Laptop usage...

Suhas

Broken In
I recently bought a new laptop. This is my first laptop;I was using desktop before.

My question is:
Is it ok to keep my Laptop constantly connected to power outlet even fully charged? OR
Do I run it on battery always and charge it when it required ? OR
Do I have to do some hybrid like connect to power source only when doing certain kind of work ?
Which of the above 3 options is the best way to increase my laptop battery life ?

My laptop details:
DELL Studio 1558
Intel Core i5 M450 2.4 GHz
4GB RAM
320 GB 7200 rpm HDD
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
Windows 7 Professional

Usage:
1. Play games
2. Watch movies, videos
3. Do Development/programming work (I'm a software professional)
4. Planning to develop games (as a hobby)

P.S: Just out of curiosity, does the same apply to alienware laptops that are meant for gaming..?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ get the lappy on till its battery almost out. than put it in charge. else the adapter may overheat.

you should have brought lappy with HD5650 graphics. HD5470 is kind of a bit too slow. though the processor is fast.

OP
S

Suhas

Broken In
Thanks.
I did try to get a better graphics card, but DELL did not provide any option to choose a different card. Maybe after 2-3 yrs I will upgrade.... sigh!

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
u can also remove your battery and use AC supply wheneva u are at home..
and wheneva u wanna go out wid laptop den use the battery.. dis will increase ur battery life too

***condition -- if dere is sum power cut issue.. avoid removing battery...

OP
S

Suhas

Broken In
and wheneva u wanna go out wid laptop den use the battery.. dis will increase ur battery life too

Thanks... but will my DELL laptop's warranty be void if I remove the battery by myself... ?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
See my responses in red to below.

I recently bought a new laptop. This is my first laptop;I was using desktop before.

My question is:
Is it ok to keep my Laptop constantly connected to power outlet even fully charged? OR Yes you can keep it connected even when fully charged. All modern laptop have the mechanism to stop charging once the battery is full. Similar to cell phones.
Do I run it on battery always and charge it when it required ? OR It is your choice, what ever you want to run it on. Battery or A/C. It is a LAPTOP. The USP is 'mobility'. So you do not need to be near a power socket always similar to a workstation.
Do I have to do some hybrid like connect to power source only when doing certain kind of work ? Same as above. It will never draw power from both sources ; battery and external power.
Which of the above 3 options is the best way to increase my laptop battery life ? Just use at as you require. Remember it is a laptop. Not a workstation. If near a power socket keep it plugged. If you want to be comfortable run on battery.

My laptop details:
DELL Studio 1558
Intel Core i5 M450 2.4 GHz
4GB RAM
320 GB 7200 rpm HDD
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
Windows 7 Professional

Usage:
1. Play games
2. Watch movies, videos
3. Do Development/programming work (I'm a software professional)
4. Planning to develop games (as a hobby)

P.S: Just out of curiosity, does the same apply to alienware laptops that are meant for gaming..?

Quite a dumb thing to say. To remove the battery. Why..? It is being super duper miser. Please.

Thanks... but will my DELL laptop's warranty be void if I remove the battery by myself... ?

No it will not void warranty. Unless you damage the socket physically while removing or placing -- which I doubt you would. But no use removing the battery, unless there is a problem and you need to replace.

Top Bottom