Linux Customization

nims11

BIOS Terminator
@utkarsh yup, nice to see you here.
@all I am currently using a very ancient laptop with a 1.6Ghz processor and 256MB ram as my PC's monitor has blown off. I am dual booting Mint 10 with XP and am using Xfce in MINT but i still need some performance boost. i usually do programming and watch movies in MINT. any suggestions?

utkarsh009

In the zone
^^yah some distros have brasero preinstalled. although there is a cd burning tool in kde which i like more because it has support for multisession disks whereas most of them do not have this capability. i still use nero in xp for burning cd because once i had wasted 4 cd's in burning a single image with brasero and it failed to burn properly everytime. better use rewritable cd's to check whether the image or files are burning properly or not.

@nims11: people say that fedora is distro for true programmers. it uses rpm packages and yum is the package manager. but its installation has quite complex options which i did not understand but i know that you know all those stuff. secondly, all the partitins are under lvm (logical volume management) and i was not able to set up a dual boot with ubuntu (maybe there is some option somwhere. find it out). i am sure u will find it interesting. you can find its image on digit december dvd (or maybe some other month's dvd, i dont remember.). try it out and post your experience. also some people say that softwares are released first for fedora and then for other distros!!!!!!!!!

@nims11: people say that fedora is the distro for true programmers. it uses rpm packages and yum is the package manager. but its installation has quite complex options which i did not understand but i know that you know all those stuff. secondly, all the partitions are under lvm (logical volume management) and i was not able to set up a dual boot with ubuntu (maybe there is some option somwhere. find it out). i am sure u will find it interesting. you can find its image on digit december dvd (or maybe some other month's dvd, i dont remember.). try it out and post your experience. also some people say that softwares are released first for fedora and then for other distros!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

nims11

BIOS Terminator
^^WINE might be able to run it.
@utkarsh i once tried Fedora in my PC(I installed it in my portable HDD and it was screwed when once i by accident directly pulled out its plug) and i liked it. I am still not a heavy programmer and i am comfortable with any environment. I got loads of distros to experiment after my boards nd competitive exams. :D

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
No use of running Foobar in Wine. Just use Rythmbox in GNOME or Amarok in KDE (my favourite). Although in Windows I still prefer Foobar.

does Linux has inbuilt Cd burning software?
You can use Google for this.

When you install Ubuntu, it gets installed with ALL the basic softwares which you need - Firefox, OpenOffice.org, Rythmbox (music management), Brasero (CD/DVD burner) and many more.

Start reading blog posts from this page in reverse order, it will sort out your "basic" queries: *www.linoob.com/page/10/

Or just read these links in sequential order. (2 years old and outdated posts though)

*www.linoob.com/2009/04/landing-on-planet-ubuntu/
*www.linoob.com/2009/05/135/
*www.linoob.com/2009/05/sudo-installing-packages/
*www.linoob.com/2009/06/basic-applications/

Anand_Tux

Journeyman
For beginners Linux Mint 10 GNOME is perfect, I am using Mint 10 for quite some time and it rocks.

Anand_Tux

Journeyman
^^yah some distros have brasero preinstalled. although there is a cd burning tool in kde which i like more because it has support for multisession disks whereas most of them do not have this capability. i still use nero in xp for burning cd because once i had wasted 4 cd's in burning a single image with brasero and it failed to burn properly everytime. better use rewritable cd's to check whether the image or files are burning properly or not.

@nims11: people say that fedora is distro for true programmers. it uses rpm packages and yum is the package manager. but its installation has quite complex options which i did not understand but i know that you know all those stuff. secondly, all the partitins are under lvm (logical volume management) and i was not able to set up a dual boot with ubuntu (maybe there is some option somwhere. find it out). i am sure u will find it interesting. you can find its image on digit december dvd (or maybe some other month's dvd, i dont remember.). try it out and post your experience. also some people say that softwares are released first for fedora and then for other distros!!!!!!!!!

@nims11: people say that fedora is the distro for true programmers. it uses rpm packages and yum is the package manager. but its installation has quite complex options which i did not understand but i know that you know all those stuff. secondly, all the partitions are under lvm (logical volume management) and i was not able to set up a dual boot with ubuntu (maybe there is some option somwhere. find it out). i am sure u will find it interesting. you can find its image on digit december dvd (or maybe some other month's dvd, i dont remember.). try it out and post your experience. also some people say that softwares are released first for fedora and then for other distros!!!!!!!!!

Fedora is indeed a tough distro but over the years it has become very easy & very popular thanks to the fedora community. It's popularity is due to the fact that Fedora always comes with latest softwares & technologies like the Fedora 15 coming with Gnome 3 etc.

abhijangda

Padawan

No it's not that Fedora is the distro only for true programmers, although it contains many preinstalled tools required for programming. It can be used by beginners also.
Yes, it's installation has quite complex options but that are not that much complex which will prevent a beginner to install it.
Also, it's not that softwares are released for Fedora first and then for others but Fedora is the first one to release those softwares in it's final version. That's why Fedora is sometimes called somewhat unstable distro but the one with all latest softwares. Fedora is the first one to try those in it's final release.!!

tejjammy

Journeyman
Fedora is nice but the only problem is the size of its installation disc(>4GB) which makes it bit problematic to download on our *special* internet connections.
Also if you are interested in customisation, ubuntu is much easier. see the video YouTube - Mac OS theme on Ubuntu

Krow

Crowman
Slightly offtopic: For maintenance in Ubuntu, try Ubuntu Tweak.

Neuron

Electronic.
The only problem I have with linux is that there are no sound enhancement utility like DFX.I'm getting poor or uneasy bass on headphones.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, you can try PulseAudio Multiband Equalizer in Ubuntu.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Fedora is nice but the only problem is the size of its installation disc(>4GB) which makes it bit problematic to download on our *special* internet connections.
Also if you are interested in customisation, ubuntu is much easier. see the video YouTube - Mac OS theme on Ubuntu

There's a CD image also.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Can it be used to install too? i thought it was just for live desktop :duh2:

Yes.Installation Quick Start Guide

Doesn't contain software like OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice, but it's still a pretty functional desktop. And you can always install with yum.

tejjammy

Journeyman
Yes.Installation Quick Start Guide

Doesn't contain software like OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice, but it's still a pretty functional desktop. And you can always install with yum.

Well im currently running Ubuntu Maverick so will try fedora when i will update next time.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I just love this scroll bar thingy
*i.imgur.com/qrsQZ.jpg