Man hypnotises himself before op

Status
Not open for further replies.

karnivore

in your face..
^^ Good question, but, there is a plausible explanation for that. Clinical hypnosis involves, primarily to focus on something other than the pain. Very much like a magicians trick. While you are focusing on his right hand, he is manipulating with his left. That focusing can work, for a limited period of time. But to make himself, not feel the pain, through out his life would need him to do the same amount of focusing, 24x7, through out his lifetime. That is virtually impossible.

mediator

Technomancer
You have actually corroborated the point i was trying to make. That we sometimes experience something and then, later on, go on to "learn" about it and it is a perfect process. If that process of learning is valid for you, it is, perhaps, valid for others, including those who hold an opposing view. We all, on some level, simply subscribe to ideas. If your believe in "spirituality" is only normal to you, perhaps my vote for "materialism" is same for me.
It seems u r diverting ur point of view to match mine. So, neways u have never experienced "spirituality", so how can u ever rebuke it? U have already been exposed a lot, but neways its good for u if ur thinking process is enhancing now!

The point is how does one know, what are those feelings, that constitute the "definition".
Again u r only strengthening my point, that its not always theory first and practical later! Are we coming to an agreement?

But is it the same for "feelings", particularly "spiritual" feelings, which are extremely subjective. If "feeling" is the touchstone, on the basis of which "spirituality" is defined (Please note that, this is what you are saying, not me), then why certain mundane physical activities, triggering the same feelings, can't be categorised as "spirituality". Thats what Denett illustrated in that quote, i had earlier mentioned.
Like I said it depends on ur roots. I am close to mine, so whatever is already there is in my blood like many others from birth. Its only ur independent outlook that differentiates and separates wrong from right. So yes it is same for spirituality if u r asking in general! Besides, I am not interested in ur plagiarized opinions whether they r correct or not, as they r simply "opinions". I hope u know what "opinion" means and how different it is from facts, researches, ground reality etc?? Even I can plagiarize "opinions" like that. But thats not me!

Yoga is a physical activity (the very act of standing, sitting or lying is physical activity, because, body can't be in any of those states if the muscles are not manipulated in certain ways), and hence the act of yoga is just as much "materialistic" as, for example orgasm (show some maturity here) or intake of psychedelic drugs (if you are too immature to consider the word orgasm). If both, being physical activities, can give the same feeling of "elevation of spirit beyond the self", in other words a "transcending experience", why can't both be "spiritual" activities. And that is my point.
Are u trying to make a joke of urself? Your ignorance is really getting entertaining now. :D
Yoga is much more than those "physical activities". It also about body and mind control, concentration, your breathing. Please show some mercy on urself!
*www.yoga.net.au/what_is_yoga

And I think ur mind doesn't work to ponder over what psychedelic drugs are! Wondering, I think ur brains doesn't work at all.

Since from the start u like giving "opinions" as ur backup base and using "wiki" to support ur definitions, so let me give on like u at ur level....may be for ur better understanding as now I can understand that giving researches and facts, ground reality can be of no use for u and may take additional toll on ur little hollow brains!

Psychedelic drugs are psychoactive drugs whose primary action is to alter the thought processes of the brain and perception of the mind. The term is derived from Greek ψυχή (psyche, "mind") and δηλείν (delein, "to manifest"), translating to "mind-manifesting." "The implication is that the psychedelic drugs can develop unused potentials of the human mind." [1] Psychedelic drugs are part of a wider class sometimes known as the hallucinogens, which also includes related substances such as dissociatives and deliriants. Unlike other psychoactive drugs such as stimulants and opioids, the psychedelics do not merely induce familiar states of mind but rather shift the locus of experiences so that they are qualitatively different from those of ordinary consciousness. The psychedelic experience is often compared to non-ordinary forms of consciousness such as trance, meditation, and dreams.

Many psychedelic drugs are thought to disable filters which keep signals unrelated to everyday functions from reaching the conscious mind.[citation needed] These signals are presumed to originate in several other functions of the brain, including but not limited to the senses, emotions, memories, and the unconscious (or subconscious) mind.[citation needed] This effect is sometimes referred to as mind expanding, or consciousness expanding, for the conscious mind becomes aware of things normally inaccessible to it.
"Blotter" LSD, a psychedelic drug
"Blotter" LSD, a psychedelic drug

A definition more clearly sets apart a classic or true psychedelic is offered by Lester Grinspoon: “a psychedelic drug is one which has small likelihood of causing physical addiction, craving, major physiological disturbances, delirium, disorientation, or amnesia, produces thought, mood, and perceptual changes otherwise rarely experienced except perhaps in dreams, contemplative and religious exaltation, flashes of vivid involuntary memory and acute psychoses”.[2]
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_drug

It seems u most probably don't even understand the difference between meditation and sleep, dreaming and pondering!

What do u mean by "elavation of spirit from self"? On one hand we have psychedelic drugs which cause "induced" hallucinations filled with side effects. Do u even understand the difference? Besides "transcendental meditation" is not the 'only' form of meditation that u r trying to compare!!

Dude, please stop it. I can't take ur ignorance now!

Oh, one more thing. Instead of telling me what to do or learn or wondering how lowly my intellect is or what percentage of brain i use, (which actually is strange because you claimed earlier i don't have one), why don't you enlighten us all by what you understand of "spiritualism", if possible, without recourse to any garbage site.
I thought u followed the leader of ur herd well enough to have understood the definition of "spiritualism". But heck, "u did it again"! Neways I am not a teacher to make u understand spirituality. But I can advise that for understanding it u need to have a broadminded outlook and open mind, open to ideas. But rather u have a mindset to rebuff anything that science can't explain or is still discussing about! :oops: And thats so "scientific" of you!!

Neways I don't understand why u induce terms like "bla bla bla", "garbage" to define the sites that I link which merely show researches and ground reality unlike urs which show "opinions" and "wiki" links. It seems this discussion has taken a huge toll on ur null intellect and brain filled with nuthing but meat as in every reply of yours u have shown remarkable set of terminology like "bla bla bla", "orgasm", linked homeopathy with "ignorance" etc and whateva a frustrated mind backed by constipated body can!! Congratulations, u have deviated a lot. :)

Finally coming back to the topic, the case is still an ongoing one and not "already explored". Learn the alphabet, improve ur vocablury and terminology, meditate a little, learn not to deviate and then comprehend what the article u linked by "Dr. Stevens" says! :)

karnivore

in your face..
It seems u r diverting ur point of view to match mine.
Please show me how i have diverted. You said i only follow and you don't. I just provided my arguments to prove we all follow, only some of us are too "naive" to realise that. So show me, just which part of my argument is incoherent.

Again u r only strengthening my point, that its not always theory first and practical later
You did not even read that para, let alone understand. Just scroll up and read it again and again and again and try to figure out what i said.

...so whatever is already there is in my blood like many others from birth.
And whats that. What exactly are you referring to. (I just want to clarify before making any assumptions)

...differentiates and separates wrong from right.
Again, right and wrong are subjective. What you may reject as wrong, may not be so to others, or, in the long run.

So, lets summarize. The concept of "spirituality" that you have is shaped by, subjective modification (right and wrong being subjective) of subjective assimilation of cultural roots (just 10 miles in any direction you go you will have a different culture system), complemented by subjective experiences. I guess, with so many "subjectives", the end result will be subjective as well. Please note this conclusion is on the basis of your remarks and not on the basis of any subjective "assumptions" or "opinions" of any expert.

Yoga is much more than those "physical activities". It also about body and mind control, concentration, your breathing.
Just because, somebody or some site claims it to be "more" than physical activity, it does not become so. If i start claiming, that i have magical dragon under my bed, it does not automatically become true. Or does it.

Now, since you have too much brain that spills through your nose and ears, lets discuss this point by point,

1. Even if i assume, that yoga is "much more than those physical activities", the starting point still remains physical.
2. If i consider your/ their definition of yoga to be true, it still means that yoga is a process of achieving "non-physical" ends through "physical" means.
3. Since, the only way one can realise if that "non-physical" end is achieved or not, is only through some sort of experience, again, it is the "experiences" or "feelings" that become the touchstone.
4. Now, it is virtually impossible to narrate those experiences or feelings in exact detail. So the understanding of the experiences or feelings would be highly subjective.
5. If those subjective "experiences" and "feelings", are the key, then any physical process, resulting in the same set of experiences and feelings is valid "spiritualism".

Instead of saying "no it is not", just logically prove why it is not.

It seems u most probably don't even understand the difference between meditation and sleep, dreaming and pondering
I think that wiki link actually proves what i am saying. If you read that in conjunction with the above argument, it will become clear why. If it isn't, then probably, too much brain is spilling out.

On one hand we have psychedelic drugs which cause "induced" hallucinations filled with side effects.
...and on the other hand ??

Besides "transcendental meditation" is not the 'only' form of meditation that u r trying to compare
Where ? Oho, i get it. Since i mentioned the word 'transcend', i must be talking about "transcendental meditation". so 2 + 2 = 5 (don't have a brain, so i hope i got that right)

I am not a teacher to make u understand spirituality
I did not ask you to define "spirituality" to learn it from you. Believe me, i have far better persons, sitting on the racks my home library, to learn from. I just wanted to see, how much of it you yourself understand. Since you don't hesitate to advise people what to do and learn, i thought may be we should also learn, how far you own learning goes.

..u have never experienced "spirituality", so how can u ever rebuke it?
Please share with us, what you have experienced. And lets see how good you are at bluffing.

mediator

Technomancer
Please show me how i have diverted. You said i only follow and you don't. I just provided my arguments to prove we all follow, only some of us are too "naive" to realise that. So show me, just which part of my argument is incoherent.
Kiddo, Do u understand what the topic is about? Read where the diversion started from. And yet u dragged homeopathy/spirituality which was a part of another debate? Grow up.

You did not even read that para, let alone understand. Just scroll up and read it again and again and again and try to figure out what i said.
Funny, a guy who can't even read the link he provides and makes absurd conclusions like "already explored" is telling that others don't read! :D

So, lets summarize. The concept of "spirituality" that you have is shaped by, subjective modification (right and wrong being subjective) of subjective assimilation of cultural roots (just 10 miles in any direction you go you will have a different culture system), complemented by subjective experiences. I guess, with so many "subjectives", the end result will be subjective as well. Please note this conclusion is on the basis of your remarks and not on the basis of any subjective "assumptions" or "opinions" of any expert.
Differentiating "Right from wrong" was linked to awakening of ur independent outlook. Do I need to explain every simple statement just for u? And here u r trying to know the definition of spirituality after rebuking it mindlessly.

Just because, somebody or some site claims it to be "more" than physical activity, it does not become so. If i start claiming, that i have magical dragon under my bed, it does not automatically become true. Or does it.
Are u high on mushrooms? Seems like u r miles behind reality. Thats what anybody can expect from an illiterate ill-informed about yoga!

Ofcors the "magical dragon" doesn't become true unless it is proven/shown. But guess what, we have almost half of america, majority of Europe and other nations practising Yoga and major percentage of it has made it their lifestyle.....a spiritual lifestyle and that includes a major percentage of scientists too! I hope u read the researches and links I gave just for ur enlghtenment! They r not "garbage", believe me, read em n then comment for the sake of making others believe that u still have a little percentage of wisdom still inside u!

A piece of friendly advise : If u really do not know what spirituality and yoga is, then please don't discuss. I am not 'forcing' u to discuss as this is not "ontopic" and I am not laughing either, but just being sympathetic and sad!

So lets discuss this in a much friendly tone, since I feel u really do not know anything over the topic at all.

present said:
1. Even if i assume, that yoga is "much more than those physical activities", the starting point still remains physical.
2. If i consider your/ their definition of yoga to be true, it still means that yoga is a process of achieving "non-physical" ends through "physical" means.
3. Since, the only way one can realise if that "non-physical" end is achieved or not, is only through some sort of experience, again, it is the "experiences" or "feelings" that become the touchstone.
4. Now, it is virtually impossible to narrate those experiences or feelings in exact detail. So the understanding of the experiences or feelings would be highly subjective.
5. If those subjective "experiences" and "feelings", are the key, then any physical process, resulting in the same set of experiences and feelings is valid "spiritualism".
earlier said:
Yoga is a physical activity (the very act of standing, sitting or lying is physical activity, because, body can't be in any of those states if the muscles are not manipulated in certain ways), and hence the act of yoga is just as much "materialistic" as, for example orgasm (show some maturity here) or intake of psychedelic drugs (if you are too immature to consider the word orgasm). If both, being physical activities, can give the same feeling of "elevation of spirit beyond the self", in other words a "transcending experience", why can't both be "spiritual" activities. And that is my point.
Read what u quoted earlier and read what u quoted now. It seems u r softening ur stand now! :)

1. Its mutual! Just like for a perfect lifestyle and body, u need to have a healthy mindset and for healthy mindset u also need to workout. From ur point, I can also say that the starting point can be also the very "thought" to initiate yoga.
2. Again the same. we can make ourselves lead to healthy and compassionate lifestyle i.e physical from a "non-physical" process!
3.4. Why is it impossible?
5. The answer rests with u! Ponder. U have every right to form ur own definition of "spiritualism", but atleast try to practise it first!!

Now again for psychedelic drugs......

A few aspects of Psychedelic drugs

* The drugs are known more for their abuse potential
* As a group, the drugs are often referred to as psychedelic (meaning mind-altering) or hallucinogenic because they cause people to have hallucinations; that is, to imagine they see and hear things.
* Street users call these experiences "trips," which can be extremely pleasant or highly unpleasant and frightening.
* The drugs can cause other adverse reactions, too. LSD, for example, can dilate pupils; increase body temperature, heart rate, blood pressure, and sweating; and cause loss of appetite, sleeplessness, dry mouth, and tremors. Also, many LSD users experience flashbacks, spontaneous recurrences of certain aspects of the person's "trip" (without the user having taken the drug again). Long-term LSD users may develop psychoses, such as schizophrenia and severe depression.
* Addiction
*www.fda.gov/FDAC/features/795_psyche.html

* Psychedelic drugs are not necessary for a spiritual path. I would say that they don't have much connection to the spiritual path, since in its true meaning "spirituality" also means understanding and controlling your body, nature so as to lead a "natural life" filled with intelligence, wisdom etc. But here we have psychedelic drugs which make u "see" and "hear" things, make u hallucinate filled with "side effects" and addictions!
*www.csp.org/chrestomathy/psychedelic_drugs.html

Read the Details on the drug abuse and its History....which may also lead to death!! A way of life? Can it be? Never!!

I think that wiki link actually proves what i am saying. If you read that in conjunction with the above argument, it will become clear why. If it isn't, then probably, too much brain is spilling out.
Even a child can infer the level of ur comprehension from ur very first post here proved by ur succeeding posts. So read again!

Please share with us, what you have experienced. And lets see how good you are at bluffing.
A healthy lifestyle, a world full of joy, broadminded and independent thinking approach which isn't based on the 'opinions' of others and which doesn't neglects anything just at random unlike urs, may be also to understand my body of what I shud eat and drink so as to minimize the dependence on medicines, understanding the nature, a feeling of compassion and peace that doesn't let go angry easily and knowing the surrounding around me and people I talk to. May be I can infer that in reality u are a good person who has had enough of religion becoz of their negative outcomings everyday and thus u fail to see the difference between propoganda based 'institution like religion', which aim to fulfill themselves, and religions which aim to fulfill others and bring joy, compassion, wisdom and healhty lifestyle in people and that u have a very distorted view of terms like "yoga", "spirituality" etc! May be u too are a spiritual person, but u yet do not know of it becoz as inferred so much from ur posts it seems u really do not know what spirituality is!! Its just a way to enhance ur will, patience, benevolence, concentration, to understand nature and body and mind control.

Try yoga, just for a month. Millions across the world be it US, Europe, INDIA etc aren't trying it for no reason. Majority of Scientists call themselves spiritual and science isn't bringing spirituality in for no reason!

Do read the links I post! :)

Last edited:

karnivore

in your face..
Sorry guys for the enormous post (not that anyone cares). But it was necessary.

To this...
mediator said:
You have actually corroborated the point i was trying to make. That we sometimes experience something and then, later on, go on to "learn" about it and it is a perfect process. If that process of learning is valid for you, it is, perhaps, valid for others, including those who hold an opposing view. We all, on some level, simply subscribe to ideas. If your believe in "spirituality" is only normal to you, perhaps my vote for "materialism" is same for me.
It seems u r diverting ur point of view to match mine
I replied..
karnivore said:
It seems u r diverting ur point of view to match mine
To which you replied...
mediator said:
Kiddo, Do u understand what the topic is about? Read where the diversion started from. And yet u dragged homeopathy/spirituality which was a part of another debate? Grow up.
See, who is incapable of understanding agruments. You, suddenly come up with the diversion of the topic, when i was, in fact, asking you to prove how i have diverted from my line of argument on the "following" and "leading" $hit, which you accused me of. I wanted you to show me the lack of coherence in my arguments. And see what answer you come up with.

And with diversion of thread, you are as much responsible as i am.

..makes absurd conclusions like "already explored"..
Since you are the only cry-baby, whining about this, i am guessing, i did alright. You have only yourself to blame for your misinterpretation. So, whine on.

Differentiating "Right from wrong" was linked to awakening of ur independent outlook
Now, you are either trying to be funny, or playing "naive". Let's take you back a little.
mediator said:
But is it the same for "feelings", particularly "spiritual" feelings, which are extremely subjective...
Like I said it depends on ur roots. I am close to mine, so whatever is already there is in my blood like many others from birth. Its only ur independent outlook that differentiates and separates wrong from right. So yes it is same for spirituality if u r asking in general!
You were replying to the question if "spiritual feelings" can be clearly defined like any physical activity, which can be so done, due to observable and determinable events. Your conclusion was "YES", since we grow with some cultural lineage (i asked u to clarify what you meant by "in blood" and since you did not bother, thats what i would assume) and our independent outlook helps us to "differentiate and separate wrong from right". To this i replied...
karnivore said:
So, lets summarize. The concept of "spirituality" that you have is shaped by, subjective modification (right and wrong being subjective) of subjective assimilation of cultural roots (just 10 miles in any direction you go you will have a different culture system), complemented by subjective experiences. I guess, with so many "subjectives", the end result will be subjective as well.
This was how i was giving a counter point to your answer "YES", to prove, that feelings can't be so clearly defined because of so much variables that are involved. Got the point? Still don't? You will, once you can stop the spilling of your brain.

Read what u quoted earlier and read what u quoted now. It seems u r softening ur stand now!
Although you have diligently copied the two of my arguments (both of which are,that since certain set of feelings, experienced by means of a physical process called yoga, is called "spirituality", the same set of feelings which can be experienced through some other physical process, can also be called "spirituality". In other words, "spirituality" is nothing but some feelings and how you define it.), you conveniently forgot to tell me why you thought, that i softened my stand. You don't have to agree to my arguments and you have every right not to. But the least i can expect of you is that, you will follow my arguments, before starting your diatribe.

Now about your point wise rebuttal:
1. There is no doubt, that work-out is necessary for a healthy body. But thats not the point. The point is, yoga is just another "work out routine", which has been given a spin of "spirituality", following our tradition of assigning sky-fairies to everything we could lay our hands on. Again the point is not if starting point is physical, the point is, that, the entire routine of yoga involves some "physical process" at some point or other, thereby making it just another physical process.

2. So you mean, unhealthy and uncompassionate lifestyle is non-physical? BTW, how is "lifestyle" a non-physical process. Even if i assume (don't get carried away, here) that life style is non-physical, why is yoga the necessary means. The same can be achieved through, say for example AEROBICS. If you say "NO", you have to explain why not.

3. No answer.
4. You have clubbed 3 & 4 together, although the question, you have asked, is more related to 4. Why, you ask. Tell me how does it feel to be "happy" or "sad". You can only describe how you feel in your body when you are happy or sad. But do you think, that those descriptions would invoke the same feeling of "happiness" or "sadness" in the person who is listening. Got it now.

5. Funny, you can't come up with a convincing answer to rebut my "opinion", except, of course, a suggestion. So "YOU-WILL-KNOW-IT-WHEN-YOU-EXPERIENCE-IT" is your last argument. Not much of an argument there.

Now again for psychedelic drugs......
Now you have started ranting about psychedelic drugs. I know, by now that you are a literal person. But that can't be an excuse for confusing a "metaphor" with the "literal". So let me clarify. (and now i am getting bored clarifying everything)

I used psychedelic drugs and orgasm as metaphor for physical processes. While orgasm was supposed to represent a bodily act that is internally self generated (now, don't start ranting about orgasm) and psychedelic drugs were supposed to represent the external stimuli effect on body. Since both give the feeling of extreme pleasure, in different ways, which can roughly induce in a person, a state of trance, a feeling of "lost from the present", these processes can be used as counterpoint to yoga.

The point was, if "feeling" is the touchstone, or key to spiritualism, then any physical process, initiated by external means or internal, resulting in similar feeling, is just as valid as yoga.

It has nothing to do with advocation of psychedelic drugs as way of life or with its side effects and all that $hit. Please try to distinguish between a "metaphor" and the "literal". That would save you a lot of trouble.

some stinking corner of a garbage dump said:
..in its true meaning "spirituality" also means understanding and controlling your body, nature so as to lead a "natural life" filled with intelligence, wisdom etc.
So practice of materialism, in its true meaning, does not result in "understanding and controlling your body, nature so as to lead a "natural life" filled with intelligence, wisdom etc." Can you please prove this premise, that materialism, without any recourse to "spiritualism", does not allow to lead a "natural life".

A healthy lifestyle, a world full of joy, broadminded and independent thinking approach which isn't based on the 'opinions' of others and which doesn't neglects anything just at random unlike urs, may be also to understand my body of what I shud eat and drink so as to minimize the dependence on medicines, understanding the nature, a feeling of compassion and peace that doesn't let go angry easily and knowing the surrounding around me and people I talk to.
You experienced all of these, because of spirituality or because of these experiences you realised you are "spiritual".

And how are these experiences different from those experienced by, say for example, a "materialist". Although i can't give myself all those nice certificates that you have given to yourself, i can say with fair confidence that i am feeling the same as you are (note the ones in bold) without any "spiritual" inclination or activity. How is that so. And guess what - all that you have mentioned can be explained from a "materialist" point of view as well. So tell once again, what has "spirituality" got to do with all of those.

..u have a very distorted view of terms like "yoga", "spirituality" etc!
If you claim someone has distorted view of certain terms, it becomes your responsibility prove that your view is correct and also why you are correct, which i don't think you can in this lifetime, at least. Or can you, now.

Try yoga, just for a month. Millions across the world be it US, Europe, INDIA etc aren't trying it for no reason. Majority of Scientists call themselves spiritual and science isn't bringing spirituality in for no reason!
YUP.....now i am convinced, you don't follow or depend on "others" opinion. Irrefutable proof.

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
And with diversion of thread, you are as much responsible as i am.
Hold ur pants dear and read who started talking about homeopathy and spirituality like a full fledged illiterate!

Since you are the only cry-baby, whining about this, i am guessing, i did alright. You have only yourself to blame for your misinterpretation. So, whine on.
Dr.Steven said:
I have e-mailed the hospital and I am trying to get contact information for Dr. Llewellyn-Clark so that I can fill in the missing details. If I do I will add an addendum to the post with the new information. Meanwhile, here are several possible hypotheses to explain this story.
To be clear - I am not accusing Mr. Lenkei or his surgeons of anything. I am simply laying out various hypotheses given the information available on this story. I would love to have the opportunity to test these hypotheses, by questioning Mr. Lenkei and/or his surgeon
I will have no problem quoting the article u linked as many times it will take to add to ur shame!
So meanwhile the blanks are being filled by the doc, u can entertain me as much as u want!

You were replying to the question if "spiritual feelings" can be clearly defined like any physical activity, which can be so done, due to observable and determinable events. Your conclusion was "YES", since we grow with some cultural lineage (i asked u to clarify what you meant by "in blood" and since you did not bother, thats what i would assume) and our independent outlook helps us to "differentiate and separate wrong from right". To this i replied...
karnivore said:
So, lets summarize. The concept of "spirituality" that you have is shaped by, subjective modification (right and wrong being subjective) of subjective assimilation of cultural roots (just 10 miles in any direction you go you will have a different culture system), complemented by subjective experiences. I guess, with so many "subjectives", the end result will be subjective as well.
This was how i was giving a counter point to your answer "YES", to prove, that feelings can't be so clearly defined because of so much variables that are involved. Got the point? Still don't? You will, once you can stop the spilling of your brain.
I don't understand why ur peanut brains is getting so jumbled now and so confused. Well, u r so predictable. "In blood", "in roots" mean the same thing if u were asking genuinely to improve ur English. It seems your concepts on the whole topic of science and spirituality are not clear either thinking of which it seems its only ur ego and arrogance that is taking toll on ur thinking process.

"Learning" a skill is not called "following"! U r treating as if learning is a synonynm of following. Do I ned to teach u English also now in the midst of an already deviated discussion? But walking behind someone without questioning and plagiarising his opinions 24*7 like he is a god or something is definitely called "following". May be u learnt somewhere that hypntoism, spirituality, homeopathy etc are "garbage" without any glance on the reality, facts and researches and since that time u have been beating the drums of ur ignorance.

If u r asking on the previous question of physical activites in "spirituality", that was quite clearly given by me i.e "mutual"! Ur notions of orgasm/dump as 'unworldy' quite clearly proved that u r here to talk rubbish like a stereotype who watches B-Grade Hindi erotic movies! So grow up, first understand what u r talking of and get ur concepts cleared. Repeatitions will not help u in anyway!

In other words, "spirituality" is nothing but some feelings and how you define it.), you conveniently forgot to tell me why you thought, that i softened my stand. You don't have to agree to my arguments and you have every right not to. But the least i can expect of you is that, you will follow my arguments, before starting your diatribe.
U need to understand what those feelings and experiences are! Howling without understanding will only take a toll on ur little brain here.

earlier said:
now said:
1. There is no doubt, that work-out is necessary for a healthy body. But thats not the point. The point is, yoga is just another "work out routine", which has been given a spin of "spirituality", following our tradition of assigning sky-fairies to everything we could lay our hands on. Again the point is not if starting point is physical, the point is, that, the entire routine of yoga involves some "physical process" at some point or other, thereby making it just another physical process.
Please make up ur mind what u wanna say. 'Guessing' about what yoga is, isn't gonna help u.

2. So you mean, unhealthy and uncompassionate lifestyle is non-physical? BTW, how is "lifestyle" a non-physical process. Even if i assume (don't get carried away, here) that life style is non-physical, why is yoga the necessary means. The same can be achieved through, say for example AEROBICS. If you say "NO", you have to explain why not.
Again a lapse in ur comprehension. If u cared to read carefully, I was replying to the mutuality which was 'just below' the 'previous line'.
Where did I say "lifestyle" is a non-physical process? U surely are addicted to the psychedelic drugs that is making u see things!! :D

3. No answer.
4. You have clubbed 3 & 4 together, although the question, you have asked, is more related to 4. Why, you ask. Tell me how does it feel to be "happy" or "sad". You can only describe how you feel in your body when you are happy or sad. But do you think, that those descriptions would invoke the same feeling of "happiness" or "sadness" in the person who is listening. Got it now.
I asked u "why it is impossible". I am listening!

5. Funny, you can't come up with a convincing answer to rebut my "opinion", except, of course, a suggestion. So "YOU-WILL-KNOW-IT-WHEN-YOU-EXPERIENCE-IT" is your last argument. Not much of an argument there.
U can't even understand what "mutual is", how can I explain u any further? Its get entertaining further, when u r trying to prove something even when u don't understand the difference between worldy and unworldy and calls dump/orgasm as unworldy! Smell the path to ur herd. :D

Its like explaining to a child who can't differentiate between oranges and apples and says they taste the same.

Now you have started ranting about psychedelic drugs. I know, by now that you are a literal person. But that can't be an excuse for confusing a "metaphor" with the "literal". So let me clarify. (and now i am getting bored clarifying everything)

I used psychedelic drugs and orgasm as metaphor for physical processes. While orgasm was supposed to represent a bodily act that is internally self generated (now, don't start ranting about orgasm) and psychedelic drugs were supposed to represent the external stimuli effect on body. Since both give the feeling of extreme pleasure, in different ways, which can roughly induce in a person, a state of trance, a feeling of "lost from the present", these processes can be used as counterpoint to yoga.
I see, u don't like fruit juice, so u r telling to have something like "Coke/Mirinda" as an alternative, as some counter to fruit juice? But dear, u can't have those toilet cleaners daily!! I wont rant bt orgasm, coz it wud be silly to even discuss bt it and I hope u don't either. :oops:

Besides the inclusion of psychedelic-drugs and wateva rubbish u cud think of was really pathetic. Besides ur "clarification" is much more amusing. Yoga is a way of life, psychedelic drugs is not! The details have already been stated in the previous post!! Grow up.

So practice of materialism, in its true meaning, does not result in "understanding and controlling your body, nature so as to lead a "natural life" filled with intelligence, wisdom etc." Can you please prove this premise, that materialism, without any recourse to "spiritualism", does not allow to lead a "natural life".
Do u even understand what materialism is? U have shown remarkable example of (un)worldy already!!

And how are these experiences different from those experienced by, say for example, a "materialist". Although i can't give myself all those nice certificates that you have given to yourself, i can say with fair confidence that i am feeling the same as you are (note the ones in bold) without any "spiritual" inclination or activity. How is that so. And guess what - all that you have mentioned can be explained from a "materialist" point of view as well. So tell once again, what has "spirituality" got to do with all of those.
Again understand what materialism is before I start!

If you claim someone has distorted view of certain terms, it becomes your responsibility prove that your view is correct and also why you are correct, which i don't think you can in this lifetime, at least. Or can you, now.
Thats what I am trying to do. But I cannot succeed if the subject itself is reluctant can I? How can I acknowledge a child that apple tastes different than an orange, if he himself is not willing to eat it? But instead the child is only trying hard on his insane guesses. :oops:

YUP.....now i am convinced, you don't follow or depend on "others" opinion. Irrefutable proof.
Again a case of "aphasia". Its not "opinion" dear :D. But a simple proof, ground reality, researched and found correct by 'modern scientists' who are 'spiritual' in majority!!

AGAIN do u still like to be corrected? If yes, then atleast try to taste the apple and the fruit juice. If not, then why even bother and create a joke of urself? Talk "on topic", the case is not "already explored". Please qquote me lie by line from next time and also the quotes from the links so as to acknowledge that u really read the full thing!!
Dr.Steven said:
I have e-mailed the hospital and I am trying to get contact information for Dr. Llewellyn-Clark so that I can fill in the missing details. If I do I will add an addendum to the post with the new information. Meanwhile, here are several possible hypotheses to explain this story.
To be clear - I am not accusing Mr. Lenkei or his surgeons of anything. I am simply laying out various hypotheses given the information available on this story. I would love to have the opportunity to test these hypotheses, by questioning Mr. Lenkei and/or his surgeon
:D

Mods : PLease move to Fight Club??

Last edited:

karnivore

in your face..
IMPOSSIBLE.......:D:D:D

Its been quite a comic relief for me.:D:D:D

Thanks for the entertainment, hope to see you around. One question though, did you actually pass your school or ..........:D :D

Take care

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
WTH :oops: . I was hoping for some 3-4 pages more atleast.

But neways, its quite clear that u will still be reluctant on spirituality matters and wont believe and learn from the scientists also u praise so much about how majority of em can be spiritual!!

So, take ur psychedelic drugs, have ur toilet cleaners and lead ur "natural" way of life as me and many others lead a spiritual life!

Hope u understand now, that its not "already explored"!! :)

S

sen_sunetra

I was passing by and this discussion caught my attention. I have read the entire discussion, but, I am still not clear on number of issues. I registered, so I could clear those things out.

Although, this discussion started with hypnotism - of which I have nothing worthwhile to contribute - and veered off to spiritualism, I hope I won’t be breaking any forum rules, if I ask a few questions on spirituality. However, if I am breaking any rule, I sincerely apologize.

I have 4 questions for all who feels like answering, and particularly for mediator and karnivore, since you two are the only ones engaged in a heated debate.

#1. What do YOU understand by spirituality ?

#2. Have YOU ever experienced spirituality as explained in #1 ? If yes, what were those experiences ?

#3. Do YOU think that the experiences YOU had, as described in #2, can also be experienced by a person, who is not spiritual, per se ? If NOT, then why ?

#4. If the answer to #3 is “YES”, then, how is a spiritual person different from a non-spiritual person ?

Regards

mediator

Technomancer
#5 What do u understand by non-spirituality and define it? Lets first distinguish clearly!
#6 What do u call a person and classify him in which category, the one who can't distinguish the right from wrong, who jumps to conclusions without even practicing or experiencing?
#7 Define "materialism"!
#8 Can 'materialistic' person ( ponder over or see the definition if u don't know ) still be thoughtful over the ethics, needs of others, benevolent and have some meaningful purpose of life?
#9 What r we, a mere piece of flesh that shud eat and sleep?
#10 Why is it that even though I can earn sufficient amount of money and buy all the materialistic things, I get happiness only in spending time with relatives, friends, understanding nature, mind and body?
#11 Do we really need to adapt ourselves to a lifestyle concerning beer, toilet cleaners like pepsi etc and all synthetic things we eat and drink and then constantly whine over health related problems and seeking medications afterwards?? Do we really need ACs contributing to CFCs, loss of ozone, global warming etc and then cry for the crisis that has arisen? We seek pleasant atmosphere in our "home", for that we heat up the "neighbourhood". In winters we use 'heaters'. Heat generated both to produce electricity and to heat the atmosphere!!

Lets see spirituality leads to a stability factor in all i.e mind, body and nature. What I discussed, is that stabilty??

Neways, there are many more questions yet to be asked and some that will present themselves over the passage of time.

@sen_sunetra: You are new here. I hope u will try to discuss in a civilized manner. But neways still I feel this shud be moved to "Fight Club". Learn what "Fight Club" is. :)
Meanwhile, I request u to take ur time and read my previous posts and links here, so as to minimize "repetitions" as it makes me lose my interest in the topic. And when I say read, then it means read it all. You may then resume!

Welcome to the forum!! :)

karnivore

in your face..
AAAHHH.....its like kicking a dog poop. No matter how much you shower, the stink keeps following.

@sen_sunetra

1. Spirituality is a word that starts with "S" and ends with "Y".
2. If leading a moral, ethical life, filled with compassion, love for humanity, a taste for quality, etc. is spirituality, then, yes i have experienced. But as far as i am concerned, i experience all of those not because of any pie-in-the-sky, but because, i chose to.
3. I guess, i am my own example.
4. There is basically no difference between a spiritual person and a non-spiritual person. They differ only in the manner they view life and its mysteries.

I would have loved to elaborate my points, but i am running short of time here. (Thats the main reason, why i ended this debate so abruptly. I would be traveling a lot in the next couple of weeks.)

Anyway, be forewarned, some people have successfully inoculated themselves against all sort of logic and rationale and have started breeding butterflies inside their skull cavity.

Would have really loved to discuss with you. But i gotta run.

Cheers.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
The above post shows that you are a chauvinist and follow science religiously :D

remember with only one word you can change the ending to a tragedy.

S

sen_sunetra

Lest one gets a wrong idea, let me make it clear at the very outset, that my purpose is not to convert anybody from his/her belief.

mediator

Let me first thank you for your welcome note. I also, appreciate, that you responded to my request, although, not exactly to my queries. I would also like you to know, that I have indeed read all of your posts in connection with this discussion, and still did not get a clear idea of your, or karnivore’s, view on spirituality.

I will most definitely go through all the links that you have provided, as and when I get time. However, I was expecting to hear about YOUR OWN views. I would have really been glad, if you took your time out and answered those specific questions. In the meantime let me try and answer to your queries, which seems, more to be directed at someone else than me.

#5. What do u understand by non-spirituality and define it? Lets first distinguish clearly!

A: Non-spirituality is something that is not spiritual. As you can see, non-spirituality is a negative word derived from the original word spirituality. Hence it is impossible to define non-spirituality, without first defining spirituality. That’s why my first question was for the definition of spirituality, so that we can actually understand where we stand on the issue of spirituality.

#6. What do u call a person and classify him in which category, the one who can't distinguish the right from wrong, who jumps to conclusions without even practicing or experiencing?

A: I don’t know, if a category for this exists. So I won’t be able to answer this question. Our understanding of right or/and wrong, depends entirely on individual point of view. An orthodox Brahmin, will feel, that getting touched by a so called un-touchable, is a “wrong”. But an enlightened Brahmin will not see any “wrong” in it. A person who is hungry for number of days will find it “right” to steal a loaf of bread. But the shopkeeper will not see the “right” in it. However, there are also, rights and wrongs, that are absolute. Killing a person, for whatever reason, if it is not intentional, is always wrong, whoever you are and however you are.

Is it always necessary to experience or practice everything before concluding ? I have never climbed mount Everest, and I never will. But it is not difficult for me, or you, to conclude that climbing is a laborious, extremely strenuous job. I don’t have asthma, but it is not difficult for me, or you, to conclude that a patient suffering from this disease will be at great disadvantage, should she decide to climb that mountain. The key is keen observation of the person who is experiencing it, thorough examination of the person, if possible, and finally analyzing the evidences. All of which are processes of gathering knowledge. A doctor makes a successful diagnosis of a disease, not because he was himself previously infected by it, but because, he has the knowledge of its symptoms. He gains this knowledge, through training and observing (and treating) a patient with similar disease. It is not always necessary to experience or practice everything before concluding. Of course, experience helps, but what is necessary, is the knowledge of the matter.

#7. Define "materialism"!

A: In common parlance, it means one’s attachment to material possessions, say for example, wealth, and the free lunches that come with it. However, when philosophers or scientists talk of materialism, they actually refer to the attempt of explaining every single phenomena without recourse to anything immaterial. Material in such a case refers to “physical” and immaterial refers to “non-physical”. For example, Cartesian dualists try to differentiate between the body (physical) and the mind (non-physical), implying that mind has a separate non-spaceal existence. A materialist try to define mind as a function of brain (physical).

#8. Can 'materialistic' person ( ponder over or see the definition if u don't know ) still be thoughtful over the ethics, needs of others, benevolent and have some meaningful purpose of life?

A: True. If a person attaches too much value to materialistic pleasures, as understood in common parlance, that all his priorities, his attention, his energy, his focus, will tend to revolve around, how to acquire and enjoy those materialistic pleasures. His life will indeed revolve around himself only.

But “materialism”, is not about “materialistic pleasures”. As I have defined above, it is the manner of defining everything without recourse to anything immaterial. Worldly pleasures, can be pursued with equal intensity, by a strictly spiritual person as well. Half the atrocities against humanity are carried on in the name of religion, which also, claim to be the road to spirituality. There is no evidence, statistically speaking, that spiritual persons are less likely to kill, rape, rob, defraud, evade tax or commit any other crimes. A cross section of prison population in any country would show, that there are more religious (hence spiritual) persons doing their term, than non-religious persons.

#9. What r we, a mere piece of flesh that shud eat and sleep?

A: Speaking in terms of evolutionary science, that’s what we are supposed be. Human beings are animals, just as much any four legged, or two legged one, the only difference being the complexity of the brain. While a four legged one is incapable of thinking on its own, human beings can. Because we can think, we have appreciation, a sense of quality, logic, rationale etc. That’s why we can appreciate a Mozart, or a Picasso, or a Shakespeare. And that’s why we don’t find it fulfilling just to eat, drink, sleep and propagate. Because we can think we try to give a moral acceptability to life, by means of religion or spirituality or some other belief system.

#10. Why is it that even though I can earn sufficient amount of money and buy all the materialistic things, I get happiness only in spending time with relatives, friends, understanding nature, mind and body?

A: Because your priorities are different than the one, who finds happiness in pursuit of “materialistic” (speaking in common parlance) things. I have covered this in #8 and #9. You can call this “spirituality”, but remember, it is a matter of one’s choice.

#11. Do we really need to adapt ourselves to a lifestyle concerning beer, toilet cleaners like pepsi etc and all synthetic things we eat and drink and then constantly whine over health related problems and seeking medications afterwards?? Do we really need ACs contributing to CFCs, loss of ozone, global warming etc and then cry for the crisis that has arisen? We seek pleasant atmosphere in our "home", for that we heat up the "neighbourhood". In winters we use 'heaters'. Heat generated both to produce electricity and to heat the atmosphere!!

A: I agree, with you, that we don’t need most of the indulgences. But again, it is a matter of choice. Just as it is one’s choice to drink beer or coke to satisfy himself, it is yours not to. If you are saying, that “spirituality” helps in making choices, then, the question is, does that mean, that spiritual persons do not drink beer or coke ? The sales figure and the ever increasing profit margin of the beer or coke companies, however, tend to speak otherwise. Since majority of the population, some way or the other, believe in “spirituality”, one can safely assume, that a large section of their consumer constitutes of these spiritual persons.

Environmental pollution, due to use of luxury equipments, pose a different question altogether. You obviously do not want to throw the baby with the bathwater. You certainly do not want the people living in the low temperature zone to switch off their heaters, or people living in high temperature zone to switch off their ACs. Simply generating electricity, by conventional method of burning coal, will generate huge amount of carbon in the atmosphere. You certainly do not want to shut down the plants. You definitely do not want people to walk all the way to their offices, because, their cars emit toxic chemical in the air. The question, is how should we decrease the amount of pollution in the air and water. It is something that should concern the scientists and governments. I am sure, a spiritual person uses electricity, ACs, heaters, cars and plays equal role in polluting mother earth.

“Lets see spirituality leads to a stability factor in all i.e mind, body and nature. What I discussed, is that stabilty??”

That assumes, that mind, body and nature are in an unstable state. I would really appreciate it, if you please explain this unstable state, that requires stability. If you are implying, that spirituality brings out the best in a person, then, since this world is mostly inhabited by persons, who are spiritual in their own ways, shouldn’t it already have been a better place to live in. Statistically speaking, there are far less number of atheists or non-spiritual persons, than theists and spiritual persons.

However, I completely agree with you, that more questions need to be asked, and if I may, correctly asked.

Please, try to answer the questions I posed, in my first post. That will help me in debating with you more objectively.

karnivore:

I would have loved to see your elaboration.

Thank you for your warning, but I am willing to believe, that I won’t be unfortunate to meet one.

Regards.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^may i recommend u a movie to see what exactly it is in more nearer sense ?

I know we dont actually want to do these things until and unless we are free to do so.

mediator

Technomancer
@Sen : Since u have responded in such a humble way, it compels me to answer to u similarly.

#1. What do YOU understand by spirituality ?
Like I said before, the path to know the nature, understand ur own body and mind, this is what spirituality means to me. It is the understanding that without the mind, the body is just a mere piece of flesh. Life is all connected. We are all connected! Our body is formed of natural elements/nature and hence if we play with nature, then it is bound to reflect on our body as already being seen these days. It is the quest for eternal wisdom. Even though it has been years, I still feel I am rather new to the path of spirituality!

#2. Have YOU ever experienced spirituality as explained in #1 ? If yes, what were those experiences?
The experience is that of joy, happiness, peace and sometimes amazement. Like from watching over the hilly areas of kedarnath, the peace at the top of the valley, the ganges, the hot sulphur spring that flows out from the earth just 10 meters away from the fresh cold stream arising from the snow at the top, experiencing the true beauty of nature that makes u calm and revives ur mind and body and fills with an energy that cannot be gathered via materialism and a state of mind that lets you forget all the worldy problems. Its also the intuitional experience of knowing when someone is about to come, what other person is doing, "where" he is.

#3. Do YOU think that the experiences YOU had, as described in #2, can also be experienced by a person, who is not spiritual, per se ? If NOT, then why ?
My discussion here is more to the point that spirituality is not "garbage"!! But now thinking of it, I think everybody recieves intuitional messages, but it depends on how receptive u r of it. A man who neglects "spirituality" simply lowers his tendency to 'hear' those messages that are "non-physical" and "immaterial". I dont know if a materialistic man practices meditation, pranayam, yoga. If he does then he is simply spiritual. Don't u agree?

So I think everybody is spiritual at some time or other, but its only how much u r aware of it.

#4. If the answer to #3 is "YES", then, how is a spiritual person different from a non-spiritual person ?
Your definition of materialism has itself inferred that. A spiritual person is beyong the worldy desires of money, fame, name etc which when goes to the head, corrupts it and then destroys you from within. If the people had been non-spiritual and simply materialistic, then I don't think fields like hypnotism, meditation or yoga would have even surfaced.

sen said:
A: Non-spirituality is something that is not spiritual. As you can see, non-spirituality is a negative word derived from the original word spirituality. Hence it is impossible to define non-spirituality, without first defining spirituality. That’s why my first question was for the definition of spirituality, so that we can actually understand where we stand on the issue of spirituality.
NOw please define non-spirituality in ur own words!

sen said:
An orthodox Brahmin, will feel, that getting touched by a so called un-touchable, is a “wrong”. But an enlightened Brahmin will not see any “wrong” in it. A person who is hungry for number of days will find it “right” to steal a loaf of bread. But the shopkeeper will not see the “right” in it. However, there are also, rights and wrongs, that are absolute. Killing a person, for whatever reason, if it is not intentional, is always wrong, whoever you are and however you are.
How can u say a person who is stealing will find it "right"?

sen said:
Is it always necessary to experience or practice everything before concluding? I have never climbed mount Everest, and I never will. But it is not difficult for me, or you, to conclude that climbing is a laborious, extremely strenuous job. I don’t have asthma, but it is not difficult for me, or you, to conclude that a patient suffering from this disease will be at great disadvantage, should she decide to climb that mountain. The key is keen observation of the person who is experiencing it, thorough examination of the person, if possible, and finally analyzing the evidences. All of which are processes of gathering knowledge. A doctor makes a successful diagnosis of a disease, not because he was himself previously infected by it, but because, he has the knowledge of its symptoms. He gains this knowledge, through training and observing (and treating) a patient with similar disease. It is not always necessary to experience or practice everything before concluding. Of course, experience helps, but what is necessary, is the knowledge of the matter.
It certainly makes u describe ur "experience" as it becomes ur own!! Again how can u say climbing is a "laborious" task? U r simply not used to it or have not developed a certain set of muscles in your body.

Have u ever been to a hilly area, again like kedarnath. See how the locals do up and down there 4 times easily, where we have trouble catching our breath in covering not even one-fourth of the distance upside. I also don't have asthma!!

Learn about sherpas.

Now for the doctor, yes he might not be infected. But he certainly has the "knowledge" like u urself say. And since he has the knowledge, learnt about the symptoms etc, he does not rejects the possibilty of the disease.

Similar is what I am talking about. Even if u don't know what spirituality is, millions have told there experiences vaguely or may be clearly. Like I reported, majority of scientists too are spiritual. Yoga is practised across by millions and have found spirtuality as a way of life. So, even if u have not experienced it, u can observe people and learn more about their experiences. But if u cannot understand it or the person explaining is not clear, shud u reject it?

A child for example might not know what quantum physics, theory of relativity, uranium dating is. He might not even understand it for the whole of next 1 year, since he has just started with number addition, subtraction etc. Shud he then reject what modern science is trying to explain? Don't u agree to be able to understand it all, u need to have basic concepts cleared first? Or do u conclude, learn, observe the advanced concepts without clearing the basics first?

Its always common among the gymers where noobies come in pursuit of a herculies like body & give up in a week or two sayin gym is a waste and body develops only when u take "supplements"! What do u call that? "Experience" or "ignorance"?? I hope u r a gymer urself!

sen said:
#7. Define "materialism"!

A: In common parlance, it means one’s attachment to material possessions, say for example, wealth, and the free lunches that come with it. However, when philosophers or scientists talk of materialism, they actually refer to the attempt of explaining every single phenomena without recourse to anything immaterial. Material in such a case refers to “physical” and immaterial refers to “non-physical”. For example, Cartesian dualists try to differentiate between the body (physical) and the mind (non-physical), implying that mind has a separate non-spaceal existence. A materialist try to define mind as a function of brain (physical).

#8. Can 'materialistic' person ( ponder over or see the definition if u don't know ) still be thoughtful over the ethics, needs of others, benevolent and have some meaningful purpose of life?

A: True. If a person attaches too much value to materialistic pleasures, as understood in common parlance, that all his priorities, his attention, his energy, his focus, will tend to revolve around, how to acquire and enjoy those materialistic pleasures. His life will indeed revolve around himself only.
What is "dark energy',"dark matter", physical or non-physical? What r emotions, feelings, intelligence? Material then or immaterial? Can everything be material?

If a materialist tries to define mind as a function of brain(physical), then does the mind need to be physical also? If so, where can we find it? And if we can find that, where can we find intelligence, emotions, behavior, knowledge?

Again, it has been quite known now that many INDIAN yogis can successfully control their heart beat and even stop it for brief period of time. Science clearly mantions that a person is dead if his heart stops. What do the materialists say on that??

Sen said:
But “materialism”, is not about “materialistic pleasures”. As I have defined above, it is the manner of defining everything without recourse to anything immaterial. Worldly pleasures, can be pursued with equal intensity, by a strictly spiritual person as well. Half the atrocities against humanity are carried on in the name of religion, which also, claim to be the road to spirituality. There is no evidence, statistically speaking, that spiritual persons are less likely to kill, rape, rob, defraud, evade tax or commit any other crimes. A cross section of prison population in any country would show, that there are more religious (hence spiritual) persons doing their term, than non-religious persons.
Nope, materialism is about material world and its materialistc pleasures! Yes the worldy pleasures "can" be pursued by a "spiritual" person too. He "can" be "greedy", "sex" hungry. But this intensity isn't that intense in spiritual person.

Again ur inclusion of a phrase like 'religious (hence spiritual)' clearly tells that u don't understand the difference between religion and spirituality!! Again religion can be classified into those who aim to fulfill their own propaganda and aim and little tolerance over other religions and into those which do not even say anything about themselves or other religions or ask to embrace it, but only aim for the welfare of the nature, life and lifestyle. In some religions there are a set of rulez that one "has to" obey and in other there is no such rule but simply pieces of wisdom that one "may" ponder over and follow.

A man may become spiritual pondering over the thoughts and wisdom from his religion or he may become one without a religion!

So yes a religious man who has done nuthing but following what his own religion says, can "kill, rape, rob, defraud, evade tax or commit any other crimes". But a man who really is spiritual, I think, cannot do such crime as spirituality after all is also about "eternal wisdom". Its all practical and one needs to experience it "practically" cause guessing only promotes "rumours", "humors" and vague vision of the subject!!

#9. What r we, a mere piece of flesh that shud eat and sleep?

A: Speaking in terms of evolutionary science, that’s what we are supposed be. Human beings are animals, just as much any four legged, or two legged one, the only difference being the complexity of the brain. While a four legged one is incapable of thinking on its own, human beings can. Because we can think, we have appreciation, a sense of quality, logic, rationale etc. That’s why we can appreciate a Mozart, or a Picasso, or a Shakespeare. And that’s why we don’t find it fulfilling just to eat, drink, sleep and propagate. Because we can think we try to give a moral acceptability to life, by means of religion or spirituality or some other belief system.
Agreed!

#10. Why is it that even though I can earn sufficient amount of money and buy all the materialistic things, I get happiness only in spending time with relatives, friends, understanding nature, mind and body?

A: Because your priorities are different than the one, who finds happiness in pursuit of “materialistic” (speaking in common parlance) things. I have covered this in #8 and #9. You can call this “spirituality”, but remember, it is a matter of one’s choice.
No, I too have priorities that I shud earn sufficiently and may be I can donate if I earn extra, live according to the laws. But again money doesn't impress me, it doesn't makes me happy! Does the extra money or the desire for infinite money makes a materialist happy? Why? What is he earning that for? Why does he gets frustrated if he doesn't gets that "extra"? Are the means of earning ethical. Is morality a part of that earning or the effect of earning?

If not then, there isn't much difference between that "happiness" and greed!

sen said:
A: I agree, with you, that we don’t need most of the indulgences. But again, it is a matter of choice. Just as it is one’s choice to drink beer or coke to satisfy himself, it is yours not to. If you are saying, that “spirituality” helps in making choices, then, the question is, does that mean, that spiritual persons do not drink beer or coke ? The sales figure and the ever increasing profit margin of the beer or coke companies, however, tend to speak otherwise. Since majority of the population, some way or the other, believe in “spirituality”, one can safely assume, that a large section of their consumer constitutes of these spiritual persons.
Large percentage of people drinking "doesn't mean" that many of em can be or may be spiritual? Its only ur "proabable guess" nuthing else, which has no reports or even studies which asks of how many of em are spiritual!!

Besides I think no sane person who has been walking the path of spirituality for years will ever touch those toilet cleaners! Spirituality means seeking "infinite wisdom" also. I haven't touched it for around 2 years now. Once u explore the natural alternatives, u will be surprised to know how much better they are.

That assumes, that mind, body and nature are in an unstable state. I would really appreciate it, if you please explain this unstable state, that requires stability. If you are implying, that spirituality brings out the best in a person, then, since this world is mostly inhabited by persons, who are spiritual in their own ways, shouldn’t it already have been a better place to live in. Statistically speaking, there are far less number of atheists or non-spiritual persons, than theists and spiritual persons.
Greed, ego, arrogance, not willing to look deeper before concluding something, following blindly etc can very well be used to describe an unstable mind.

You don't seem to understand the difference between spirituality and theism also very well. I think I have discussed on that one too. U may read it. Let me say it again, I am spiritual but not a theist!! :)

Last edited:

karnivore

in your face..
@sen_sunetra

Can't blame that you were not warned.

mediator said:
Greed, ego, arrogance, not willing to look deeper before concluding something, following blindly etc can very well be used to describe an unstable mind.
HMMM........and some stability it has brought to my friend. Here are some pearls.:D:D:D
..all I got was some stereotypical and mindless set of null arguments..
The disorder u r suffering from is called "Dysphasia/Aphasia"
No wonder u can talk at ur low level of deteriorated/null intellect.
Wondering, I think ur brains doesn't work at all.
I don't understand why ur peanut brains is getting so jumbled now and so confused.
Arrogance....anybody.

Seems magic of "spirituality" is not working on everybody.:D:D:D Or is it the extremely HIGH CULTURAL BACKGROUND, that my friend comes from, that is coming in his way.

Pity, Pity. What a waste.

S

sen_sunetra

T159,

You are always welcome to make recommendations. Although, i am not so much of a movie buff, but i will definitely try to watch your recommendation.

mediator

Thank you for replying back and filling the void. I will try to answer the points that you have raised, but, not as para by para, as you have done, for the reason of lack of time and of course my limited knowledge of formatting. However I will try to cover everything that seems relevant to the discussion.

Spirituality, Non-spirituality, Experiences and Can we be good without spirituality:

I do not have any problem with your definition of spirituality, as long as it is about “the path to know the nature, understand ur own body and mind”. Some might, however, go about the same by means of nature study, or study of biology or neurology or anthropology etc. and call it education.

We are of course connected to each other by a common prehistoric ancestor, which has since long disappeared without a trace. The fact, that all vertebrates have a common sea ancestor, is evidenced by the fact that we still need sodium chloride to maintain our bodily functions. So, I also don’t see why we can’t say that we are connected in an evolutionary process, although, the genetic print of that one common ancestor is lost due to millions of years of mutation.

Wisdom, again, can be had through proper education (It does not refer to academic education only. For a tribe living in the deep jungles of the Amazon basin, the most pertinent education is how to hunt successfully) and right experiences, (e.g. if you take your hand close to the fire, the heat should warn you of the damage it may cause to your hand, and you would recoil your hand. This experience should teach you to stay away from fire). This is where, I would part ways. Trying to know the “eternal” wisdom, however, presupposes that there is something “eternal” or “infinite” about some wisdom. Materialists are not good with presuppositions and seeks clear explanations, which I am sure, you will provide.

[In one debate with another spiritual person, I was told, that it is learning the “eternal truth”. When I asked what do you mean by eternal truth, he replied back that it is about acknowledging and understanding that there is a greater consciousness, far bigger than the self. When I pointed to him that since he could explain what “eternal truth” is, it would mean that he has already known it, and hence his journey of spiritualism has ended, he, of course, replied back in kind words of the ghetto.]

Non-spirituality, on the basis of your definition would be, pursuing knowledge through study of empirical evidence (as in nature studies, biology, neurology, anthropology etc.) or reasoning (as in evolutionary science), without having to resort to non-physical.

The experiences, that you have associated with your definition of spirituality, can also be described as a feeling of wonderment, or a state of being in awe. I would like to think, everybody, whether spiritual or not, has enough sensitivity or emotion to make one appreciate beauty or quality, although it may vary in degree. Just because someone is spiritual, he is better suited to enjoy nature, or understand Mozart, or appreciate Tagore’s novels, or marvel at Picasso’s painting, is an argument, that does not support evidence.

It is perhaps not fair to assume, that just because one is not spiritual, he will be callous, self-hedonist, with no charity or kindness or generosity, and because one is spiritual he will be all of those. I understand that you are a fairly charitable person, and you believe that all this came to you because of your deep involvement with spirituality. Fair enough. But why are you assuming that this is the only way to goodness. A theist, on the other hand would claim, that the only way to goodness is god. Since you are an atheist, you will not find reason in it. But in doing so, you will be putting yourself in the same shoes of a non-spiritual person, as opposed to spiritual person.

As it turns out, that, the reasons of altruism can be explained by means of Darwinian Natural Selection. There are several books on this subject only, notably by Marc Hauser, Robert Hinde or Richard Dawkins. Marc Hauser, in his book “Moral Minds”, actually goes a step ahead, in testing the premise, that morality is subjective to religion, or as the case may be, spirituality. Not surprisingly, sense of morality was found to be absolute, irrespective of one’s faith, belief or religion. Different things work for different people. If spirituality motivates one to be good, then for other people it can be something else, say for example, his sense of duty towards his family or society as whole. That sense, is firstly genetically printed in all of us, and secondly, polished by means of, believe in spirituality, in someone’s case, or humanism, in some others.

Note carefully, that I am not claiming that non-spirituality, increases, the goodness in human being. I am merely pointing out that there is no correlation between non-spirituality and badness, or for that matter, spirituality and goodness.

Physical, Non-Physical and Is everything Physical:

Physical means, which has presence in time and space. Non-physical means which does not. When materialists argue about everything being physical, it means that all phenomena, however, strange or mysterious it may appear to common sense, can be explained as or traced back or reduced to some physical process. Does gravity have a physical presence or a non-physical presence ? The correct question is, is gravity a result of some physical process or a non-physical process. As it turns out, it is a result of motion of matter, even at molecular level. Since, gravity is dependent on mass and motion, if any of the two is taken away, gravity ceases, confirming it to be physical process.

Same is the case with emotions. Loosely we ascribe it to mind, whereas, a materialist would call it a faculty of brain, which can further be reduced to some neural activities, resulting in flow of hormone, specially, Serotonin. A misbalance in the flow of this hormone causes, extreme emotions. Same is the case with intelligence or similar other phenomena.

If mind is a separate entity, then it does not explain adequately why, when a person faces near death experience, that leaves her handicapped severely, she suffers from trauma, which can, in most cases be permanent. If mind does not have a spaceal existence, should not it remain unscathed.

Is religion a means of spirituality:

According to the explanation given by you, it is not. But to a theist, it is. Your definition is acceptable to you, for reasons that you feel are valid. A theists, definition is also valid to him, again, for reasons, that he finds acceptable. Implying, that he is wrong and you are right, requires explanation as to why. A materialist, meanwhile, is immune to any definition of spirituality, and however it is presented, whether in religious package or otherwise.

Every person, finds her religion to be “good” and all other religions to be “bad”, there is nothing new about it. What is, however, new is an atheist, would find it alright, bringing in a distinction between “good” religion and “bad” religion. Should not an atheist be indifferent to a religion as a whole. Are we sure, that we are not jumping into some conclusion on the basis of current day events in the name of religion, without actually studying them. Because if it is the current day events, that are making us bring this distinction, then can we at all bring in this distinction in the first place.

However, I understand, that it is the misinterpretation of Gore Vidal and more currently, the lenient tone of Sam Harris, that have quite inadvertently, added fuel to the fire of making such distinctions.

You have not experienced, so you don’t know:

Dealt with, in my previous post. Hence not repeating. I continue to hold my position.

Millions believe and experience, hence true:

Millions believe that jesus was born of a virgin woman, and millions claim to feel god, (priests, monks, yogis), but that does not preclude you to become an atheist. You surely have your reasons for being an atheist. But if you call upon this argument, a theist may use the same against your atheistic belief. You can’t disagree to one argument in one context and agree to the same in another, according to whim or convenience.
Also, is there any safety in numbers ? That, there is none, was proved by Copernicus, with his life, and Galileo, with his surrender.

Wrong examples ? Stealing, Sherpas, Doctors and beer /coke/ pepsi:

The example of stealing bread by a hungry man, was an example of right action not of right morality. If someone holds a gun against an atheist, (e.g. Galileo) and asks her to become a theist, she may find it right to do exactly that, for she may wish to see the next morning. It is a case of how right and wrong change with circumstance.

Your explanation regarding Sherpas, is actually the same as mine. You, not being a Sherpa, could conclude, that they don’t find climbing steep mountains as laborious as, say, you and me, because you have observed them and probably even studied. It simply is the other way of saying that, experiencing is not always necessary to conclude, as knowledge is.

True, the doctor does not reject the possibilities. But he does so because, each possibility is REAL to him. And one of these possibilities will lead him to something REAL, i.e. the disease, itself. By REAL, I mean something that can be tested and verified, empirically.

My argument on, spiritual persons being the highest drinkers of beer/ coke/ pepsi, were based on principles of statistics. If in a room of 10 people, 8 believe in theory A and 2 believe in theory B, then a random sample of, say 6, will reflect the believers of theory A to be greater in number than the believers of theory B. Yes, there is probably no research or data to prove my point. But, to believe, that spiritual people in the European countries, or say, American continents do not drink beer or coke or pepsi, is probably stretching our imagination beyond reason. Coke/ pepsi are health hazard all round the world and indeed toilet cleaners, in every sense of the phrase, but only in India. It is because, our political leaders (sic) have let our land to be the favorite dumping ground, or laboratory of the western companies.

Arguments based on assumptions and unproven feats:

To be able to tell what a person is thinking, or where is she, at a precise given time, yogis stopping heart beats at will, people receiving intuitional messages are all unproven facts. Proof doesn’t mean a claim to do those, but it means, if those feats could be replicated under controlled environment with credible scientists around.

You don’t see a materialist, resort to some non testable or non verifiable events or feats to stake her claim. That’s because, empirical evidence is the key for a materialist.

You don’t know this or that:

Please stop making comments like that. It only leads an argument to nullity. The same way as you accuse people of not knowing something, one may label you to be not knowing what you are talking of. A “materialist” can accuse you of commenting on materialism without knowing what it is, particularly, in spite of explaining what it is in clear terms, when you say, “materialism is about material world and its materialistc pleasures”. One may be tempted to accuse you of twisting explanation to better suite your own ideas.

Just because someone holds a view, which is diametrically opposite to yours, it does not mean that the person is a lesser person. If it is so, again, one can say, that since you are holding an opposing view, you become the same, by your own premise, and it goes into an infinite reduction.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom