It's Legal to Run OS X on PCs with EFI-X Donglen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
*news.softpedia.com/images/newsrsz/Statement-It-039-s-Legal-to-Run-OS-X-on-PCs-with-EFI-X-Dongle-2.png

Muzzle, a Dutch Hackintosh community site, has posted an interview with Davide Rutigliano, the co-creator of the EFI-X hack dongle and CEO of Art Studios Entertainment Media. Davide weighs in on the legality of the product and on what its future may be. Clearly a PC running Mac OS X is an intriguing subject, so we encourage you to read on.

The EFi-X dongle is the last step towards porting Mac OS X to the PC without leaving anything important behind. Certain system requirements have to be met, of course, but if you pack the necessary hardware, reviewers say the experience is much better than with a typical Hackintosh. In fact, some say it works perfectly! Think this sounds too good to be true, or... legal? Think again, says Davide.

“...We implement real EFI in our device. There is nothing that links our product to the hack world... Yes, it is [legal]. We made sure to create a product that goes in the same direction of all other computer companies and not against them in any way.”

With Mac-cloners like Psystar out there getting on Apple's nerves in a similar manner, the interviewers go on to ask Davide if they did any research to see whether Apple would sue them too for the EFI-X dongle. It is well known that Apple's EULA strictly forbids PC owners to run OS X, and that only Apple computers should be able to boot it. However, Davide reveals that, unlike Psystar, they're selling something else.

“It is possible that we will go to court with Apple, but most likely *supporting* them, in case we ever find out that someone is selling PCs with our module installed. Selling a computer that can boot OSX is a unique right that only Apple has. And we enforce it.” Davide explains.

ASEM's CEO avoided to provide a straightforward answer when asked whether Apple had contacted them in regards to their controversial EFI-X device. However, he strongly believes Apple's alright with it. “For sure they don't hate us, that is saying enough,” Davide argues.

Source

Pat

Beyond Smart
He says its legal and we believe him :lol:
In any case, how is it different from a hacked OS X installation as far as apple is concerned ? I dont understand why/how would one be legal and other, illegal.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
So according to all this; SELLING a pre-configured PC with the dongle which runs MAC OSX is illegal.

“It is possible that we will go to court with Apple, but most likely *supporting* them, in case we ever find out that someone is selling PCs with our module installed. Selling a computer that can boot OSX is a unique right that only Apple has. And we enforce it.” Davide explains.

BUT buying a PC, and THEN using the dongle to emulate the EFI is not? I just dont understand this legal-illegal b$. :neutral:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Not illegal but in breach of Apple EULA. It is not a crime its a breach of contract. Imagine if you can somehow get apple branded pendrive or portable HDD and RAM (which I know is not the case), you are technically not doing even that coz OS still resides on Apple hardware.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Yeah, Apple will hafta keep updating the EULA for preventing OS X to be run on non-Apple computers. But in any case, on non-Apple computers its a PITA to maintain a working copy of OS X. As of today, I'm yet to see a person who's running OS X on a PC as his full time OS without any maintenance/problems (if using the Software Update feature).

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Its like this - You cannot drive a container truck in the local roads, only in highways. But, for $155, you can buy a new vehicle battery, that makes everyone view the vehicle as a bicycle. Easy-peasy, but legal? naah.

But this brings us to another question - Is running OSX on virtual machines legal? Because both simulate a mac, and Apple clearly doesnt like its OS running on nonmacs.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Arrey thread starter, don't take sooo much tension, as if sm1 will come to ur house to check dude!!!! do whatever u feel like and chill, relax

You can't change the terms under which your product is leased after the client has made full payment for the lease period (life time in case of OSX) of the product. So those who already bought a license for Mac 10.5, they are lucky.

And as for selling the device with a non apple PC, there is NOTHING wrong in making a system capable of doing something. This device just makes standard PCs behave a little differently. Apple has not patented EFI to stop others from having mac like abilities.

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Arrey thread starter, don't take sooo much tension, as if sm1 will come to ur house to check dude!!!! do whatever u feel like and chill, relax

Are tumse kisne kaha main tension le raha hun. I am happy with my Hacintosh without EFIX :p

Legal or Illegal : " Mujhe Jo sahi lagta hai main karta hun. Chahe vo is desh ke samaj ke ya Kanoon ke khilaaf hi kyon na ho " :lol:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Running a Copy of Windows without a valid licence is Illegal, does any one care? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom