Issue while installing windows 7 x64

arian29

In the zone
I am installing windows 7 x64. When i reach the partition option, i want to create a partition of 100gb for drive C wherein the OS will be installed. However when i create the partition , setup creates a partition of 100mb before it as system partition and the one i created becomes primary. This was not the case earlier(before hardware upgrade, it was x86). Earlier i had the system partition of 80gb which is where i install the OS.
Please suggest if something is wrong or am i missing something ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
no idea about what you did earlier but creating a 100mb system partition is the default behaviour of all windows 7 versions(32/64bit).the reason being this system partition contain essential windows files which can be used to boot into a bare minimum windows repair mode if something happens to C drive.this partition also tell system where your primary/OS install partition is to boot from.

Vignesh B

Youngling
I am installing windows 7 x64. When i reach the partition option, i want to create a partition of 100gb for drive C wherein the OS will be installed. However when i create the partition , setup creates a partition of 100mb before it as system partition and the one i created becomes primary. This was not the case earlier(before hardware upgrade, it was x86). Earlier i had the system partition of 80gb which is where i install the OS.
Please suggest if something is wrong or am i missing something ?
There is nothing wrong in that. In fact that partition is a system partition and contains boot files. It is used for Windows Recovery Environment, and for Bitlocker for those editions that support it.
If you don't want that partition you can always create the partitions before hand using utilities like parted magic and then install windows into it.

Top Bottom