Mobile within 10k

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
T

t3chg33k

Broken In
Since you have mentioned the modding capabilities of the E6, I was wondering whether it applies to the Z6 as well because it too runs on Linux and in fact has one of the fastest processors @628Mhz and costs near 8k I suppose. I guess it lacks a FM tuner, doesn't have such a good music player and a poor camera but then I don't intend to use my phone either as a camera or music player but would rather want it to be a fun gadget.
I guess on the Nokia side it would be the N73.
As for SE, I wouldn't want to go in for a Walkman phone since I am not interested in the music player and I didn't find the K660i that impressive.
Any suggestions on the Samsung/LG front?

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^ Haan, yaar....I mean slow comparatively to K790i......

i just cant understand why u guys keep comparing the speed of a smartphone with a normal phone?
the smartphone will always be slower than a normal phone (most cases).if u wanna compare the speed of K790i then compare it with any s40v3 Nokia fones.

Power UP

In the zone
I hav 87 apps installed on my n73 including a 60mb dictionary :shock: and its working awesome. No freeze or hangs yet.
Same here :D

The latest firmware has vastly improved speed. I am using it and as utsav said No freeze or hangs yet.
This is just a misconception created because of the older firmware.

Please try the newer firmware and then comment.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
if u wanna compare the speed of K790i then compare it with any s40v3 Nokia fones.

That won't happen because S40 phones are faster than SE phones. They start up much faster, switch off faster and are also lightning fast through the menu without any silly, time consuming sliding animations and transitions. Only Java in SE phones as faster.

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
i just cant understand why u guys keep comparing the speed of a smartphone with a normal phone?
the smartphone will always be slower than a normal phone (most cases).if u wanna compare the speed of K790i then compare it with any s40v3 Nokia fones.

That won't happen because S40 phones are faster than SE phones. They start up much faster, switch off faster and are also lightning fast through the menu without any silly, time consuming sliding animations and transitions. Only Java in SE phones as faster.

I want any SE khaitan boy to comment on that :p

OP
T

t3chg33k

Broken In
The Nokia 5700 at Rs.9999
Symbian OS v9.2, S60 rel. 3.1
TFT, 16M colors
ARM 11, 369 MHz CPU
3G
and I guess it includes all that one might want of a smartphone.
So a done deal?

Pathik

Google Bot
^ Not at all. My E50 is fast enough for multitasking 2-3 apps at a time. And the 5700/E51 are super fast with their 369mhz proccys. Just that the 5700 has slightly less RAM.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k

Start up faster??are you kidding me??have you used the W580 or W610 or any phone in tha trange.The starting may vary a second but both are equally fast.Shutting fdown is equally fast too.If you dunno, the sliding animations can be turned off.btw, just because S40 phones are crap and hang like hell, please dont use them to downgrade the SE phones.S40 phones dont have a good music player, are riddled with bugs, dont have a good camera, have a basic primitive Ui.Most of them have crap battery life(lead by 6300).The themes are pathetic, etc etc.The only s40 phone that deserves admiration is the 6500 slide.Other than that, all of them are crap.

saurabhpatel

Journeyman
Since you have mentioned the modding capabilities of the E6, I was wondering whether it applies to the Z6 as well because it too runs on Linux and in fact has one of the fastest processors @628Mhz and costs near 8k I suppose. I guess it lacks a FM tuner, doesn't have such a good music player and a poor camera but then I don't intend to use my phone either as a camera or music player but would rather want it to be a fun gadget.
I guess on the Nokia side it would be the N73.
As for SE, I wouldn't want to go in for a Walkman phone since I am not interested in the music player and I didn't find the K660i that impressive.
Any suggestions on the Samsung/LG front?

No need to shell out higher for music capabilities when you don't see urself using phones as PMP's.
I urge all the experts not to get into arguments over Nokia vs SE in every thread.
Search www.modmymoto.com for moddability of Z6. can start from here.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
I guess the threadstarter had decided on the Moto E6 and has my full support for it.Y the chaos then?? Linux is what E6 makes one of the best buys.if you are not a geek, e6 doesnt make sense tho.

OP
T

t3chg33k

Broken In
I had decided to go for the Nokia 5700 but it seems the production of this phone was stopped earlier this year and none of the shops I have visited have the phone in stock. I know that it might still be possible to get this phone but I can't fathom why Nokia would stop the production of a phone which has great reviews everywhere on the net and the only problems that the phone did have were with the software which has subsequently been solved through software updates. Any idea anyone?

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
I had decided to go for the Nokia 5700 but it seems the production of this phone was stopped earlier this year and none of the shops I have visited have the phone in stock. I know that it might still be possible to get this phone but I can't fathom why Nokia would stop the production of a phone which has great reviews everywhere on the net and the only problems that the phone did have were with the software which has subsequently been solved through software updates. Any idea anyone?

me too asked on many shops they said that it's production is stopped better go for N73

OP
T

t3chg33k

Broken In
Its not stopped afaik

It has certainly been discontinued quite a few months back and this too has been acknowledged by Nokia itself but of course they never gave any reason for the same.
I was reading a particular post on another forum wherein a user who had submitted his 5700 for replacement and was actually offered a 6300 in exchange since Nokia officials mentioned that they cannot offer a replacement for the same since it has been discontinued.
Sometimes I wonder why would Nokia stop the production of a great VFM product whereas they are still continuing production for older models.

I really don't wish to go for the N73 since it has the much slower ARM10 processor @229 Mhz and a 256k screen compared to the 5700's ARM11 @369Mhz and 2.2" QVGA screen. Anyway I am not interested in the 3.2MP camera of the N73 and the average or better music player and camera of the 5700 would do perfectly since I am neither a shutterbug nor an audiophile.

utsav

damn busy...
FYI n73 has arm 9 206mhz processor and its not slow. U wont be encoding divx video on ur mobile i suppose :p . The 369mhz processor of 5700 isnt that fast compared to 206 mhz of n73 in real scenario. Nokia aint that fool that they will sell a better phone for lower price. 5700 is little bit faster but dont get blown away by higher MHz count. Ram counts a lot when it comes to mobile phones. Also n73 has better battery life ,and u know the rest i suppose . U wont find any better symbian phone in this range.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Start up faster??are you kidding me??have you used the W580 or W610 or any phone in tha trange.The starting may vary a second but both are equally fast.Shutting fdown is equally fast too.If you dunno, the sliding animations can be turned off.btw, just because S40 phones are crap and hang like hell, please dont use them to downgrade the SE phones.S40 phones dont have a good music player, are riddled with bugs, dont have a good camera, have a basic primitive Ui.Most of them have crap battery life(lead by 6300).The themes are pathetic, etc etc.The only s40 phone that deserves admiration is the 6500 slide.Other than that, all of them are crap.

Eh? I was only comparing the UI speed? Where did stuff like battery life come in? And S40 phones are fast. For e.g. my sister's old Nokia 6060 started up in 5 seconds flat whereas my old W710i took 25 seconds. Also on switch off it took 3 seconds compared to 6 on my W710i. And my W710i had no option anywhere to turn off transitions.

OP
T

t3chg33k

Broken In
FYI n73 has arm 9 206mhz processor and its not slow. U wont be encoding divx video on ur mobile i suppose :p . The 369mhz processor of 5700 isnt that fast compared to 206 mhz of n73 in real scenario. Nokia aint that fool that they will sell a better phone for lower price. 5700 is little bit faster but dont get blown away by higher MHz count. Ram counts a lot when it comes to mobile phones. Also n73 has better battery life ,and u know the rest i suppose . U wont find any better symbian phone in this range.

Yup I do agree, but time and again I have come across forums where users have actually changed over from the N73 to the 5700, now it wouldn't have been the case had they not had a better experience with the 5700.
Actually I do feel that Nokia might have actually slipped on the marketing front with the 5700 because even last year the 5700 was released at something around 12.5k whereas the N73 was selling at 17-18k. I guess that may be one of the reasons that Nokia has discontinued the 5700 because it actually provided better VFM than the N73.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom