Mobile phone (30k)

rohanz

Journeyman
1. Budget? 30k
2. Display type and size? Any
3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip? Bar
4. Preferred choice of brand? None (ass should be good)
5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type). Touch
6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera. No preference
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc). Android
8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly. 3g and wifi
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)? Mails, internet.
11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? Oppo find 5, nexus 4, S3
12. Any other info that you want to share
The device is for my dad, he is going to use it to check mails and browse the Internet for the most part.
Oppo find 5 is a really good phone imo thinking of buying it. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know.

Empirial

Youngling
I'd strictly recommend a WP8 Phone only if your Dad won't be downloading tons of Apps. For basic tasks like Mails, Web Browsing WP8 is more then enough & the Battery Life will be better then Android Phones.

OP
rohanz

rohanz

Journeyman
It wouldn't be future proof, there are not many app for it. With android he'll have a good choice. Also why buy a windows 8 when you can get a good Android?

Even I thought so at first but it has just 1gb ram also the camera is below average.

I won't recommend Nexus 4 for your dad. Below 30k options are S3 & One X+. Better get Xperia ZL, you can find it for 31-32k. Check this
It has manufacturer warranty

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
^^ then go for LG optimus G but still nothing can beat Nexus 4 in it's price range & nothing means nothing !! :thumbs:

Last edited:
My bad in confused it with S3.
I am not considering zl as it is not a flag ship so the updates might stop aftet an year or so.

Sony is not good in providing updates....that's true. Samsung is best after Google. My S2(launched with 2.3) has 4.1 update & Samsung also promised 4.2 update(last for it). S3 will get the next update too.

If updates are concerned, get S3 or Nexus 4

OP
rohanz

rohanz

Journeyman
Sony is not good in providing updates....that's true. Samsung is best after Google. My S2(launched with 2.3) has 4.1 update & Samsung also promised 4.2 update(last for it). S3 will get the next update too.

If updates are concerned, get S3 or Nexus 4

Oppo has updates every 2 weeks. Also it is their flagship phone.

kapilove77

Padawan
Go for ZL i know sony is not good at faster updates but it provide stable updates than samsung atleast where samsung's updates are mostly buggy. If you worried about updates only then u can always go for root and there are plenty dev support for zl. Or you can go for nexus 4 if you want direct updates from google.

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
The only defect I saw in nexus 4 is it's camera..... BTW it's not that bad.. At 25k is best phone or zl .... Don't buy s3.. it's looks are s similar to grand..

The only defect I saw in nexus 4 is it's camera..... BTW it's not that bad.. At 25k is best phone or zl .... Don't buy s3.. it's looks are s similar to grand..

OP
rohanz

rohanz

Journeyman
Not considering nexus 4 because of the bad battery life, display and back glass.
Confused between oppo find 5 and xperia zl
Oppo has a better screen, better battery, better sound, better dev support(faux making kernell for stock ROM) and a good after sales support(updates).
Xperia has a better camera, brand value and a sd card slot.
I would root it and put a custom ROM (Which it doesn't have many)on ZL if I was buying it for me. It is for my dad so I would want it to be rock stable.
Note is just too big(also bad screen) and Optimus G, well is by LG. I have an Optimus 2X so I wouldn't recommend anyone getting a LG phone if you are not comfortable with flashing custom ROMs.
PS : *thedroideffect.com/goodbye-nexus-4-hello-oppo-find-5/

Last edited:

pratyush997

Inactive
It wouldn't be future proof, there are not many app for it. With android he'll have a good choice. Also why buy a windows 8 when you can get a good Android?
WP got almost all apps his dad may use and as it's his dad (i.e. no time to screw around with device). He may want a device to come with everything to be ready for his order (not in the case of N4 as it runs all stock) .
It's just our (Geek's) mentality that Android > WP / iOS . There are also folks live on earth who doesn't have time or don't want to spend time in customizing device.

Top Bottom