Mac OS X is not user friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackerzlab

Journeyman
everyone is missing the point - the hardware. thats the difference.

no windows laptop: dell, vaio, hp, lenovo... etc cannot offer what macbook pro hardware has to offer at 60K

btw, i can always run windows xp/vista/7 like any other application (like i would run safari, firefox, itunes, etc) while running the mac OS. beat that. :twisted:

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getting used to Linux takes months.
Getting used to Windows takes a fortnight.
And getting used to a Mac takes minutes.

Thats newbie friendliness.

User friendliness is subjective.

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@hackerzlab.. you must be out of your mind..
MBP specs :-

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB DDR3
Onboard 9400 NVIDIA GFx
160 GB HDD

Now, let's se Dell Studio 15

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz (P8700) MBP has P7350
4 GB DDR2
250 GB HDD
ATI Radeon 4570

These all under 60k.. And there's that awesome Sony VAIO too..

Processor :- Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 (2.53 GHz)
RAM :- 4 GB DDR3
GFX :- NVIDIA GT230M (waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than 9400M)
HDD :- 320GB (twice that of MBP)

This one is for just Rs. 58k!!!
So please check the Apple's site first and then post.
PS :- The Sony VAIO CW comes loaded with Adobe Premiere Elements, Adobe Photoshop Elements and Roxio Media Creator.. which are way better than iMovie, iPhoto and if there is some iBurning iCrap loaded in MBP. It even has HDMI port if you want to hook it up to external display.. and the MBP has.. oh yeah.. the lousy mini-display port

And change your freaking name.. you're a disgust in the names of hackers who thinks that Mac OS X can't be installed on PC...

Last edited:

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are we comparing over here? Only the operating systems (the Thread title suggests so), so I think it would be better if everyone keeps the Hardware out of comparison. :)

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

no windows laptop: dell, vaio, hp, lenovo... etc cannot offer what macbook pro hardware has to offer at 60K
:lol: :lol: :lol:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
everyone is missing the point - the hardware. thats the difference.

btw, i can always run windows xp/vista/7 like any other application (like i would run safari, firefox, itunes, etc) while running the mac OS. beat that. :twisted:

for 65k, I now get a core i7 + HD4650 based laptop from Dell. In h/w PC hardware is much much better when compared to macs.

But yes, when it comes to UI, it certainly is user friendly. For someone who has been on windows for whole life, it takes some time in getting used to.

Use Solaris and you will know how a user-unfriendly OS looks like :)

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
For someone who has been on windows for whole life, it takes some time in getting used to.
I've bought a Mac mini. I had never touched a Mac before. Within 15 minutes, I was totally familiar with the environment.

For me, Snow Leopard has been 'that' user friendly. Seriously.

I've been using Windows 7 since over a month. And again, I had never touched Vista before switching to 7. And it took me around 2 weeks to get used to Windows 7.

Being a FOSS enthusiast, I'll admit that getting used to Linux takes a few months. You'll actually have to install something like Arch to understand basic things about Linux more clearly.

Currently using: Arch Linux (primary), Windows 7 on Acer Aspire 5630 and Snow Leopard (might become my Primary OS) on Mac mini.

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@ico.. I'm too FOSS enthusiast... and no, it doesn't requires you to install Arch to learn basic things about Linux.. my dad is using Ubuntu on his laptop since the days of 8.04 and he never complains anything..

But, installing Arch is a pleasure.. you can learn how the entire OS works when you install it... on the other hand, Mac OS X is so tightly guarded by Apple that you can never guess what is going where, what's happening to all the threads etc.. they took all the good things from FOSS like BSD kernel, KHTML from Konqueror and most importantly they took GCC to make their XCode which allows them to make apps.. and they charge you for becoming a developer.. What a shame!!

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
and they charge you for becoming a developer.. What a shame!!

Ya thats something i thought apple should have thought about. It would have given some more dimension, though 99$ is not much for a developer but still.

Krow

Crowman
$99 = ~Rs. 5000. Way too much for trying to help make something better (unless of course you get like 10 times the amount in return).

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ico.. I'm too FOSS enthusiast... and no, it doesn't requires you to install Arch to learn basic things about Linux.. my dad is using Ubuntu on his laptop since the days of 8.04 and he never complains anything..

But, installing Arch is a pleasure.. you can learn how the entire OS works when you install it...
I never said that it requires Arch to learn basic things about Linux.

A one day installation of Arch gave me the experience which I would have got after using Ubuntu for months.

Arch was my first distribution. I took the harder way, I think learning curve was faster for me due to that.

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

and they charge you for becoming a developer.. What a shame!!

Ya thats something i thought apple should have thought about. It would have given some more dimension, though 99$ is not much for a developer but still.

$99 = ~Rs. 5000. Way too much for trying to help make something better (unless of course you get like 10 times the amount in return).
Agreed. But thats for iPhone SDK and iPhone OS development. Xcode is free and is used for OS X development. I think that I've got Xcode in the other DVD which I received with my Mac mini.

But the topic is Mac OS X is not user friendly. We are going a lot offtopic.

Last edited:
Mac OS X is a lot more user friendly than any other OS. I've used Arch Linux, Ubuntu, Windows 7 and Leopard and I find Leopard the most user friendly and usable OS. It's very secure, looks great, has tons of great applications and most of all it 'works'.
It's not that I'm a apple fanboy or I hate Windows. In fact I use Windows 7 Ultimate as my primary OS on my PC. Heck I even bought the original copy! If you're into gaming then there's no alternative to Windows but for everything else Mac pwns Windows or Linux for that matter. It's only gaming that still makes me go back to Windows. If it weren't for gaming I'd be a full time Mac user by now.
People don't realize the awesomeness of Mac or Mac OS X until they use it. Take ico for an example. He's started to see Snow Leopard as his primary OS already. I'm sure that sooner or later he'll shift to Mac OS X as his primary OS as I don't see he's much into gaming except Urban Terror which works natively on Mac OS X.
For comments like 'people who bought a Mac got ripped off and all that jibber jabber', above explanation is the best. You need to use it to believe it.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
^ Yeah.. that's why Mac gets hacked even before Windows every time at Hackerfest.. or what ever is that.. Charlie Miller hacked Mac firstly in 2 minutes and then in 10 seconds.. and you Macboys then talk about security...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom