Kaspersky Lab Discovers First iPod-Specific Virus!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Kaspersky Lab Discovers First iPod-Specific Virus

Russian computer security company Kaspersky Lab announced on Thursday that it had discovered the first virus designed specifically to infect iPods. The catch? You actually have to put it on your iPod-and your iPod needs to have Linux installed on it.

The virus, dubbed Podloso, is what's known as a "proof of concept" virus-or one that is created in order to demonstrate that it is possible to infect a specific platform. As such, the company said that it does not pose any real threat.

If installed on an iPod, Podloso proceeds to further replicate itself to the folder that contains program demo versions, according to Kaspersky Lab.

"Once launched, the virus scans the device's hard disk and infects all executable .elf format files," the company said in a statement. "Any attempt to launch these files will cause the virus to display a message on the screen which says 'You are infected with Oslo the first iPodLinux Virus.'"

Kaspersky Lab stressed that Podloso does not carry a malicious payload and is unable to spread.

Despite Kaspersky's claim that Podloso is the first iPod virus discovered, a small number of iPods were actually shipped with a Windows virus installed on them last October.

Less than 1 percent of the video iPods sold after Sept. 12 were infected with the Windows RavMon.exe virus, Apple said. Furthermore, it only affected Windows computers and was easily detected and removed with up-to-date anti-virus software.

Courtesy: PCMAG

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Despite Kaspersky's claim that Podloso is the first iPod virus discovered, a small number of iPods were actually shipped with a Windows virus installed on them last October.
The iPod virus affected Windows, not iPods.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
You actually have to put it on your iPod-and your iPod needs to have Linux installed on it.

Why do I think there is more chance of the iPod getting stolen from one's pocket?

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I think this is a joke too. How the hell do we install Linux on the iPod? We can't even install games on the iPod other than those in the iTunes Store, so it's less likely that Linux could be installed on iPods.

eddie

El mooooo
nepcker said:
I think this is a joke too. How the hell do we install Linux on the iPod? We can't even install games on the iPod other than those in the iTunes Store, so it's less likely that Linux could be installed on iPods.
*www.ipodlinux.org/Main_Page
iPodLinux is an open source venture into porting Linux onto the iPod. iPodLinux is currently safe to install on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation iPods. Development is currently on-going on later generations of iPod, including the fourth generation click wheel, mini, U2, Photo/Color, Nano, and Video.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
nepcker said:
I wonder you mustn't have even heard of rockbox?
I hope you do know about flashing of firmware and stuff, atleast heard about it, if not done it.

mail2and said:
Why do I think there is more chance of the iPod getting stolen from one's pocket?
And then the theif will put virus on it and return the ipod back to you.

Last edited:

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I wonder you mustn't have even heard of rockbox?
I hope you do know about flashing of firmware and stuff, atleast heard about it, if not done it.
Yes. I've flashed my BIOS once. Though hadn't heard of Linux on iPod.

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
For all those who are thinking it as a joke, check out this link from F-Secure and change your thoughts!

*www.f-secure.com/weblog/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom