Laptop Failing - Should I buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hey Guys, my dad has a DV6000 series laptop (AMD CPU with Nvidia GFX) . I don't use the laptop at all, only my dad or my brother uses it. I recently notices there is a strange crackling noise. it happens only sometimes. I haven't heard this same noise in any HDD failures before.. they laptop still works fine without any issues.. but I think its time has come.

I have replaced the batteries multiple times, current one doesn't hold the charge for more than 5 minutes.. the chipset or GFX was replaced(paid 5K for that) about a year or two ago, the current HDD is not the one original installed.. I feel that the core hardware can be used for another one year till it completely fails..

so questions is.. should I get just the parts or just but a new laptop?? ..

PS: ill give the correct model name after reaching home..

EDIT: My dad has more than 50 GB of data :-? need to save those on a external disc..

saswat23

Human Spambot
Old HPs are know to have such battery problem. Continue using it till the last. Spending for new parts on this old lappy is just a big waste of money.
Save all your data to DVDs. Around 11-12 DVDs will do.

Flash

Lost in speed
Guessing DV6000 is HP PAVILION DV6000, my suggestion is to go for a NEW ONE (as DV6000 is pretty old)

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
the exact model is DV6602 AU

brief specs
15.4” WXGA HD Widescreen (1280 x 800)
1.90 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M - I think there was Major Complaint from others using this GFX processor.
I upgraded the RAM to 3 GB and HDD to 500GB(I think - will confirm tonight)
DVD Drive is not working so using a external DVD drive.
Battery is dead..

but still it works fine even though its a 5 yr old laptop :p

Im not sure what alternate use this laptop will be once I buy a new one .. :-?

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Already have a Media Player with that feature :p ..

anyway

@Sam Please lock the thread.. I'v decided to go for a new laptop.. here is the thread..

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-n...laptop-home-use-research-future-purchase.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom