the fact . People woud just buy a DVD <15 bucks and pirate

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
^those prices are really great. and plus with that u r also assured lifetime quality unlike pirated disk that give up on you many times

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Not just piracy but even the Video Libraries. As of now, they charge anywhere from Rs 30 to Rs 50 for a VCD and around Rs 80 for DVDs. With these cheap rates, you would actually prefer buying the movie discs instead of renting them!

gulgulumaal

Broken In
Nav11aug said:
Moser Baer is really clever , if it can counter piracy , this is sure to be a great success... 28/- per VCD and 38/- per DVD is still unattractive ...mayb i'm being unfair but thz the fact . People woud just buy a DVD <15 bucks and pirate

I think you are really being unfair :)

Most of the people I know would happily buy a DVD they like for Rs 38 (especially since it is original and legal and has a feel good factor associated with it), instead of saving Rs 20 and buying an illegal copy (of uncertain qualiy). I certainly would :)

I consider it a really great move that could kill piracy. Of course people who want to pirate it will still pirate it, no matter what price the DVD is offered.

But for a vast majority of people, who are not willing to spend Rs 300+ of hard earned money for a DVD, they can easily afford the Rs 38 DVD.

Nav11aug

In the zone
gulgulumaal said:
Most of the people I know would happily buy a DVD they like for Rs 38 (especially since it is original and legal and has a feel good factor associated with it), instead of saving Rs 20 and buying an illegal copy (of uncertain qualiy). I certainly would :)

as a young and honest guy i wud liek to agree wid you but we the 'feel good' factor doesnt wrk at all ... absolutely no way

desai_amogh

In the zone
alsiladka said:
they charge anywhere from Rs 30 to Rs 50 for a VCD and around Rs 80 for DVDs.

which age r u living it dude?? my cd guy charges me just 10 bucks for dvd .. & its been ages i took a cd from him ... but must be charging the same for cds as well...

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Same here...charges 10-20Rs only for VCD/DVD Rent. Hey I have 1 DVD with 3 movies still...he forgot to take it back from me. :D

ArZuNeOs

In the zone
thats all right .....with movies released on DVD

Mb has collection of Old movies

But the quality of the movies released by Mb is the Q

DVD quality from EROS & Yashraj group Vs Moser Baer quality

This is the question i wanna ask....my bro in UK when he came here brought his dvd of one tamil movie & i had the same movie of Mb....& quality was awesome in my bro's copy....bcause it was an overseas print......

My suggestion to Mb Increase the quality of the movie in the collection & package it without self adverts & some info As like the Original ones & release it & piracy would be gone just like that.....

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Moser Baer Ko bolo kuch jada to nahin ho gaya, par bura hi kya hai, sasti DVD ke liye sasta player!

And the main thing is MB ke rate girane se, shemaroo aur tseries ko bhi rate girane pad gaye! Sirf yashraj abhi bhi rate down nahi kar raha hai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom