Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Macbook Air

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Notebook

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Just a casual survey as what Digitians think about the new Ultrabook or Sleekbook. If possible also give comments why you choose one over the other.

Sleekbook are Ultrabooks but powered by AMD Trinity processor. No other difference. And may ship with conventional HDD rather than SDD.

aroraanant

Explorer
I own 2 windows based laptops a Macbook Pro.
And I think Ultrabooks are the best.
I don't like AMD laptops, their performance are not that good.
Macbook air is my 2nd option.
And notebooks are good for people want something lil protable in a medium price bracket, it is a substitute a laptop actually which you can carry anywhere.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Ultrabook ,though is nothing what i can call feasible right now,
But Features everything which i need and demand for in my daily work environment.

ULtra Portable Sleek Form Factor(read macbook air like),Performance powerhouse(good enough for my tasks) and Long Battery BACKUP(I can give everything for this...for the performance it offers)..And one more thing..I havent got any issue with intel sitting in my Lappy!!.

Got to use Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook at Dell Store...Mind Boggling.!Exactly what i want.Droollling!!!

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
if i were to choose, it'll be a light weight laptop. Less than 2.5Kg for 15.6" or 2.2Kg for 14". I like Ultrabooks but you end up trading a bit too much. If Ultrabook price remains high and no hybrid HDD solution (HDD with 30-40GB SSD as cache) is offered then Ultrabooks will have really hard time finding a buyer. Specially considering you get 256GB SSD and usually no GPU. All these for 65-70k. not for me.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
intel's been running door to door begging people to make devices as good as macbook air
all these options are exactly as good
thats alot better than the previous attempts

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
i like power on the go and i dont care much about battery life since i always find electricity sockets around me , so what the heck !

sarthak

In the zone
i like power on the go and i dont care much about battery life since i always find electricity sockets around me , so what the heck !

Same here. Ultrabooks sacrifice power for slimness and battery life, both of which I don't require. Add to this the high prices and they turn out to be total deal breakers.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
I have voted for Ultrabooks. Ultrabooks are not for me (though). It will best suit my dad's needs. The Long Battery Life, Light Weight and a Fast SSD is what my dad needs instead of the heavy notebook with poor battery life of <2hrs he has now. If I have money, I would definitely buy one for my dad.

Not only my dad, UltraBooks will be the best option for all business individual. Because. They are not going to play games or use software which require more processing power. What they need is good connectivity features, fast booting time, Light weight to carry around.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Notebook = normal form factor. 35/45 watt laptop processors.
Ultrabook = Intel Ultra Low Voltage (ULV) processors. Ultra-portable form factor controlled by Intel. Manufactured by OEM.
Macbook Air = Apple's ultra-portable with Intel ULV processor.
HP Sleekbook = HP's line of thin ultra-thin notebooks with 35 25 watt AMD Trinity.
Netbooks = Intel Atom or AMD C-50/E-350. Every Intel Atom sucks. Netbook market is nailed on by AMD APUs.

17/25 watt ULV AMD Trinity, yet to come.

Talking of laptops.

AMD A10-4600M = 35 w. Processor performance is between i3-2330M and i5-2410M. i5-2410M should be ~10% faster overall in multi-thread performance and 25% in single-thread performance.

But all the i3/i5/i7-2xxxM have crappy Intel HD 3000 graphics. Add a discrete graphic card and you hurt battery life.

AMD A10-4600M has built-in Radeon HD 7660G which is > 2 times faster than Intel HD 3000. (i7-3xxxQM has Intel HD 4000, but that processor is for $1800 notebooks)

You add a discrete graphic card in a laptop, battery performance gets hurt.

You add a discrete AMD Radeon graphic card with A10-4600M, it gets crossfired with HD 7660G which means even more fast in gaming.

Macbook Pro 13" has i5-2430M and is priced at $1200. Competing i5 laptops from Dell etc. are priced $950. HP Sleekbook has A10-4600M and is priced at $600.

At same rated battery, A10-4600M is slightly more power efficient than i5-2410M, much faster in graphics and slightly slower in CPU.

You'll notice games running faster in A10-4600M rather then the processor being slightly slower than i5-2410M.

In its price range, A10-4600M wins. HP Sleekbook wins hands down vs Ultrabook.

Plus, I can spare $150 for a SSD and put it in HP Sleekbook which will make it miles faster/responsive than any laptop in $750.

------------------------------

Coming to ultra-portables, the only choice is Macbook Air. "Ultrabooks" by HP/Asus/Acer etc. are crappy. Pay slightly more and you can buy Macbook Air. (May be not in India)

Waiting for 17/25w AMD Trinity - which might make going for Macbook Air/Intel ULV stupid.

Sleekbook are Ultrabooks but powered by AMD Trinity processor. No other difference. And may ship with conventional HDD rather than SDD.
Aside from form factor, they are not. - oops! ya they are same with the ULV CPU.

Ultrabooks use ULV processor. AMD's ULV processor is yet to arrive. 25w has arrived. Sleekbooks use normal AMD processor. Form factor may be is similar.

Theodre

In the zone
I chose ultrabook because it becoming the latest trend and it houses huge performance and battery juice :) macbook air is to expensive, netbook not powerful enough and sleekbook is also in my consideration as AMD's APU rumouring to be the next big thing and not because i am an AMD fan :-D

sarthak

In the zone
I chose ultrabook because it becoming the latest trend and it houses huge performance and battery juice :) macbook air is to expensive, netbook not powerful enough and sleekbook is also in my consideration as AMD's APU rumouring to be the next big thing and not because i am an AMD fan :-D

Huge performance ? :lol:
Only if you compare it with netbooks and tablets.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
for now Sleekbook will use the 25W Trinity. And maybe without any additional GPU. Just the ondie one.
k 25 W = A10-4655M.

hallicunations for me. :(

Then Sleekbook is ULV. Not the normal Trinity like I said.

ULV Trinity wins easily against Ultrabooks/MBA because one can game on it. On an Ultrabook, one can't (Intel graphics.)

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
k 25 W = A10-4655M.

hallicunations for me. :(

Then Sleekbook is ULV. Not the normal Trinity like I said.

its LV. ULV one has only 2 core but also clocked low. same as quads. Thats the best AMD can do by keeping TDP @ 17W. but performance will take the biggest hit. 2 core (1 piledriver module), 2/3rd GPU cores, 2Ghz only for the processor. This one going to be the slowest processor AMD has made in quite sometime but at least will run without burning your lap and pocket like Dell XPS 13 does.
Dell XPS 13 looks like a huge disaster to me. Ultrabooks need better cooling. Just packing in a 17W processor doesn't warrant you that your lap will remain intact after an hour of use (these are with SB. God knows what will happen with IB). Now if you are to carry a notebook cooler everywhere you go with the ultrabook, then i don't see whats so ultra about these. Intel just kicked their board partners into a big muddy pit. Softpedia is right. Intel set the stage for AMD's comeback.

where are A10-4655M benchmarks? why only A10-4600M everywhere?

HP Envy Sleekbok sneak premieres in Shanghai with AMD Trinity. AMD didn't want to spoil the party by posting LV processors as most will simply confuse them with the normal 35W trinity and end up criticizing AMD for nothing. or maybe they are not able to make sufficient number of these premium processors so as to send review laptops. even Intel didn't send any ULV based laptop for review when they announced Ivy Bridge :)
still performance is around 75% of 35W A10. Not bad considering these are rated 10W lower.

PS: HP Envy 14 Spectre Ultrabook review. This is one of the best ultrabook available but the pricing will cause even a dead man to come alive: $1199 in the U.S. i.e. 120k here. Other than this only the Asus Zenbook runs cool.

Top Bottom