Learn photography with me

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ :D

I have little doubt about something. I will clear it before resuming. I will contact some of you guys through PM and clarify it...

x---------------x---------------x---------------x---------------x

CHAPTER 4: POINTS

Points are the simplest visual elements and therefore make a useful starting point for exercises that enhance visual awareness. Although the geometric point is invisible, the book broadly defines a point for the purposes of photographic composition as any object that occupies a small fraction of the area of an image, generally less than 1 percent. Most of the exercises in this chapter involve incorporating single and multiple points in ways that require the photographer to explore and apply perceptual concepts to specific situations. One benefit of doing exercises involving points is that they teach photographers to be aware of small elements. Points can also be visualized in ways that aid in photographing difficult subjects such as sports photography.

I guess you guys have this book, so you can follow, right?

We can discuss about the exercises, how we can do it and all... And after taking pictures post them here for discussion/critic about the photographs taken for the exercises.

Exercise 9: Rocks

The author has explained in detail about this exercise from the subject to setting up. Read them and work on this exercise. When done post your work. And google for some more information, it will help to getting some ideas of how we can do this exercise.

lm2k

Journeyman
^^ the most challenging part of the above exercise is to depict the rocks in their natural environment(how they relate to other elements in the scene) and means by which we could make them appear as subject.
also the shape, colour or features like texture or grooves, etc. should not be given too much importance.

tried some today but unfortunately left IS off , so many of shots i took came very soft. I ll try more and post. here are some .
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7409/8959660397_ecac09760f_z.jpg
sx150is. iso-400 ,f/5.6 for 1/40 th of sec from 336mm(35mm eq) focal length.
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7324/8960867100_2d9fbcdaf8_z.jpg
sx150is. iso-400 ,f/4.5 for 1/25 th of sec from 105mm(35mm eq) focal length.
any critique or coments are welcome.

Last edited:
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Weekend is over and I don't know when I am going to complete this exercise. If I don't see any progress in another two days, probably I move on to the next exercise. :)

lm2k

Journeyman
^ Weekend is over and I don't know when I am going to complete this exercise. If I don't see any progress in another two days, probably I move on to the next exercise. :)
any exercise taken up here will never be completed, because after sometime we would find that there is much room for improvement and this will continue for a very long period(at personal level). but as the author says "perfection is neither attainable nor desirable" ;so just keep moving forward .:p

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
As I haven't find an interesting setting for the exercise ROCKS, I keep it as pending and moving on to the next one.

Exercise 10: Signs that make a point

Think I can do this. But let see...

There are good informations in the book about the exercise. Google to get some ideas. I will post my work when I am done.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Yeah, I will sure do that as soon as I complete this chapter. Thanks for reminding.

I have these ideas for this exercise "Signs that make a point"
NO PARKING - where we see vehicles parked
Pedestrian crossing the road when the RED light is on
BOATING sign where there is no water in the lake

I think there is a lot we can come up with. I guess I won't leave this exercise "pending".

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac after finishing ur tutorials here...i found an amazing book of photography ideas and geners ....would love to share after ur book is completed :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
nac after finishing ur tutorials here...i found an amazing book of photography ideas and geners ....would love to share after ur book is completed :)
Sure. That will be interesting.

^^ are you guys sure there will be no problem with the copyright thingy ??

No. No body is here posting the contents of the book. We are just discussing how we can do the exercises and will share how we did it. If you are asking about the earlier posts, those contents are available publicly on online, thus there is no violation. And the book's preview is available to everyone, sharing them is no violation (First two chapters, given the link when I started the first chapter).

Thanks for asking.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
sujoyp didn't mention anything about the content being same with the book. so? :)
on a side note, this is an excellent attempt by nac. sort of a crash course on photography.

Thank you. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
No no I am not going to copy paste anything directly ...the book have a new topic every other page and setup...I will put them here in easy words ;)

ajay600

Broken In
can some one also help with photoshop tutorials for most common things like enhancing the color contrast, blur background, and other frequently used editing techniques...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ I don't know a lot about editing and photoshop is an ocean. There are lots to learn...

Any of guys tried rocks or signs...

lm2k

Journeyman
As I haven't find an interesting setting for the exercise ROCKS, I keep it as pending and moving on to the next one.

Exercise 10: Signs that make a point

Think I can do this. But let see...

There are good informations in the book about the exercise. Google to get some ideas. I will post my work when I am done.

the author says we must add humans which some how relate with the sign board and the size of the sign board must not be too large, since it has to act as point.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I went out for location scouting :D (it's too big word) :rofl:

I had this idea :idea: in my mind when I was reading "signs". There is this sign NO PARKING where people (including me :ashamed:) park our vehicles. I thought this would be a good one for beginners. And there is this boat club near by my place. As there is no water in the lake, the sign would be an excellent one for this exercise. Unfortunately, both the signs are removed. :(

I was disappointed, and took an u-turn and returning back. Suddenly, I see rocks at the bottom of the drought lake. Yeah, I found a location for the exercise ROCKS. I clicked some photographs, but had to return as my battery drained completely :mad:. Does battery drain fast when we are out in the sun for long time?

I will go back again after sunset or before sunrise. It's too much heat to do photo shoot out in this sun and that too in the summer. :x

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Exercise 11: Still lifes

I am sure every one can do this. No need to go out for location scouting, but still a challenging exercise. I am thinking of where to find a good backdrop in my old house... And please post your work when done.
Lm2k, Just now I am seeing your picture when scrolling to see the exercise no. :) When you edit your post, we don't get to know that you have edited your post. So make a new post and share the links of your pictures.

Second is a good one. I like it a lot... A nice story in the picture. :thumbs:

Exercise: 9 Rocks
I couldn't go other day to photos of rocks as there was some rain in my place. Yesterday evening I went there. It was a overcast day, lights are diffused and spread across evenly. Nice lighting I should say... There were about a dozen people around the lake looking at me, it wasn't comfortable I know that people are looking at me and see what I do.:neutral: I think this is the third I am saying it. Better I get used to it...

Lighting was perfect, I took some time to evaluate the setting. I thought I am "seeing" and started taking photographs. Then I started taking pictures at quick intervals, but the idea was to take few minutes before clicking. But I lost that along the way and I realized this after I returned back to my place.:( Shouldn't get distracted and try to focus on the work from next time. I am posting three pictures from simple to complex (in my view). The last one (the complex) was shot on the other day. It was bright and sunny day, shot in the mid of the day. Used flash to fill the shadows.

Single point was ok but the multiple elements coming into the frame was little complex. How the viewer would see the subject, I didn't want the viewer's attention to take away by these secondary elements away from the dominant, in this case ROCKS. Please leave comments about these photographs.

*imageshack.us/a/img856/1589/img0962ok.jpg

*imageshack.us/a/img109/5980/img0947uu.jpg

*imageshack.us/a/img802/4697/img0940q.jpg

Top Bottom