[Macworld] The end of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The end of the world
Why Apple doomsayers are full of hooey
by John Moltz, Macworld.com | May 20, 2008 10:06 pm

Apparently some of you think that Apple’s about to go out of business; that its very existence is threatened; that fire, plague, and pestilence lie just around the corner for our favorite fruit-themed computer and consumer-electronics company. To which I say: What fight are you watching?

Let them eat cake

It may have started last summer, when there was much hand-wringing over the delay of Leopard. “Apple can’t scale to meet demand!” people moaned. One missed deadline and suddenly every Mac user is an operations-management expert.

Then some of you were disappointed that Apple didn’t follow up the iPhone with something equally game-changing—like a tablet PC. Or one of those $100 laptops. Or an even cooler iPhone with, um, lasers. Or maybe jet packs.

And while we’re at it, Apple never explicitly promised you free cake, but you really, really like free cake. So, Steve Jobs, where’s the free cake? Huh? Where? Is? The? Free? Cake?

What’s Apple done for you lately? The MacBook Air. Are you really going to throw your money away on a supposedly revolutionary laptop that at first glance appears to exist in only two dimensions? So what if it fits in an envelope? Does it smite your enemies? Where’s the smiting?

Then it was the iPhone software-development kit. When the iPhone was first released, everyone was all, “Oh, it will never sell without third-party programs.” (Of course, Apple sold millions of them.) But then—perhaps so he could sell millions more—Steve Jobs released an SDK. “Here!” he should have said. “Here’s your darn SDK! Now get off my lawn!”

But did you get off Steve’s lawn? No, you did not. You complained about the 30 percent take Apple was going to skim off the top of all iPhone software sales, about the fact that we’d be able to get programs only from the official iPhone App Store, about the noticeable absence of free cake. Read more…

[Via Macworld]

Rarely do I come across articles so obviously true, so spot on, blunt and hard hitting. It's a must read if ever there was one.

(Please don't start with the chants of “inappropriate section”.)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Half of my time is spent moaning if Steve would launch wat i want and the other half crying that he did not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom