modem+router for dataone broadband

sarathsnair

Journeyman
is the linksys WRT54G is come with a modem+router ?
can it be used in a bsnl dataone connection ?
suggest me a good modem+router for my dataone broadband connection.. my budget is 2500Rs. i am from kerala

OP
sarathsnair

sarathsnair

Journeyman
i want to set up a home wireless network so that i can connect my PC wired and laptop wirelessly. then what should i do ? Just buy a single wireless router na ? then what is the use of a modem ?

Anish

Spectre
Let me make it clear now:
Modem: A device which is used for converting the data bits into a signal suitable for transmission over the telephone lines.
Router: A device which is used deliver the data to a particular node connected to the internet, whether its a printer, pc, or another router itself.

So, you need both of them, both embedded together, its commonly called as a router,
got it? for more information, google can be a handy help.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
This device doesn't have ADSL support, its just a wifi router with 4 RJ45 ports. If you have adsl connection then buy a modem or a router with adsl modem.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
This device doesn't have ADSL support, its just a wifi router with 4 RJ45 ports. If you have adsl connection then buy a modem or a router with adsl modem.
Yes Anish is wrong. You will need a separate modem with that WRT54G. WAG54G is same as WRT54G but with the modem built in.

Anish

Spectre
@Ricky: Thanks for pointing out dude... Thought most of the routers houses a modem..(like the one they give in bsnl for dataone plans) . Thanks again :smile: