KIC 8462852 - The WTF Star with possible Alien Superstructures

icebags

Technomancer
Dude, black holes have close to infinite gravity. A star will have no chance against it.

This will happen:
[/IMG]

that would happen according to the known knowledge alright. but there could be micros, or minis.....

here pl go through the small page that i m yet to read : *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_black_hole

Lol it is funny, they made a telescope to look for earth like planets, but the condition is that the chances of finding signs of intelligent life is so remote, that statistically, the mission is never supposed to find any such sign.
What Are the Odds of an Alien Megastructure Blocking Light From a Distant Star?
so It is really weird, because it cannot even be artificial. Now what is left.

people there thinking about dark matter as well.

Last edited:

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
that would happen according to the known knowledge alright. but there could be micros, or minis.....

here pl go through the small page that i m yet to read : *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_black_hole

people there thinking about dark matter as well.

Then that will be a visit to "Event Horizon":eeksign:

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
well, it is dark matter in the sense that it is some unexplained mass of which we know nothing about
is dark matter so clumpy?

it can be a large swarm of really small things. Now the required explanation is what it is doing there. A derelict is a little more probable than something in active use. A hibernating something for a specific purpose perhaps. A civilization that purposely spends large amounts of time in stasis, so they can enjoy the benefits of interstellar travel. Scratch Rama, this is Lockstep. Hopefully, Kepler should find more of the exact light signature.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
well, it is dark matter in the sense that it is some unexplained mass of which we know nothing about
is dark matter so clumpy?

it can be a large swarm of really small things. Now the required explanation is what it is doing there. A derelict is a little more probable than something in active use. A hibernating something for a specific purpose perhaps. A civilization that purposely spends large amounts of time in stasis, so they can enjoy the benefits of interstellar travel. Scratch Rama, this is Lockstep. Hopefully, Kepler should find more of the exact light signature.
Wishfully & hopefully let it be so [MENTION=56202]Anorion[/MENTION] my friend.
Well,is Kepler due for launch next year or 2018?

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
ok here, merged the two graphics in the gizmodo article into one

*i.imgur.com/2hNARNU.jpg

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
thick dust cloud could be, but again, seems like suspiciously persistent one. It should not be there in the timeframe of the discovery and the chances of seeing it are too remote

tkin

Back to school!!
They are speculating that it's a type 2 civilization who have created a dyson sphere. Which is extremely unlikely.

It's most probably an asteroid cluster.

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yeah, but most of these explanations don't actually explain anything
clouds, comets, planetary collisions, asteroid field, dust are one category of explanations
dyson sphere is a category by itself, because any superstructure surrounding a star can be called a dyson sphere, this can range from a grey goo cloud of nanoparticles, a space port of BSNL galactic empire, a derelict, or any of these under construction or in stasis
both of these approaches don't really explain why we are able to spot it, because these are all extremely temporary explanations when it comes to the timescale of stars, or the timescale of such artificial projects or natural explanations and the fleeting window for the observed data. It is an old star.
a reasonable explanation would be something common, a variant or combination of natural known phenomena

- - - Updated - - -

PS there is one tantalizing inverse possibility, we could be interpreting alien superstructures as natural phenomenon all along. Like we have seen signatures of many dyson spheres, but we say oh no aliens are last option, so this is definitely a bunch of planets or a dust cloud

- - - Updated - - -

This is a dyson sphere / beacon. The purpose is to let any civilization know that there are others out there. It can be modified to broadcast a signal, like a series of prime numbers or a timecode. This explains why it is there, and why we can observe it. However, there is no signal, the variation is chaotic and random.
*i.imgur.com/vjsLZ9C.jpg

This is a complete dyson sphere. A structure that totally surrounds the star, and uses up most of it's energy. This is from close to the star, and infrared of the structure. Otherwise, nothing can be seen.
*i.imgur.com/hDJFeir.jpg

This is a planet with a swarm of satellites, or superstructures around it. Parameters are set to highlight visibility of the planet.
*i.imgur.com/Pob2CNE.jpg

But, this is how it would mostly look. This can also be collision or a planet with a large ring system.
*i.imgur.com/QMtbDU3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Dyson swarm. It's a dyson sphere made up of layers of objects. Something like this most explains what is being observed.
*i.imgur.com/3DiM1EP.jpg

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Creating a dyson sphere with radius larger than the star itself would require trillions of truckloads of materials. I wonder how long it would take an intelligent life-form to build it.

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
There were a bunch of papers, linked in the news articles that explored that question. My understanding is that it is possible with Von Neumann Machines. The start will be slow, but it will snowball quickly.
Well, it gets easy if you have a Dyson Sphere to start with :D

The good news is that planet disassembly using available energy seems feasible in reasonable time scales. Particularly important is the observation that a total of only 12 years of available solar power is required to push all of the matter out of the gravitational wells of all of the planets and asteroids with the exception of Jupiter and Saturn. Less than 100 years is required if we include Saturn but not Jupiter . The bad news is that we do not have even a small fraction of the Sun's power output at our disposal. We must develop an approach which would make available a large amount of power if planet disassembly is to be a realistic discussion.

*web.archive.org/web/20090616110337/*www.aeiveos.com/~bradbury/MatrioshkaBrains/PlntDssmbly.html

*www.fhi.ox.ac.uk/intergalactic-spreading.pdf

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
more weird
[1601.03256] KIC 8462852 Faded at an Average Rate of 0.165+-0.013 Magnitudes Per Century From 1890 To 1989

Top Bottom