devips

Broken In
Can a modem/router be used to set up wifi connection without any additional hardware?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
What do you mean by that? A router which is "ON" itself creates a wifi network if configured correctly.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Can a modem/router be used to set up wifi connection without any additional hardware?

Which modem/router you are referring to? A wired or wireless? DSL or ADSL? Can you be more specific please.

If your ISP is using DSL then a basic wireless router would do. If your ISP is providing services via ADSL then you need a Wireless router with ADSL modem.

OP
D

devips

Broken In
It's a Compex ADSL modem/router that I use for my BSNL broadband connection. Can I create a wi-fi network just by using the functionalities of the modem/router? (i.e. without buying an additional wireless router?)
To note, I have a netgear wireless adapter too. Can this be of any use?

techiemaharaj

--> Techie - Maharaj
As u mention that you have a ADSL modem / router(I assumen it is modem+router), it will be enough to create a wireless network without any issues.
As far as the Netgear Wireless Adapter is concerned, this device will enable wifi internet of any of your pc / laptop that doesnt have an inbuilt wifi adapter.

So,you can configure wifi using your modem and use ur wireless adapter to use the wifi net on any pc/laptop.

hope that helps.

OP
D

devips

Broken In
Thanks Techie. Can you explain how I can do that, or point me to a tutorial?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^It will have to be configured with specific ISP settings. Call your ISP for that.

OP
D

devips

Broken In
I asked the local bsnl guys. They are not sure how to do it. There has to be some tutorial somewhere which explains the mechanism. Can somebody help?

saswat23

Human Spambot
But BSNL guys have to configure the modem cum router for wireless connection. How can they deny?

OP
D

devips

Broken In
Saswat, they have not refused. They just don't know how to go about it.

@Whitestar - I have finally gone through the articles linked by you. It seems to me, from these articles at least, that one needs an additional wifi router to set up connectivity.
Have I missed something?

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
@OP
You have a wireless ADSL modem cum router or wired ADSL modem cum router? If it's the latter, then you need an additional wireless router.

Moreover all D-Link & Linksys routers these days are plug & play for most isp's. All you need to do is give the login credentials iirc.

OP
D

devips

Broken In
It's a wired adsl modem router. So probably I will need an additonal wifi router. I just thought, with the netgear wifi adapter that I already have, maybe it is possible to create a wireless network that my mobile and the laptop can connect to. Looks like it's no go.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
wireless router is very cheap now-a-days.this one in my opinion is a good option for tight budget:
TP LINK 150Mbps Wireless N Router | Router | Flipkart.com

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
It's a wired adsl modem router. So probably I will need an additonal wifi router. I just thought, with the netgear wifi adapter that I already have, maybe it is possible to create a wireless network that my mobile and the laptop can connect to. Looks like it's no go.

Try Connectify app.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
using connectify means person has to keep the pc/laptop on all the time for net access which is not suitable for long durations.it is only a temporary solution/stop gap measure.in the end a wireless router is the only permanent solution for such situations.