making new partitions in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmik

Journeyman
Hi !
Got a new Dell XPS M1530 (my bro's) some days back...
Config: Intel C2D T7250@2GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, nVidia M8600GT etc....
Its pre loaded with Vista Home Premium 32bit.

Now, the partitions shown in Disk Management are::
78MB - EISA Configuration,
10GB (Recovery D: ) - Primary Partition,
136.47GB - (OS C: ) - System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition,
2.50GB - Primary Partition

I wanted to reduce size of C: to about 25GB and make about 3-4 new partitions...

I tried one thing: right click C: -> Shrink Volume
This allows me to shrink size of C: to a max of abt 71GB.
The remaining space (abt 66GB) shows up as unallocated.
On right clicking the unallocated space->New Simple Volume and following the steps, an error msg pops up : "There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation."

Can u ppl plz tell me the way in which i can reduce space allocated to C: and create new partitions easily?

PS: I would rather have contiguous memory locations as drives,rather than blocks from diff locations made into a drive using some 3rd party apps...
Thanks...

anandk

Distinguished Member
Clear PC Junk - run CCleaner.
Defrag yr Disk - use Auslogics Defrag freeware
then see if something here helps you.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
disabling system restore will allow u to reduce the size of c further

OP
H

harmik

Journeyman
the laptop is new, i havent installed/copied anything on it or used internet;
so no need to use ccleaner yet.
i will disable page file, delete page file from C:\, disable system restore and then try to shrink..

i tried using PerfectDisk to defrag. but there is some file arnd halfway thru the C: drive (which is excluded from defrag) + some folders etc after it.
to move the folders etc to start of the drive, i tried using offline defrag at stratup but msg comes that there may be some driver clash, so cannot continue and reboots without performing offline defrag.

and what abt the msg that pops up "There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation."
nobody told any solution for that yet !!
help me out here guys !!

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
i guess thats the problem with all these new laptops bundled wit vista .......... u cant repartition the primary partition.........

anandk

Distinguished Member
Understanding the message : There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation.

Most new computers with OEM Vista pre-installs come with 4 partitions. Hard disks configured as basic disks are limited to 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition and multiple logical drives. And as such, if you try to shrink the OS partition, you may find that you cannot create a 5th partition due to this limit.

There could be two possible solutions for this issue:

1) As the disk pre-configured by OEM may have conflicts with disk management tool in Windows Vista, you should try some 3rd party tools like Auslogics Freeware Defrag, to repartition the disk.

2) You may try to delete a less important partition created already and merge the space together to create a new partition with proper drive letter.

Deleting the partitions created by the OEM is often not possible due to the way the OEMs configure the partitions. Therefore the option then is to extend the operating system partition back to the original size to regain use of the unallocated space. If additional storage is needed, consider adding an external USB hard disk.

Vista SP1 is expected to address this issue !

Its mentioned on WinVistaClub ;-)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
the best & safest way would be - call the customer care (DELL) & ask them.:p

thats what i did for my HP Desktop, they gave the instruction, & they gave a call & guided me thru the whole process, which took about 30mins.

OP
H

harmik

Journeyman
@anandk
Hmm.... Ohk. I came across that too on winvistaclub...
So, apart frm waiting for sp1 or gettng a new HDD, is there any way out for creating additional partitions on the HDD?

I disabled Page file, set sleep->never.
and deleted the page file, hibernate file.

However, there are still some fragments of MFT, directories etc halfway thru the C:. PerfectDisk can defrag tht and place it properly on the HDD, but its givin me probs!! So, m trying out Paragon Defrag now (recommended by s1800rpm) .. Hope it helps me out. if everythng goes f9, then i'll firstly shrink C: to an optimum size and do as u guys suggest (hopefully there will be a viable solution for creating more partitions...
thnx...

OP
H

harmik

Journeyman
C: shunk to 25.0GB.
111.47GB unallocated....
Page file activated. Power settings returned to default.

kindly advise further...
I want to create 3-4 additional partitions... Now i think the original system of primary and extended partitions was much better and avoids these hassels !!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Did u get the OEM installation DVD? Then why don't u wipe the harddisk clean & reinstall WIndows & make a 25 GB partition. After this make as many partitions in the rest of the space.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
after making an Extended Partition from that un-allocated space.

follow the instruction frm pics.

Creating Extended Partition
Right click on that un-allocated space->create partition->select the options (Partition type = Extended , NTFS...)->ok->apply (at top of the s/w window)

Creating Partitions
Select that new Extended Partition, right click on it-> Move/Resize part.

*s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/part.jpg
[example pic., the un-allocated partition is green in colour]

Keep the mouse pointer at "right end", now the pointer changes as shown in pic., now click & move that (like dragging) till the desired size is attained, or you can enter the exact size at bottom of that window.

*s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/part11.jpg => *s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/part3.jpg

Click Yes, now another un-allocated space is created.
*s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/part5.jpg == *s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/part6.jpg

right Click it ->Create Partition, like you did just now, create as many partition this way.(here also, you can resize)

after making all those partitions,-

WARNING : Before proceeding to next step, make sure you havent made any mistakes in re-sizing, file system(NTFS)... RECHECK all the changes.

Finally click Apply

*s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/part4.jpg

Most probably, "Partition Manager" may promt for a restart, do it, partitions will be made when system resarts.

remember, untill you click that Apply button, no change has been made to your HDD partitions. all remains as s/w (dummy) change only, so dont worry if you did any mistake in resizing, you can undo it. :))

Last edited:
OP
H

harmik

Journeyman
@gx_saurav
ya, i hv the OS Recovery DVD..
but wouldnt that mean also deleting the recovery partition and the 2 additional partitions apart from C: on the HDD?

@s1800rpm
Thanks for the great tutorial on the partitioning stuff!! :)
right now i dnt have the partition manager... will get it if need be..
anyway, i have previously created/deleted partitions on a basic disk (primary partition, extended partition, logical drive atc)
But this is a dynamic disk i think (simple, spanned, striped partitions...

and as i already have 4 partitions, it seems difficult that windows will allow me to create another partition without deleting one...
what r the other 3 partitions for??

as it is mentioned that sp1 is likely to address this issue, what do u guys say?
when will sp1 be available for users to download (thru MS website or Windows Update?

OP
H

harmik

Journeyman
Bumping the thread......

Well, now i have 2 options::

1. Leave the unallocated space as it is for now and wait for Vista SP1 to launch.. maybe it will allow me to create 4+ drives on a dynamic disk.

2. Copy the data from the Recovery Drive ( D: ) on some other PC or onto DVDs. Format the whole HDD. Then install the OS from the provided Vista disk, create a partition D: of 10GB. Install media direct from its CD, then copy back content of D:.
Then using the restore option, restore all content of C: back to factory settings (saves me the pain of installing all drivers, McAfee, Roxio, Bluetooth, webcam, Fingerprint manager etc everytime).
And then create Extended partition and logical drives for data storage.
However, in this process, i lose the Diagnostics partition...
I believe in this process i will be able to create the HDD as a basic disk (primary, extended partitions, logical drives etc) which is easier to use, as compared to the present dynamic disk structure.
Correct me if i have written anything wrong in this 2nd method.... Is it possible without any probs or not..

Kindly advise. (or tell any other better alternative..

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well compaq and dell dont charge 500/- for making partitions just like that :D

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
@harmik.

for me, the recovery disk (HP Pavilion Desktop - XP Home) work in ONLY two ways.

1. initiates the Standard Recovery (thru HDD), no data loss.
2. Full Recovery.
all data, partitions are deleted/formatted & the disk installs OS & recovery data & formats the HDD to factory settings. that is 2 partitions only.

my dad jus got his laptop, i'll have to contact HP to get going wit making partitions:)) (next week probably)

OP
H

harmik

Journeyman
from Owner's Manual::
Restoring Your Microsoft® Windows Vista®
Operating System
You can restore your Windows Vista operating system in the following ways:
• Windows Vista includes the Backup and Restore Center to create backups
of important files on your computer or to back up the entire hard drive.
You can then restore your operating system or files if needed.
• Microsoft Windows System Restore returns your hard drive to an earlier
operating state without affecting data files. Use System Restore as the first
solution for restoring your operating system and preserving data files. For
instructions, see "Using Windows Vista System Restore" on page 125.
• Dell Factory Image Restore restores your hard drive to the operating state it
was in when you purchased the computer. Dell Factory Image Restore
permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any applications
installed after you received the computer. Use Factory Image Restore only if
System Restore did not resolve your operating system problem.
• If you received an Operating System disc with your computer, you can use
it to restore your operating system. However, using the Operating System
disc also deletes all data on the hard drive. Use the disc only if System
Restore did not resolve your operating system problem.

Source:: *support.ap.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsM1530/en/OM/RU3351D.zip
(Page 124)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom