Laptop around 55k

I am planning to buy a laptop for Work and occasional gaming purpose. After going through various posts, i think Dell XPS 15 or XPS 17 solves my purpose. But Hp Dv6-6165tx looks good too. So, i need suggestions and 60k is the last limit. I cant go above that.

Purpose : Work mostly. Production applications like SIMULINK, Scilab, OrCad, AutoCad-Electrical, Matlab & PSCAD. VMware workstation, Visual Studio, Photoshop and Dreamweaver etc are occasionally used.
Assuming i get time, i would prefer playing high end games like Crysis 2, COD MW3, NFS The Run etc.

Overall Budget: 55K +/- 5k

OS: Win7 and Ubuntu [32 bit preferred]. Most of the software i use for regular work don't properly work on 64 bit systems except Matlab.

Preference: I would like to stick to Nvidia cards as ATI sometimes have driver issues in Ubuntu.

CPU : Intel core i7.

Hard disk : 1 TB or more required. (WD & 7200rpm if possible)

RAM: Since i prefer 32bit OS, 4GB would be enough. I would require 64 Bit OS to use more than 4GB and then i would have to go for a triple boot. :/

USB 3.0: I have a WD MyPassport 1TB USB 3.0 so i want USB 3.0 ports availability.

Time frame: Within 2-3 weeks. If i need to get a custom build, it will take time and i totally understand and can wait.

Thanks in advance.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I just had chat with Dell rep, and he told that we can expect XPS IB iteration with 1080p option by this month end.

But it will set you nearly by 60k, which is in your budget though. And no 17" please, its too bulky. And you don't get option to choose HDD brand in a laptop. And 7200rpm won't matter much (I'm using it). But most probably XPS will have it as an option.

And no point in even thinking of DV6 series.

aroraanant

Explorer
Don't even think of 17" laptops, they are quite huge and heavy.
And I suggest you to wait till the 3rd gen i.e. ivy bridge XPS laptops arrive.
Or you can have a look at Inspiron laptop with Ivy bridge processors.

OP
celldweller1591
Yes, i have seen Inspiron 14R SE and 15R SE with 3rd gen intel proccy. I am waiting and hopefully will get XPS with ivy bridge in july.

Top Bottom