Laptop needed.... Strictly below 40k

bee

Journeyman
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
35-40k (inr obviouslyt :p)

2) screen size
Mainstream; 15" - 16"
14" is the last resort

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Gaming, solid edge, Catia, and gaming again.
All the titles after 2012 till as long as the newer games can run

5) Any typical cionfiguration in your mind you're eying for ? I've jo idea what it should be :p

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: some company with a nice after sales service
b. Dislike:
No such preferences

5) Anything else you would like to say?- it should be sturdy enough to get me through for 3-4 years at least

6) Screen resolution - HD minimum

7) Battery back up - normal / 4 cell will so too

8) Purchase place - preferably chandigarh otherwise flipkart or snapdeal

I've this laptop in mind::
HP 15 103tx
Looks good on paper

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
As per your requirements, a laptop is a very poor choice. You can't get a laptop which can handle Catia and Solid Edge well. A desktop is suggested.
For a laptop to handle Catia and Solid Edge well, you need to spend at least 1.5 lakh+ to get one with a Nvidia Quaddro card.

Nevertheless a Lenovo G500 is suggested if you are hell bent on buying a laptop in this budget.

OP
bee

bee

Journeyman
Ain't the one I mentioned(HP 15 103tx) better than g500?

- - - Updated - - -

And could you please tell me what I would possibly be missing in terms of using those softwares on a 40k laptop (just for info; portability is a necessity)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Both laptops are more or less the same in terms of hardware performance. Lenovo wins in better build quality.

The softwares you mentioned do a heavy amount of parallel computing. For this a graphics card with a with a good no. of parallel processors(CUDA cores in Nvidia cards) is required. The highest end Nvidia Quaddro card has 1536 CUDA cores of Kepler architecture.

The one you are buying, HP 103tx, has 96 CUDA cores of Fermi architecture(old). It will be very inefficient at handling parallel processing. Lenovo G500 is still better off with AMD 8570M with 384 parallel processors, however AMD cores are weaker than Nvidia cores(but more in number which is beneficial here).

A Nvidia Quaddro card is better than a Nvidia Geforce card for parallel computing(even though equal models have same amount of CUDA cores) because of drivers specially designed for working with CAD programs.

- - - Updated - - -

I am Assuming you need the laptop for Mechanical Engineering.

OP
bee

bee

Journeyman
True that :D
Mechanical student here

But I have a doubt, won't the i5 make any difference in terms of overall performance?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
This one has core i5
Lenovo Essential G500 (59-370339) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Rs.39799 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Essential G500 (59-370339) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Black Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

OP
bee

bee

Journeyman
Thanks mate!
And I'll try if possible for a desktop
Better option right?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=153916]bee[/MENTION]
MUSS MUSS better.

Get a desktop for gaming/CAD programs(keep it in the dorm) and a el cheapo laptop for portable stuff.
BTW which college did you get admission in?

OP
bee

bee

Journeyman
I guess I'll buy a desktop then
You could suggest a good config?

- - - Updated - - -

Nd I'm in pec chandigarh
:D

ankush28

Bazinga
As per your requirements, a laptop is a very poor choice. You can't get a laptop which can handle Catia and Solid Edge well. A desktop is suggested.
For a laptop to handle Catia and Solid Edge well, you need to spend at least 1.5 lakh+ to get one with a Nvidia Quaddro card.

Nevertheless a Lenovo G500 is suggested if you are hell bent on buying a laptop in this budget.

I agree with this post. Solid edge and Catia both are heavily processor, gpu and power hungry. I know cause it takes ages to close sketch in Solid edge on my laptop.(i5-3320M based). i7-3770 in my office does it in matter of seconds :cool:

OP
bee

bee

Journeyman
It's back to square one
Going out to see laptops with brother
Couldn't convince dad for a desktop [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] one last suggestion please
Budget now up to 45k
Please help
Fast!!

- - - Updated - - -

*bump

Top Bottom