Laptop for 4K Video Editing ~Budget 60k~

IamMrH

Broken In
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

60,000/-

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

13 - 15 inch

Already own a i7 870/8GB/GTX570 PC hence looking for portability.

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Video Editing (4K Videos) (Premiere pro,hence only nvidia Cuda is imp),Graphic Design, a bit of Gaming.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

ASUS ROG GL552JX-DM087D, Core i7-4720HQ, 4GB/1TB, 15.6" Full HD, 4GB Graphics from Garg Enterprises on eBay.

The seller says it has international warranty but in a forum someone didn't get international warranty (link). Not sure about the country.

• The laptop is purchased in Thailand & the keyboard has thai printed on it. Can i change the keyboard (at my own cost) with only english later ?
  • Is there any differences in power inputs of Thai & India ?
  • I buying an imported laptop safe ? Anyone has claimed warranty of these imported laptops ?
  • How good is 4GB DDR3 GPU vs DDR5 GPUs ?
  • How safe will the laptop be while shipping from delhi to bangalore ?
  • Any Pros & Cons i need to be aware of ?

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Asus,Lenevo,HP
b. Dislike: Dell,Apple

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution - 1080p (Full HD)
Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) / extended (5-7hrs) )
Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local

I am open to suggestions and cannot import as i require the laptop with in a week.

Should i upgrade my PC & get a sleeker portable laptop with i3/Celeron processor ?

Last edited:

PrasOnWeb

Broken In
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

60,000/-

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

13 - 15 inch

Already own a i7 870/8GB/GTX570 PC hence looking for portability.

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Video Editing (4K Videos) (Premiere pro,hence only nvidia Cuda is imp),Graphic Design, a bit of Gaming.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

ASUS ROG GL552JX-DM087D, Core i7-4720HQ, 4GB/1TB, 15.6" Full HD, 4GB Graphics from Garg Enterprises on eBay.

The seller says it has international warranty but in a forum someone didn't get international warranty (link). Not sure about the country.

• The laptop is purchased in Thailand & the keyboard has thai printed on it. Can i change the keyboard (at my own cost) with only english later ?
  • Is there any differences in power inputs of Thai & India ?
  • I buying an imported laptop safe ? Anyone has claimed warranty of these imported laptops ?
  • How good is 4GB DDR3 GPU vs DDR5 GPUs ?
  • How safe will the laptop be while shipping from delhi to bangalore ?
  • Any Pros & Cons i need to be aware of ?

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Asus,Lenevo,HP
b. Dislike: Dell,Apple

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution - 1080p (Full HD)
Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) / extended (5-7hrs) )
Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local

I am open to suggestions and cannot import as i require the laptop with in a week.

Should i upgrade my PC & get a sleeker portable laptop with i3/Celeron processor ?

Hi,

I looked for several laptops. Finally, I went ahead yesterday & ordered the same laptop ASUS ROG GL552JX-DM087D from ebay . I will post the review once I receive it. Frankly speaking, this is the most VFM you could get for the the budget of 60K. It has 7200rpm hdd which is mostly not there in other laptops(5400rpm normally). Please also note that OS is dos in ebay listing so you might have to shell out for that incase you are not having any licensed OS already. Processor is awesome (4720 HQ).

My thought is that we should always go for higher capable processor while buying a laptop( as adding a ssd for booting, and extra Ram will make the system future proof for considerable time).
In future, I will add an SSD for booting(a 128 gb ssd will cost around 4k) & probably increase the Ram from 4 gb to 12GB(by adding a stick of 8GB, will cost 4k extra- better as 12gb is too much & much much more than required) or 16 gb(by removing the 4gb ram & adding two 8 gb ram, will cost around 8k). So, for another 8k or so, I get the best config that we can get in the market. Total VFM.

Regards,
Prashant

OP
I

IamMrH

Broken In
Hi,

I looked for several laptops. Finally, I went ahead yesterday & ordered the same laptop ASUS ROG GL552JX-DM087D from ebay . Prashant

cheers. placed an order too and its shipped.

I will post the review once I receive it. Frankly speaking, this is the most VFM you could get for the the budget of 60K. It has 7200rpm hdd which is mostly not there in other laptops(5400rpm normally).

That is the one of the reasons i ordered this. Still in doubt about this as Asus website says its 5400RPM.

Please also note that OS is dos in ebay listing so you might have to shell out for that incase you are not having any licensed OS already. Processor is awesome (4720 HQ).

I already have 1 windows 7 license & 1 windows 8 license which is not activated yet. Waiting for Win 10 upgrade.

My thought is that we should always go for higher capable processor while buying a laptop( as adding a ssd for booting, and extra Ram will make the system future proof for considerable time). In future, I will add an SSD for booting(a 128 gb ssd will cost around 4k)

Which SSD do you suggest ? i may add it asap. Also do we have to remove the optical drive or just add the SSD ?

& probably increase the Ram from 4 gb to 12GB(by adding a stick of 8GB, will cost 4k extra- better as 12gb is too much & much much more than required) or 16 gb(by removing the 4gb ram & adding two 8 gb ram, will cost around 8k). So, for another 8k or so, I get the best config that we can get in the market. Total VFM.

Regards,
Prashant

If 1 4GB & 1 8Gb installed, will it perform well ? what about the dual channel memory advantage ?

View attachment 15635
View attachment 15636

Do i have to install all the bluetooth & wifi drivers or just 1 (check the images) ?

Top Bottom