Mobile for dad

ithehappy

Human Spambot
More you stay here more nonsensical stuffs will mess in your head, usually.

Get the ZenFone 2 and save money. Or the Desire 826 if you are into HTC. Or get the S5, simple. If you get the first, always remember you bought an Orange, while you had the money to buy an Apple (the fruit, not the other ****), which is the last. The one in between falls nowhere exactly, but still worth a shot.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
@OP, you're asking for phone recommendation and not fruits right? Phones aren't like Pineapple, Lemon, etc.? :lol:
Though S5's Snapdragon version is worth 22k, it isn't available at that price. Anything is better than Crapwiz or MIUI. Just get the 4 GB ram version of Zenfone 2. Even the 2 GB ram version would do. :)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Touchwiz was never bad, according to me, just lags a bit........ After lollipop update, touchwiz is very smooth, no more lags

touchwiz has always been bad,slows down pretty bad
the only good things about touchwiz is that it looks better than stock android UI,has an option to disable the forced encryption in lollipop unlike stock android which doesnt let you stop it
still Touchwiz is not recommended and is certified lag within 2 weeks of use

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Asus Zenfone 2 4GB RAM & 64GB ROM -19,999.

Currently out of stock in Flipkart. Wait till restocked and buy it since it is the best smartphone till date.

*i.imgur.com/dXqlVk6.png

*i.imgur.com/MPI6h77.png

Source: gsmarena.com

krishnendu

Journeyman
Asus Zenfone 2 4GB RAM & 64GB ROM -19,999.

Currently out of stock in Flipkart. Wait till restocked and buy it since it is the best smartphone till date.

*i.imgur.com/dXqlVk6.png

*i.imgur.com/MPI6h77.png

Source: gsmarena.com

I'm too waiting for this :) Not sure about the camera though...

Last edited:
@OP, you're asking for phone recommendation and not fruits right? Phones aren't like Pineapple, Lemon, etc.? :lol:
Though S5's Snapdragon version is worth 22k, it isn't available at that price. Anything is better than Crapwiz or MIUI. Just get the 4 GB ram version of Zenfone 2. Even the 2 GB ram version would do. :)

There is something called brand value, so you can't expect big companies like Samsung, Sony, HTC to sell phones at price which Oneplus or Xiaomi will..... These companies have to maintain their large number of service centres, showrooms, ads too.... So they charge higher

You can easily find a samsung smartphone cafe in any city where you can check out their phones, but can you check out Oneplus or ASUS anywhere???
There is a big problem with Zenfone 2's design, power button is located at the top, which isn't a great idea considering a 5.5" device... These minute details matters to general public..... I would like to check a phone physically before buying, many people would, actually due to this reason many people don't buy phones online (same applies for laptops too)

Believe it or not among general public, they will prefer Samsung or other big company phone when spending above 20k.... People like my dad, your dad won't like to take risk in buying a phone from lesser known company

As far as S5 is concerned, no phone can match its display or camera quality in the 26k price point(Exynos version just lacks 4G, its performance is good enough, not like Exynos of Note 3, which was really crap compared to Snapdragon one)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm too waiting for this :) Not sure about the camera though...

You can't get best of everything, considering its price but still a great phone indeed

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Not expecting too much when I'm getting very good spec in 20k :) Decent photo capturing will do..

its snapper is pretty decent,atleast on paper
coming from someone who owns a nexus 5,Lumia 720 and 820 and a 1200D
i can safely bet its snapper is one of the better cameras in the android world
dont expect miracles like the Pureview,Zeiss or Exmor based camera phones but its no slouch at all

- - - Updated - - -

I've decided to go for android instead, please don't make me confused again mate:lol:

I will agree with shadow for this,Camera and Battery is much better and the UI might be easier for your dad to operate
But if he needs/is familiar with android or something,Zenfone 2 is a no brainer and is an awesome phone as well

krishnendu

Journeyman
I will agree with shadow for this,Camera and Battery is much better and the UI might be easier for your dad to operate
But if he needs/is familiar with android or something,Zenfone 2 is a no brainer and is an awesome phone as well

I'm not the OP, I'm not buying for my dad, It's for my own use. Nevertheless thanks for your info... ;)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I'm not the OP, I'm not buying for my dad, It's for my own use. Nevertheless thanks for your info... ;)

oh my bad,I thought you were the OP :)
either way,its purely on requirements,both options are great but are for different sets of people
theres no one phone to rule them all,though Zenfone 2 is close enough :p

ithehappy

Human Spambot
There is something called brand value, so you can't expect big companies like Samsung, Sony, HTC to sell phones at price which Oneplus or Xiaomi will..... These companies have to maintain their large number of service centres, showrooms, ads too.... So they charge higher
What's brand value? There is no such thing as brand value. A phone's price should remain same for six months, and if a phone is 10k after six months of its release then it should launch at that price.

How long does it take to know minimal Economics anyway? Oh wait, you gotta have at least 40 IQ, I suppose.

:lol:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

I don't have problem with them charging higher but I don't want to be ripped off and let these OEMs fill their bank accounts. Look at Moto, good OEM with better pricing than LG, samsung, htc or sony. Nobody asked them to produce more ads, they do it out of their own reasons and want the people to pay for their crap ads?

You can easily find a samsung smartphone cafe in any city where you can check out their phones, but can you check out Oneplus or ASUS anywhere???
There is a big problem with Zenfone 2's design, power button is located at the top, which isn't a great idea considering a 5.5" device... These minute details matters to general public..... I would like to check a phone physically before buying, many people would, actually due to this reason many people don't buy phones online (same applies for laptops too)

Though I can't find them locally, GSM Arena does the job well for me. If I like the phone on the PC screen, I'll like it on my hands.

Believe it or not among general public, they will prefer Samsung or other big company phone when spending above 20k.... People like my dad, your dad won't like to take risk in buying a phone from lesser known company

My dad wanted to buy an iphone 5 for simple tasks like calling, browsing, emails and whatsapp. I got him a Redmi 1s, flashed Paranoid Android on it and said to him "if you don't like the phone in 15 days of usage, we can just return it". It was a gamble which paid off. Now he can just copy paste any file from his laptop using ES File Explorer on WiFi, connect to the NAS HDD for music using the same, stream videos/pics from his phone to the TV while getting 1-1.5 days of easy battery life.

I know all this can be done using any standard android phone now a days. My point is don't buy overpriced phones.

Last edited:
What's brand value? There is no such thing as brand value. A phone's price should remain same for six months, and if a phone is 10k after six months of its release then it should launch at that price.

How long does it take to know minimal Economics anyway? Oh wait, you gotta have at least 40 IQ, I suppose.

:lol:

:-x

There is something called brand value...... Just get out of the internet & find out.........

Apple is considered to have best brand value(you can call it resale value too, i hate Apple though)
Xiaomi n all have low brand/resale value......

Many in general public still don't know about Xiaomi n Oneplus, so if you go to sell a galaxy E7 n Oneplus one, you will get more money for E7, because its Samsung...... People consider it a big name, so good, better phone.. (not everyone is a geek)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
:-x

There is something called brand value...... Just get out of the internet & find out.........

Apple is considered to have best brand value(you can call it resale value too, i hate Apple though)
Xiaomi n all have low brand/resale value......

Many in general public still don't know about Xiaomi n Oneplus, so if you go to sell a galaxy E7 n Oneplus one, you will get more money for E7, because its Samsung...... People consider it a big name, so good, better phone.. (not everyone is a geek)

you are kind of right about Apples resale value,my cousin managed to sell a beat-up iphone 5S for 15k 1-2 months ago
cant say the same for samsung,samsung resale is rather poor as they come up with "new" phones every 1-2 months or atleast variants(grand series and duos series were notorious for newer variants nearly every month)
Nokia/Microsoft has good resale as well,I sold my 6-month old broken 720 (black one,not my red one) in 2014 for 10k even though it was selling for 17k in the market despite the broken display and scratches etc

- - - Updated - - -

Brand value does matter but so does functionality,looks,after sales etc
Asus is a good brand for all this so far

- - - Updated - - -

My dad wanted to buy an iphone 5 for simple tasks like calling, browsing, emails and whatsapp. I got him a Redmi 1s, flashed Paranoid Android on it and said to him "if you don't like the phone in 15 days of usage, we can just return it". It was a gamble which paid off. Now he can just copy paste any file from his laptop using ES File Explorer on WiFi, connect to the NAS HDD for music using the same, stream videos/pics from his phone to the TV while getting 1-1.5 days of easy battery life.

I know all this can be done using any standard android phone now a days. My point is don't buy overpriced phones.

This!! this is exactly how it should be
Theres no "one phone for all" but choice to freely switch to one which suits you is what matters
These days I just see people buying samsung or iphones just because everyone else has them

I have 2 other friends who have complete samsung and apple ecosystems because they actually LIKE the product not because everyone else has them(a growing trend in both older people and teens these days)

I will say this though,generally ios,WP or even Touchwiz and more recently MIUI are really good for older people to adapt to(putting all other pros and cons aside)

I know for a fact that my grandad and dad both were very very unhappy with android on their Moto E and Nexus 5 respectively.Got them both a Lumia phone each(535 and 730),they both were very much happier with them (though my dad still has his nexus 5 for android specific apps-work related and as a backup phone)

Top Bottom