Key developer quits Novell over Microsoft patent pact!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Jeremy Allison, a leading Samba developer and well-known open-source speaker, has decided to leave Novell because of his objections to the Microsoft/Novell patent agreement.

In his public letter of resignation, Allison said, "This has been a very difficult decision, but one I feel I have no choice but to make."

"As many of you will guess, this is due to the Microsoft/Novell patent agreement, which I believe is a mistake and will be damaging to Novell's success in the future.

"But my main issue with this deal is I believe that even if it does not violate the letter of the license it violates the intent of the GPL license the Samba code is released under, which is to treat all recipients of the code equally."

Allison had been terribly conflicted about the Microsoft/Novell patent deal since its announcement. Those who knew him well were not surprised by his decision to leave Novell.

While Richard M. Stallman, the founder and leader of the Free Software Foundation, has said that the Microsoft/Novell agreement doesn't appear to violate the letter of the GPLv2, many open-source supporters believe, as Allison does, that it violates the GPL's spirit.

Read more about it here

praka123

left this forum longback
What is Novell's future plans...
though not related,
without Samba-how to share files btw Win and Lin....
Already Win Vista smb isn't compatible with samba?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well I don't think Samba development will really stop. Anyone else can take up the project too.
And he will finish his commitments that he's kept with Novell till 29th of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom