Linux Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday i tried the orange box on linux and every game ran quite well!just had to tweak wine a bit.Some games required Dx9.0c.I was unable to find a perfect tut to install dx9 on ubuntu but then wine doors -(a softaware to make wine more user friendly)came to rescue.I just clicked on Dx9 and it installed it in seconds.
Now i can run games like GUN,OB(Dx9 mode) spiderman 2, without any probs !!ill try harry potter and the order of phoenix now:D
You can get wine doors here
*linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Emulators/wine-doors-12427.shtml
GUN screenies-
*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/6316/Screenshotd.png

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/6315/aw.png

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/6314/Screenshot.png

Full view- *www.imgx.org/public/viewset/2476

BTW cedega sux big time!!Play on linux is better.

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
will COD 4 work?
yes it will, it might require some compiling to add a patch to it. But if you are using the latest version of WIne I think that it should be fixed in there.

will COD 4 work?
yeah but it will require too much of patching,compiling and all that pain!

good going.....:p I will also try but almost all games i have need dx9.0c
u can install Dx9.0c via wine-doors or here is a full howto- *wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/11/directx-90c-on-linux-with-wine.html
I prefer doing it via wine doors.I have provided the DL link in my 1st post.

Its not that simple as saying yup.Its pain and multiplayer wont work due to lack of punkbuster support.:mad:

yes it will, it might require some compiling to add a patch to it. But if you are using the latest version of WIne I think that it should be fixed in there.
I have teh latest version of wine isntalled but havent tried COD 4 yet.willl try and post results:)

Pfft.. you should have named the thread 'Ubuntu Gaming'.
y?wine,cedega and playonlinux are also there for other distros and we can discuss all linux related probs here:)

You mean linux, right? C,mon man I am sure it applies to linux in general. Ubuntu is a distribution. Linux is the operating system that rocks.
yeah right:D

The only game I play on my linux box is Battle for Wesnoth.! Will be playing Urban Terror soon.:D
try UrT for sure,its the best open source MP game i've ever played.BTW how is battle for wesnoth?

^^?
BTW u guys shud try playonlinux.Some guy on this forum told me that it is better than cedega.
u can find it on www.playonlinux.com

i have some probs with OB with dx 9 mode.Gun and some other dx9 games run quite fine but OB ran only once and after that it gave me an error(xxx game needs the latest version of dx) where as it runs fine on dx8.1 mode.when will dx9.0c be there in wine by default??

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
wait for my screenies too :D
will install a few games.

Will Halo 2 work on Wine :sarcastic: nevermind the vista exclusives are really vista exclusives ?

wait for my screenies too :D
will install a few games.

Will Halo 2 work on Wine :sarcastic: nevermind the vista exclusives are really vista exclusives ?
halo2??OMG!!dont have dat high expectations with linux.

holy ****!!ill have to install dx 9 manually coz winedoors is giving some error.:mad:
anybody knows an easy method to install dx9 on linux?

YAY!!finally DX9.0C working toooo fine!!
i followed the howto method coz winedoors was causing probs
and it fugging worked!!
just emulate to win 2000 coz dx 9 wont install properly on xp and then later change it to xp in wine.
here r some screenies-
*www.imgx.org/pfiles/6319/Screenshot.png

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/6320/Screenshot-1.png

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
.The latest version you can install is 9.58 usually in Ubuntu you get 9.54 if IM correct. Hardy heron comes with 9.58 there sre some thingts not supported in 9.58 as 9.57 like bink decompression (is that what it is called?).

You can play MP as long as you don't logon to PB enabled servers. Although you might only find a few for whatever game you are on.

If you are into RTS games then battle for Wesnoth is a must. Especially if you like the story factor :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom