Kindly suggest a Laptop for the following requirements

tonmoyfx

Broken In
Hi,

I want to buy a new laptop & my budget is around 40k. (plus-minus 5k)
My requirements are:

High priority:
1) Hardcore programming = processing power must be high. I shall run Java IDE, Databases, App and Web Server + 10 other apps running simultaneously
2) Enough RAM to make my work as swift as possible.
3) Connectivity options: the more the better
4) Battery life
5) Screen size: between 14 to 15. Even 14 will do.
6) No OS. Even DOS or Linux is okay with me.

Medium priority:
1) Screen - good if supports HD
2) graphics

Low priority:
1) Speakers
2) looks

1) What is your budget? (INR)

40k (+- 5k)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Portable + medium weight; 14''-15.6"

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:Dell, Samsung, HP, Acer, Sony
b. Dislike:Toshiba, Asus

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Hardcore programming = processing power must be high. I shall run Java IDE, Databases, App and Web Server + 10 other apps running simultaneously

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
Glossy maybe

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
I've heard that 3rd gen iCore processors are the best for such requirements. But AMD is cheaper but better suited for graphics purposes. I'm a bit confused.
I want no OS and even decent storage like 500GB will do

Can you kindly suggest the best that matches these requirements.

aroraanant

Explorer
Have a look at dell Inspiron 14R/15R, it will fall in your budget and also you will get Windows 7 HP with it that too within the budget.

OP
T

tonmoyfx

Broken In
Have a look at dell Inspiron 14R/15R, it will fall in your budget and also you will get Windows 7 HP with it that too within the budget.

But the processor is 2nd gen iCore. I saw that the new 3rd gen iCore are priced at 51k New! Inspiron 15R Special Edition Laptop Details | Dell India

Are you speaking about *www.flipkart.com/dell-new-inspiron...-1gb-graphics-linux-laptop/p/itmdb7jsyyvwxted

rider

as Kratos
@tonmoyfx
Don't buy dell inspiron 15R if your priority is graphics. It doesn't come with any dedicated GPU under 45k included VAT.
Best you can buy is HP Pavilion G6 Series G6-2016TX It comes with HD 7670M graphics that is good enough to play latest high end games in medium settings. It is new laptop comes with 3rd gen core-i5 processor 4 GB RAM that can be upgraded as it has two free slots. Great thing is flipkart offer comes with 2 years onsite warranty (1 Year Onsite Accidental Damage Protection + 1 Year Onsite Extended Warranty). Also it weighs 2.47kg that is much less than 2.75kg of dell inspiron15r, it comes with hp coolsense technology which keep the laptop cooler in intense usage. That makes it complete VFM in 44.4k :)

Last edited:
OP
T

tonmoyfx

Broken In
@tonmoyfx
Don't buy dell inspiron 15R if your priority is graphics. It doesn't come with any dedicated GPU under 45k included VAT.
Best you can buy is HP Pavilion G6 Series G6-2016TX It comes with HD 7670M graphics that is good enough to play latest high end games in medium settings. It is new laptop comes with 3rd gen core-i5 processor 4 GB RAM that can be upgraded as it has two free slots. Great thing is flipkart offer comes with 2 years onsite warranty (1 Year Onsite Accidental Damage Protection + 1 Year Onsite Extended Warranty). Also it weighs 2.47kg that is much less than 2.75kg of dell inspiron15r, it comes with hp coolsense technology which keep the laptop cooler in intense usage. That makes it complete VFM in 44.4k :)

Thanks for your suggestion. But upon comparison, I can see that the Dell Insipiron is better in most other departments, what say?
Dell New Inspiron 15R 3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ 1GB Graphics/ Linux Laptop vs HP Pavilion G6 Series G6-2016TX Laptop (Sparkling Black) (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win7HB/ 1GB Graphic): Compare Computers: Flipkart.com

rider

as Kratos
that one is with linux so no genuine windows, weighs more than G6, has no full-sized keyboard like hp G6 and has only one onsite year warranty. :? How is it better?? in what department? hmm

battery life of both would be same 3-4 hours.

OP
T

tonmoyfx

Broken In
that one is with linux so no genuine windows, weighs more than G6, has no full-sized keyboard like hp G6 and has only one onsite year warranty. :? How is it better?? in what department? hmm

battery life of both would be same 3-4 hours.

1. I love Linux, so doesn't matter.
2. 2.5 gm more weight is ok
IN terms of keyboard and warranty, yes.

but

1. The screen is HD, has internal mic, claimed battery backup is more, 3 USB 3.0 ports instead of 2. They are almost neck to neck.

But you're correct too, HP is providing one more year warranty for an extra Rs. 1k.
Any other good lappy you suggest?

rider

as Kratos
1. I love Linux, so doesn't matter.
2. 2.5 gm more weight is ok
IN terms of keyboard and warranty, yes.

but

1. The screen is HD, has internal mic, claimed battery backup is more, 3 USB 3.0 ports instead of 2. They are almost neck to neck.

But you're correct too, HP is providing one more year warranty for an extra Rs. 1k.
Any other good lappy you suggest?

No man, don't be confuse with flipkart specs, hp has HD LED screen and internal mic (every 15" laptop has these basic features :p) and about battery backup it is same they mentioned 6 hours is wrong cause I know it from many users that battery is not more than 3-4 hours. As you said you will use linux, you might get in trouble because you will face difficulty to switch graphics from dedicated to integrated. In radeon graphics which will default remain on in linux you will not get above 2 hours for sure. Inspiron 15R weigh 2.75kg not 2.5kg. And no you dont need to pay anything for extra warranty it is flipkart that is offering you with 2 years onsite warranty by hp. If you face any problem hp will engineer will visit and fix for free of cost for 2 years.

if you want to spend smartly hp is on the top choice and if you want any other buy anything as you wish, it's your money.

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
I have requirements akin to you (if not moar programming) and from my own research (and TDF) I'm inclined towards HP 2000 Series 2124TU @ 35k, since:

1. I'd be installing Linux on it, so don't require Win7
2. I'd never game on it (already have a desktop with 7770) and same for Graphic Designing/Video Editing.
3. Can possible upgrade RAM to +2GB if need arises.
4. No ASUS equivalent in the same price range and I need as cheap as possible.

The lack of a numeric keypad, might be a bit of a problem though.

rider

as Kratos
I have requirements akin to you (if not moar programming) and from my own research (and TDF) I'm inclined towards HP 2000 Series 2124TU @ 35k, since:

2. I'd never game on it (already have a desktop with 7770) and same for Graphic Designing/Video Editing.

Get this HP Laptop Price India, HP 2000-2116TU (3rd Gen core i5/2gb/500gb/DOS),Buy HP Laptops Online - Infibeam.com

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
Get this HP Laptop Price India, HP 2000-2116TU (3rd Gen core i5/2gb/500gb/DOS),Buy HP Laptops Online - Infibeam.com

Besides the fact it's the 2GB model, I think we should rather suggest the OP (and not hijack this thread). When I'd buy one, I'd post a separate thread and consider your helpful & informative opinions :)

OP
T

tonmoyfx

Broken In

That's a nice suggestion. I can very well get an extra monitor for my hardcore programming needs. A 21'' or bigger screen maybe. Thanks for the suggestion. Fits my bill perfectly.

The only problem is that the resolution is 1366 x 768 Pixel. I've a Dell Latitude with the same max resolution and it sucks to do programming on it. What do you think?

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
I'd have to agree with you on this, the resolution plays a very important role while programming (I've got a 23" for that), but honestly I don't think it can get better than this (perhaps a wee bit more wouldn't hurt) on a measly 15" screen. If you'll be using the laptop for your core needs, I suggest you get a separate monitor.

OP
T

tonmoyfx

Broken In
Yeah, I think I need to get a separate monitor too. Gotta check out the monitor section for the best deal. Albeit off topic, do you have any suggestions?

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
From what I've seen Samsung ones are usually the better ones, albeit I got a good deal off my Dell. My knowledge on this is fairly limited, and I insist you ask the veteran members of the respective forums. Good luck.

P.S. You could've gotten a better deal if only an ASUS variant was in market. :|

Last edited:

monsoonwinds

Right off the assembly line
@tonmoyfx

On giving same work load does HP Pavilion G6 Series G6-2016TX will comparatively cooler to Dell Inspiron 15r system...Is hp coolsense technology a successfull one?

rider

as Kratos
On giving same work load does HP Pavilion G6 Series G6-2016TX will comparatively cooler to Dell Inspiron 15r system...Is hp coolsense technology a successfull one?

To be honest, it is really incredible tech developed by hp, really innovative. I personally use a hp laptop it has the same coolsense tech and really satisfied with its performance. In some years I hope other brands like apple, vaio, dell etc will also come with similar thing.

Top Bottom