Linux Friendly Companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Well ATi and nVidia already there with Linux drivers for their gfx cards but what about rest?

Motherboard Mfgers? Chipset makers and all.

Most of the incompatible stuff is linked with "onboard" :-x

So next time if a guy wants to go for a Linux friendly upgrade which Companies hardware to be preffered? :confused:

I didnt had a good experience with Asus Mobos with Linux. My Older VIA boards were working like chram -.-

Rahim

Married!
Dont know about GPUs but HP are well supported for printers and NEVER go for Lexmark.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Keep away from USB A/DSL CPEs, any company! And still Intel GMA 3x00 are blacklisted for CompizF. Also avoid WinModems (any company).

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I didnt had a good experience with Asus Mobos with Linux. My Older VIA boards were working like chram -.-

Ours was a special case. The problems are more based on the components you have on it .

Intel / Realtek High Definition Audio. (If you update Alsa Realktek will be fine)
Onboard Via Graphics
SAA713x chipset base TV Tuners
USB Modems
Internal Modems.
Synching Nokia Phones

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I was talking abt my last config. Still this current isnt walk in park :D

Add to it "ZiP Sys" Webcams. Certified for not working on practically any current distro [Atlease oout of the box]

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Add to it "ZiP Sys" Webcams. Certified for not working on practically any current distro [Atlease oout of the box]

Hmm Not sure about out of box. But Im sure Ive seen quite a few folks posting that they were able to get their webcams to work. Most webcams use the same chipset or internals anyway. However I dont have one so i cant confirm :( .

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Well which companies actually offer a Linux Driver for their products?
nVidia, ATi already do that. Anyone else? Mobo Mfgers? Sound Card Companies?

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
But they are totally different entity. They are not part of any of the Companies.

I would like to know which companies do provide Driver for their own hardware for linux platform

praka123

left this forum longback
^many companies support Xorg by giving specs,driver codes afaik.and ALSA is the audio driver which also works as above.in few cases reverse engineering to get a driver also is used esp wireless cards and for VIA Unichrome IGP www.openchrome.org does the same.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Stay away from motherboards which have ATi onboard. It sucks on linux! I had a really hard time to get stuff working.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Asus has Mobo Drivers on the CD? omg. I go check again

Yes they do. But I wouldn't try it unless you are extremely adventurous. If you do let me know how it went. Cause I never tried the same :D !

exx_2000 said:
Yes they do. But I wouldn't try it unless you are extremely adventurous. If you do let me know how it went. Cause I never tried the same :D !
If they work well, we all will remember to buy Asus mobos and XFX 8800 GS cards for the next few months along with x86/x64/AMD64 processor with support for multithreading and multipe cores for all our needs.

Infact, motherboards are the only things in India which we want to support linux. Good Cards(read cheap and fast) like nVidia support linux. Most processors support it. RAMs work on all configs. No one really bothers to use USB internet unless they got lappys. Wireless Keyboards and Mices work well too, but many still shy away from them.

Good mobos are usually from ASUS. So I wish we soon get out of box support for ASUS boards in OSes like Ububtu, Debian, Red Hat, SuSE, Mandriva, Slackware, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom