Monitor Problem, Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unknown_user

Right off the assembly line
i have a 15" Philips monitor, recently i noticed that the monitor has gone blank with a horizontal line in the middle only appearing (of the desktop). The CPU is fine as the system was still playing winamp and other programs. i restarted the PC but the same thin horizontal line is only appearing in the middle of the screen when it is booting. Kindly help me out here.. and tell me wht i should do. has my computer monitor crashed? or can i still repaired it and use it? (its only 3 years old). My PC i m using W XP SP2, 80GB, 256 RAM, 1.6 GHz and i dont play high graphics game or have install other big programs..

Thanks in Advance!!!!

sms_solver

In the zone
I think a monitor has life of 5 years or so, as you have said your one is 3 years old, I think it could be repaired.

So go to the nearest monitor technician and get it serviced.

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
How is the brightness and cotrast of the monitor? ... If the monitor display has become dim or has low brightness..better change the picture tube....better consult the service man.

Biplav

In the zone
ok
i had the same problem a few days back.

There are 2 aluminium plates on the monitor mainboard.
one controls the horizontal ratio and the other does for the vertical.
now that u mention that there is only one horizontal line in the centre; so ur vertical ratio isnt correct.
wat i did was just press the aluminium plate back to the board hard . yes try it ; it does the work but only temporarily.
for permanent solution u need to do soldering.
call up some computer mechanic and on the max. he/she shud charge Rs 300.
:wink:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The vertical deflection circuit of your monitor has failed. This is that section of the electronic circuitry inside the monitor that spreads the electron beam from top to bottom. The horizontal deflection circuit spreads it from left to right (yours is still working).

The defect could be due to a dry solder or a loose connection, OR some parts may have failed. To see if it's a dry solder or a loose connection, slap the monitor with your hand (not too hard !) and see if the screen lights up again. If some part has failed, banging it won't make any difference.

This is a job for an electronics technician.

A cautionary note : Unless you're going to throw your monitor away, don't leave it on like this for a long time. All the energy that's meant to be spread over the whole screen is now concentrated in that thin bright line and can damage the phosphor, i.e., the chemical that coats the inside of the picture tube. It will burn a permanent black line in the centre that will remain there even if the monitor is repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom