Measures For An External HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBThumbHealer

BlackBerry Guru ! :)
hey guys...

i wanna ask u wat measures shud be taken before purchasing an external hard drive....like wat shud be its features ...?

are they divided in classes too i.e like SATA , SATA II , IDE n PATA ? ..

which 1 shud i opt for ...n do they require any special PC config to run too ?

Last but not the least :eek:..Can we Partiton them ?? :confused:

Having a really poor knowledge abt External HDD's...

Reply Soon .... Its Urgent

Thnx..

BlackBerry7100g..

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Best will be Laptop Sata HDD, which are very small in Size and available in Size of even 160 GB :)

now if u want storage, then desktop based SATA-II Disks will be sized in 320 GB or more,

where as, A shop in chandi said to me that every kit they sold to fit with a HDD over 200 GB gave problem, according to them it may be wise to stay under 160 GB and use Laptop HDD, i am not sure about the statement as I never used such high end one, I run a Laptop disk as externel HDD :)

Please note, kits to make any Day HDD a externet HDD one are available starting from Rs. 450 :D even here at Kolkata some are sold in Just Rs. 220 :lol:

royal

Padawan
Choto Cheeta said:
where as, A shop in chandi said to me that every kit they sold to fit with a HDD over 200 GB gave problem, according to them it may be wise to stay under 160 GB and use Laptop HDD

That's plain b***sh*t man :x

I have been using a 400GB Seagate SATA disk with an external casing...absolutely no problem :cool:

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Here u go,

If u need a protable device then a Laptop SATA HDD is best, they very light and slim, available at size of 40 / 60 /80 / 100 / 120 / 160 GB :) (I use a 80 GB one :D)

If you need Stogare, then SATA-II based ones will be good for u, they are bulky but very big on storage :lol: U can get 500 GB i think :lol: (as royal said he is using a 400 GB one)

With them u need exteran USB kit to make those HDD protable thoese are available Starting from Rs. 400 to high one's, depending on ur local market,

You do not need any special config, though keep in mind u need to have a USB 2.0 to oparate those high volume storage :) if you are using a high volume partition then u have to have a OS which supports NTFS (as u know FAT32 can only gop up to 32GB at a time i think ??)

To partition the HDD simple plug in the USB cord :) after successful detection just right Click on My computer, them go to Disk Management where u can partition that Drive just like any other HDD :D

Refer here, *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=368711&postcount=2

Any thing else u would like to know ???? :D

royal

Padawan
Choto Cheeta said:
If u need a protable device then a Laptop SATA HDD is best, they very light and slim, available at size of 40 / 60 /80 / 100 / 120 / 160 GB :) (I use a 80 GB one :D)

Any idea how much 40/80 GB Laptop SATA HDD cost ? :confused:

OP
BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

choto cheeta :D ...u answered to all my queries... i m buying the Seagate 500 GB hard drive from tigerdirect.ca....

thnx to all who replied..

royal

Padawan
BlackBerry7100g said:
choto cheeta :D ...u answered to all my queries... i m buying the Seagate 500 GB hard drive from tigerdirect.ca

Do they ship to India ?:confused:

What about the cost ?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
why u will pay Rs. 8000 and then shipping charge + for a 500 GB one ?? where as I found Dealers at Kolkata are quoting Rs 8420 incl TAX for 500 GB (or was it 520 or 560 GB i forgot the exact :() :)

OP
BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

Choto Cheeta said:
why u will pay Rs. 8000 and then shipping charge + for a 500 GB one ?? where as I found Dealers at Kolkata are quoting Rs 8420 incl TAX for 500 GB (or was it 520 or 560 GB i forgot the exact :() :)

was the brand seagate ???

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
BlackBerry7100g said:
was the brand seagate ???

No, I think Western Digital :) or some thing like that, i forgot the exact Name...

aryayush said:
Does this hard disk you are talking about have FireWire 800?

No, Its a normal desktop HDD (SATA-II) which one may use as a portable USB one with the USB Kit... :)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Is the Externel Disk or u r buying a Normal HDD which u r planning to use as External one, then u would need a USK kit to make it external :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom