LAN and Broadband how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shri

Always Fresh!
There are two PC's in my house. I've a BSNL broadband internet connection.
The net connection is not shared and is usually connected to any one of the PCs (using a cross-cat cable). Sometimes i need to connect the two PC's together to transfer files between them.
Here's what i want to do.
While switching over from the net connection to LAN, i have to manually enter the TCP/IP configuration(IP address). Again for LAN to net, I've to set it to detect settings automatically. Is there by some means I can do this automatically?
(Plz don't suggest buying a network card. Other than this, something in software only).

OP
shri

shri

Always Fresh!
Its inbuilt Ethernet in both the systems. Buying a lan card will be a waste because one of the PC is of a friend of mine's. He'll be going away in about 4-6 months. Then it'll be redundant.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Seriously how bad is having an extra Lan card around.
The cheapest out there costs Rs 180.And even if you consider your friend is moving out after 4 months, still it will serve you better for those very 4 months.

slugger

Banned
i think if u connect 1 thru usb and d other thru ethernt den u will have both lan and internet workin simultaneously

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
iMav said:
buy another lan card ... thts the only suggestion i hav found ...
I have one more suggestion. Use linux. Linux kernel supports virtual interfaces. So, I can create as many interfaces as I like. But, that divides the card's available transfer rate.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
@shri,
hav u connected modem to ur com using usb or ethernet. ?
tell me ur cables connection.
mehulved said:
I have one more suggestion. Use linux. Linux kernel supports virtual interfaces. So, I can create as many interfaces as I like. But, that divides the card's available transfer rate.
do u mean ip addresses are configured automatically in linux, later we can switch between any interfaces. ?
But, that divides the card's available transfer rate.
??

mehulved

vish786 said:
do u mean ip addresses are configured automatically in linux, later we can switch between any interfaces. ?
No. eg.
eth0 is your interface and it has external ip adress.
You can create
eth0:0, a virtual interface using the same card and it can have internal ip address
I haven't tried 2 external IP's so I don't know what would happen there. Or even 2 internal IP's.
But I believe it should work fine.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
mehulved said:
No. eg.
eth0 is your interface and it has external ip adress.
You can create
eth0:0, a virtual interface using the same card and it can have internal ip address
I haven't tried 2 external IP's so I don't know what would happen there. Or even 2 internal IP's.
But I believe it should work fine.

instead of changing settings everytime in tcp/ip, is can use this option if he has only one ethernet. ?

desai_amogh

In the zone
mehulved said:

tht wudnt make a diff i blive as bsnl will at the most give a rate of 2MBPS & it wud not make a diff for 100/10 mbps card.

another thing he can do is buy a router.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Why do u select static ip in first place?
Isn't automatic allocation of dynamic ip,gateway, DNS by widows OS itself easy enough? or does your broadband requirs static IP?

shri said:
(Plz don't suggest buying a network card. Other than this, something in software only).
I faced the same problem in some offices where I traveled & connected my laptop frequently had static IP setup, I found the following software does save ur profile, but chaging the workgroup & rebooting still may be required in some cases.

Netchange 1.03
google it
Network Profile Manager 1.0.1
*www.softpicks.net/software/Network-Profile-Manager-25062.htm

Net profile switch *www.jitbit.com/netprofileswitch.aspx

You can search on *www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/

many such tools are there.

So now when u change the broad band connection to local LAN, just open the software & apply the selected profile & every setting will be applied.

Does that solve ur problem?

Last edited:
OP
shri

shri

Always Fresh!
vish786 said:
@shri,
hav u connected modem to ur com using usb or ethernet. ?
tell me ur cables connection.
??

Through Ethernet. and the modem has only one Ethernet port.

ranjan2001 said:
Why do u select static ip in first place?
Isn't automatic allocation of dynamic ip,gateway, DNS by widows OS itself easy enough? or does your broadband requires static IP?

for broadband it dynamic ip. so i've to set it to detect settings automatically.
And thx, I'll try the softwares you suggested.

Net profile switch works beautifully. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@mehul the fellow isnt ready to buy a new lan card and u want him to change his OS .... and for some reason i think they will be playing games over lan which again incase of linux is a '?' ....

and as far as usb connectivity is concerned i did go around the market and found that u get only usb 1 conx and that is not good in perfomance .... even if the pc is redundant a lan card in it wont bother u much .... both pcs are urs so u can easily transfer data and use the other as backup ...

IMHO go for 1 more lan card makes more sense

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!
are yaar u spend more than 300 bucks in a mall but cant afford a Lan card ..man this is heights

get one more card and do all ur R&D then yarr

if u want one i can send one to you but u need to pay courier charges of 250 hahahah

mehulved

iMav I didn't address it to him. I just put it up cos you said you weren't aware of any other way.
But, an additional LAN card is the best solution for him. Rs 200-300 for 6 months or so isn't all that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom