Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
gx_saurav said:
And they don't charge for support?

Don't M$ then ??

And Ravi,
I think kids don't need to play games which need DirectX to play! U might needed it. But all kids are not as smart as you! :D Hope, u got the point now... ;)

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
The bottom line is.. the news is the real deal, it's done.. so shutup now :D **

**pun for broadminded, attack for fanboys

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Secondly, NO wonder your knowledge is so utterly poor, because I guess you spend more time playing games while in the classroom

Hey, I used to do drawing in my classroom, during maths or physics class, & I got good marks in 12th, still after 5 years, studying B.Com, & working as a CAD designer, I now have a career in "drawing" only.

You never know, playing games might entice him towards game desigining & developing which I hope u know is a market as big as hollywood.

Don't M$ then ??

MS charges, so does Linux for support, so why do u say MS is evil but Linux isn't.

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
MS charges, so does Linux for support, so why do u say MS is evil but Linux isn't.

Because M$ is a single company which does it's job according to 2 or 3 people's directions(CEO, chairman etc.) and money is their ultimate goal. It's like a single king trying to say what's best for it's people which is more or less dictatorship.

But linux is a whole community, every move it makes benefits everyone and not just one company and it's not about the money.

Linux is Democracy, Windows is Dictatorship. Nothing better to describe the difference between them!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Why do u always take MS in the wrong sense. They have a product, they are teaching the kids how to use it, program for it, etc etc

Since Linux also has this, Linux should also teach kids the same thing.

Schools should teach both.

I take your point on choice gx_saurav, but should schools pay for Windows? It's not like they are buying Linux and shutting out Windows. If Microsoft were to give Windows licences for free to schools and their students, under a special licensing scheme, the "cost factor" would not be an issue. When you have a competitor like Linux, I think the onus is on Microsoft. Again, I want to stress, you cannot force or insist that the state buy windows licenses when a free equally good alternative is available.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
But linux is a whole community, every move it makes benefits everyone and not just one company and it's not about the money.

Right, but companies which u mentioned like Red Hat or Novell make money on the work of the community & get rich, they don't pay back to the community in money, do they?

I ask you, is it wrong to make money? If I have made a super beautiful & efficient engine design should I show it to everyone or give the design for free, leaving all my research & developement costs.

Going Open Source saves R & D cost of any company, this is the primary reason for any company to go open source. Why do u think ATI recently open sourced some part of there OpenGL drivers??? Simple, they lack the money & resources to develop OpenGL as well as DirectX drivers right now due to low on money after ATI's purchase. They are developing the DirectX drivers in house while they have opened the OpenGL drivers, let the community make the driver for OpenGL which they will simply use in Windows environment too....they don't need to pay for the R&D of OpenGL drivers now.

In return, the Linux community will buy there graphics hardware & use the Open Source OpenGL ICD for use in Linux. Linux users get to use Linux but they still need to buy ATI card to use it....who is winning here???? users or ATI???

Linux is Democracy, Windows is Dictatorship.
Nothing better to describe the difference between them!

Ya, democracy like this sux.....I am seriously in favor of a controlled & strict communism in India too :D

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
Doesn't matter if they teach Linux, it's only at school or college students are going to use them, after they pass out high-school they are going to get windows.

And the biggest reason for that is why will some one spend 2hrs searching the net and waste bandwidth when the same can be done at 5secs on windows.

Simplicity sells. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
If Microsoft were to give Windows licences for free to schools and their students, under a special licensing scheme, the "cost factor" would not be an issue.

I hope you know about education License of Microsoft??????? Well, sure u don't. They are already doing this.

Here in Lucknow, any Computer Science or IT Student in IET college lucknow (biggest engg college here) can simply get a license for XP/Vista/.net/Server 2008 for a far lower price, after showing his college ID card & other documents etc, cos IET is in collaboration with MS.

Since most of the users don't know about Windows & Microsoft's licensing scheme etc, they think MS is evil.

Since most of the users don't know about KDE, amarok, Gnome, Excile, they think Linux is for geeks.

We need awareness for both, not just Linux or not just Windows.

Last edited:
OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
I ask you, is it wrong to make money?

There is a hell lot of a difference between, "it's just about the money" and "it's about the money"

Going Open Source saves R & D cost of any company, this is the primary reason for any co
inux users get to use Linux but they still need to buy ATI card to use it....who is winning here???? users or ATI???

As far as what I believe, there is a slight un-notice-able ethical difference between OSS software companies and Linux, don't confuse both.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
There is a hell lot of a difference between, "it's just about the money" and "it's about the money"

Ok, thanx for telling me that Red Hat & Novell are supporting Linux & giving support only for there own Linux distribution, using the developement of Fedora to use in there server OS, using the developement of OSS to make money is cos they want to make the world a better place for generations to come. They don't need money, they don't need to pay developers, it's all about the generosity of Linux & these companies. :D

As far as what I believe, there is a slight un-notice-able ethical difference between OSS software companies and Linux, don't confuse both.

So, Linux is good....but making money through Linux is bad, so isn't Read Hat as evil as Microsoft? Red hat only supports RPM officially in Fedora, why can't they give the user a choice & let him use deb only system.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
hey can some one explain the FOSS ??
Some FOSS expert please enlighten this thing !

Can something licensed under GPL/GNU thing be used for commercial purposes or not ??

PS : Say Yes or No, Links with pages and paragraphs to be considered bad answers !

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
hey can some one explain the FOSS ??
Some FOSS expert please enlighten this thing !

Can something licensed under GPL/GNU thing be used for commercial purposes or not ??

PS : Say Yes or No, Links with pages and paragraphs to be considered bad answers !
AFAIK - NO !!!

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
But what's the government gonna do about the windows key on the keyboard ;) how are they gonna get rid of that :D.

*static.howstuffworks.com/gif/keyboard-12.jpg

*pcgeekdom.com/images/forblogs/windowkey.jpg

*www.simplehelp.net/images/winkey/windowskey00.jpg

:lol::lol:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, Linux users will now stop buying keyboard of logitech etc because it doesn't have a Penguin Key :D

They are going to file a petition against all input device companies for giving a keyboard with Windows Key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom