Is Unlimited really Unlimited?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi Guys,

This thing is going over my head....

I use Tata Photon+ 20GB pack(60days validity)....
& they call it unlimited...which i dont think so....

I doubt whether the 256/512 KBps or 2Mbps broadband from other ISP such as MTNL/BSNL/Airtel etc give unlimited download

because i heard saying netusers "I have Unlimited Plan so i can download as much data...as I want....."

Is there any catch???

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
BSNL's 512Kbps plan is really unlimited without any catch. Plans with higher speed have fair usage policy and as Faun said it all started by Airtel.

So these guys are actually making fool of people by calling these plans unlimited which in real, they are not.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The unlimited plan is unlimited for sure. But they implement FUP. I.E. if u r having an 1Mbps plan, the condition is like till 25GB u'll get 1Mbps speed beyond that 256Kbps, but no cap or extra charges on rest of the downloads.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
but this way it is not 1Mbps plan...it should be called variable speed plan...!

@rhitwick: I am not questioning you...I just hate these oversmart guys who know well how to use * Conditions Apply for their benefit.

There are already limited download plans suited for those who do not download much. I do not understand why can't these ISPs provide real unlimited download plans with no conditions at whatever cost feasible.

abhidev

Human Spambot
If you are getting unlimited plan...than surely it won't be more than 512kbps for the entire plan..as suggested it will be 1/2 mbps for initial 10gb or so and then the speed lowers down...

prasathlr

Broken In
I am using Airtel Broadband, My plan was 1Mbps unlimited for Rs.499. But they upgraded me to 2Mbps Unlimited saying that they are going to introduce Fair Usage Poilcy (FUP) and said that after 30GB download my speed will decrease to 1Mbps.
i got the message from AIRTEL saying i had crossed my 30 GB download and FUP will be applied but surprisingly my net speed never got decreased than 2Mbps. Its still at 2Mbps and its been almost a year now since i took the plan. No change in speed and I download a 700MB file in 50 minutes :)

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
The unlimited plan is unlimited for sure. But they implement FUP. I.E. if u r having an 1Mbps plan, the condition is like till 25GB u'll get 1Mbps speed beyond that 256Kbps, but no cap or extra charges on rest of the downloads.

oh...so speed is getting reduced.........but do they mention this in their plan?
& did u guys have calculated how much total data u downloaded in 1month with no extra charges.....

have crossed 1TB data download in 1 month in unlimited but not paid a penny extra......???

@prasathlr: 700mb in 50mins wow...how much is download speed u get.....???

Last edited:

vav

Broken In
My ISP provider start this FUP 2 months ago without informing.
all unlimited plans now has FUP which sucks
now i hav to schedule downloading on sunday(which is free)
MTNL is best when its come to plans but if link get breakdown then pray for god
by the way
its impossible to download 1 TB
even for 2mbps corporate leaseline

sujoyp

Grand Master
BSNL and MTNL does not have any FUP or upper limit in Unlimited...I download nearly 80-100GB using BSNL 700..

And used to download nearly 120gb with 550combo(night unlimited)

One of my friend got 15 days unlimited with bsnl new connection and he downloaded nearly 250gb that month

All others companies have some conditions apply:?

azzu

AJJU
used to download btw 60-80 gb on my bsnl 512kbps plan...
bt now with this beam (786kbps plan) below 50 gb..
they got fup of 50 gb and after that speed reduces to 256 kbps...

msankadi

Broken In
go for reliance broadband or wimax...

they dont have any FUP policy and you get a True Unlimited plan...god i hate airtel for making me add one adjective in front of unlimited...unlimited should be unlimited period

abhidev

Human Spambot
go for some local ISPs as they provide internet at cheaper rates and also you hv access tot he local hub where all the users in that particular area can share data...sometimes you don't hv to even download anything from the net...you'll get it from the other users itself....but their internet service is not reliable...

vav

Broken In
Local hubs are things of past.
providers hardly allow them now days.its consume bandwidth and no one goes for higher net plan!!!!!!
there was time when i used to download everything from hub but now its all frm torrent.
only MTNL n BSNL r best for home user .
other problem for RESIDENTIAL connection is that they donot allow other port traffic like ftp/ms-remote terminal -3389. I personally requested but they refuse saying DOT policy cant allow home users access to port other than std permitable port.
wireless broadband users can access them but not home users.

abhidev

Human Spambot
Local hubs are things of past.
providers hardly allow them now days.its consume bandwidth and no one goes for higher net plan!!!!!!
there was time when i used to download everything from hub but now its all frm torrent.
only MTNL n BSNL r best for home user .
other problem for RESIDENTIAL connection is that they donot allow other port traffic like ftp/ms-remote terminal -3389. I personally requested but they refuse saying DOT policy cant allow home users access to port other than std permitable port.
wireless broadband users can access them but not home users.

Hubs are a thing of past now for sure..thanks to the high speed affordable Internet plans...:)

prasathlr

Broken In
oh...so speed is getting reduced.........but do they mention this in their plan?
& did u guys have calculated how much total data u downloaded in 1month with no extra charges.....

have crossed 1TB data download in 1 month in unlimited but not paid a penny extra......???

@prasathlr: 700mb in 50mins wow...how much is download speed u get.....???

Yeah around 250-265 Kbps in torrents.....

Am loving it :) :)
My downloads are more than 50 GB per month but the only prob is my harddisk, its 80 Gb :cry::cry:
so have to delete things.....

Am planning of upgrading very soon :)

Top Bottom