Mighty sandybridge enters server market

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Intel has launched its sandybridge microarchitecture based xeon processors. The top of the lines have 10 cores :shock: and with smt has 20 threads. Intel claims them to be more than 40% more powerful than its previous nehalem based flagship quadcore based xeons.

Intel boasts that a single Xeon processor E7-based server can replace a current 18 dual-core server.

Now if all of this is true and it indeed will be, then bulldozer has a lot to prove in the server market and really has to be something special to challenge intel in industrial and corporate markets.

Source

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's a mighty cpu indeed but I'm wondering about it power consumptions anyway.

BTW, Bulldozer is mainly targeting the desktop market as of now and might release some server cpu based on it later ( a dual hexa core cpu with quad hexa threads - anyone ? )

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Being 32nm, it will have lower power consumption than the previous gen nehalem based xeons. Sandybridge microarchitecture cpu's have lower power consumptions.

Intel cpu succeeding the netburst architecture always had low poer consumptions relative to its competitor.

Top Bottom